Lost the best T on the OBX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost the best T on the OBX

Name:  Tater.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  89.9 KB

All these secret spots are now in the drink....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Not totally in the drink,and "supposedly" will be rebuilt with aid of nps.......... An OI captain called me going through Pea Island yesterday on my way to Manteo.. He informed me there were 10 caught that night and he caught three of those.. It is not totally over,but he also told me the folks were still packed in one spot.. Tried to talk the Tater into going last night as it was sw,but he said "no way in hell was he going to be in that mess"...... Guess he kinda takes after dad. Anyway,guess I be under the knife this winter to try and get my right side working again.. As is,can barely handle a light spinning rod.. Or will be lefty forever.. Got a heaver down decent,but spinner has right arm involved in fighting fish a bit more....... Hope you get down a few more times this next year...

If this continues, eventually Jennettes will be the only one standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumdum View Post
    Not totally in the drink,and "supposedly" will be rebuilt with aid of nps.......... An OI captain called me going through Pea Island yesterday on my way to Manteo.. He informed me there were 10 caught that night and he caught three of those.. It is not totally over,but he also told me the folks were still packed in one spot.. Tried to talk the Tater into going last night as it was sw,but he said "no way in hell was he going to be in that mess"...... Guess he kinda takes after dad. Anyway,guess I be under the knife this winter to try and get my right side working again.. As is,can barely handle a light spinning rod.. Or will be lefty forever.. Got a heaver down decent,but spinner has right arm involved in fighting fish a bit more....... Hope you get down a few more times this next year...
    I have yet another of my SurfSticks on the rod machine for a redu............got a few more old sticks that I will rebuild over the winter, mostly Cobia Sticks and such. I will be all Spiffy in the Spring

Pic of Tater was on the end of Avalon, could not find any of me on Avalon as my Pictures would have been taken pre-Facebook, I came across it the other day, he looks just like his Mother.

Get that Knee rehabbed so that I can go up against Team Wilson again, I have one question though why is that TomH on Team Wilson? Should TomH be on Team Avalon?

Team Rodanthe has pretty much old folks now.........heard that Stanley has serious Health problems and can barely walk now, lives somewhere down in the Panhandle of Florida with his girlfriend taking care of him.

Hopefully NPS will take the job of a Avon Pier rebuild seriously especially since Frisco Pier got jacked.....

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Kenny and tell Tater to get into the Mix....before the Spineys and SandBars take over

Yesterday got a call,it was se wind and air temps felt pretty good.. I had your old rod and was throwing lefty and soaking bait with no luck.. Watched as "last year's MAN" caught 4.. Told him that my hopes were up that with all the action he was getting,MAYBE one might smell my inside bait... About two minutes later it was on.. Got one on the beach,that was my goal and was happy with that,plus things had settled a bit and no one was getting bowed up as I left... No doubt they gottem good last night as tide was set to arrive late.. This year's "MAN" was driving in as I was driving out,I am sure he had to work yesterday and had just got off.. No doubt they smoked em last night..! Anyway,your old rod fights a fish nicely and is kind to this converted lefty....... haha

Yesterday got a call,it was se wind and air temps felt pretty good.. I had your old rod and was throwing lefty and soaking bait with no luck.. Watched as "last year's MAN" caught 4.. Told him that my hopes were up that with all the action he was getting,MAYBE one might smell my inside bait... About two minutes later it was on.. Got one on the beach,that was my goal and was happy with that,plus things had settled a bit and no one was getting bowed up as I left... No doubt they gottem good last night as tide was set to arrive late.. This year's "MAN" was driving in as I was driving out,I am sure he had to work yesterday and had just got off.. No doubt they smoked em last night..! Anyway,your old rod fights a fish nicely and is kind to this converted lefty....... haha
    That particular rod was built at Hatteras Jacks, both Ryan and Jim worked on it. Rod was a custom order with a butt section that had a wrap on reel seat and when it was brand new it was a real pretty stick. I debuted it for Drum on Avalon in Oct. 2004 and some snarky Drum fella came up to me and said that I was copying the Florida Twin's color scheme of Carolina Blue. It was actually a copy of a rod I built in the 1980's for a pin rigging fighting rod. That Florida DrumPro had not yet been encumbered by Family life and he was much more of a presence like every day and night for 70-90 days straight he was the machine I built a Zzplex Heaver in 1992 using the same color scheme of Carolina Blue. I may just build a popping rod this same color scheme this weekend for old times sake.

Before WRI came along and before Penn Fathoms and Seiglers and before Century and CTS, the 2nd gen 1509 was the rod. 15 years ago when I was more in my prime there was a Fall day on Avon when no one had a bait further out than mine and some of the folks who smoke me today were all a bit inshore...the rod resting in the notch on the rail was that same stick you used to put one on the beach last Sunday afternoon, I know that Tater had it re-done and good to hear it is still catching.

Below is this 1509 leaning on the rail by the sink last Drum of the year Avon Pier December 2017. Hope to see more pictures of it in the future around large Drum Found the Picture on Avon's website not sure who took it. I posted it on another thread yesterday but this is about the history of your lefty stick. Get your Knee rehabbed and I will see you in the Spring

Name:  Avon Drum.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  69.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Garboman View Post
    That particular rod was built at Hatteras Jacks, both Ryan and Jim worked on it. Rod was a custom order with a butt section that had a wrap on reel seat and when it was brand new it was a real pretty stick. I debuted it for Drum on Avalon in Oct. 2004 and some snarky Drum fella came up to me and said that I was copying the Florida Twin's color scheme of Carolina Blue. It was actually a copy of a rod I built in the 1980's for a pin rigging fighting rod. That Florida DrumPro had not yet been encumbered by Family life and he was much more of a presence like every day and night for 70-90 days straight he was the machine I built a Zzplex Heaver in 1992 using the same color scheme of Carolina Blue. I may just build a popping rod this same color scheme this weekend for old times sake.

Before WRI came along and before Penn Fathoms and Seiglers and before Century and CTS, the 2nd gen 1509 was the rod. 15 years ago when I was more in my prime there was a Fall day on Avon when no one had a bait further out than mine and some of the folks who smoke me today were all a bit inshore...the rod resting in the notch on the rail was that same stick you used to put one on the beach last Sunday afternoon, I know that Tater had it re-done and good to hear it is still catching.

Below is this 1509 leaning on the rail by the sink last Drum of the year Avon Pier December 2017. Hope to see more pictures of it in the future around large Drum Found the Picture on Avon's website not sure who took it. I posted it on another thread yesterday but this is about the history of your lefty stick. Get your Knee rehabbed and I will see you in the Spring

Name:  Avon Drum.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  69.7 KB
    Yep,that is the rod... Fla guy told me it isn't EXACTLY his colors,but they are close,he and his brother are using the same colors they used back in the 70's.. Tater hasn't redone you're old 09 yet,hopefully in the winter it will be sporting my colors from the 70's... Don't expect to catch as many as then,but I'm not as angry with them as I used to be either.... I think that pic of you is the last time you were down and staying in the rooms?? There is a lot more beach in that pic "pre Dorian" than there is now for sure... Knees are ok,shoulder could be in rehab though.. If it comes out ok,will use that rod for a lefty backup and be throwing my cts...

Attachment 62143 Here is an 80's drum from Rodanthe "you'r old pier"... Note red hair,at the time plenty of it too............... hahaha Name:  kensdrumlongago.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  98.7 KB

@Garbo and @Drumdum - Man I missed you guys and reading all this banter and good stuff. Haven't been on in a while. A thing called life and work keeps getting in the way. I guess its better than the alternative. I'll be down that way again eventually now that I'm close to retirement. At least I won't have to throw left handed ...for now...

Quote Originally Posted by fishbreath View Post
    at least i won't have to throw left handed ...for now...

The link at the bottom of your posts is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by PierRat4Life View Post
    New board,new rules...

New board,new rules...
    Huh ?

Quote Originally Posted by PierRat4Life View Post
    This one was not dead though.....

Name:  1463535_872869412758199_4558807953393038493_n.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  73.7 KB

That's a fat one

Quote Originally Posted by 40inchreds View Post
    That's a fat one
    Had a bad taste joke I changed my mind on. The fish pictured is part of the North Beach subspecies.

That was the year of the bigguns in 2014... Got pinned in the corners of that pier fighting bigguns a bunch of times that year!!

That fat bull red is almost as big as the old phart holding it...........

Garbo,got the pic up that time,after editing... It was from Rodanthe back in the 80s..Name:  80sdrum.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  53.8 KB

Garbo,got the pic up that time,after editing... It was from Rodanthe back in the 80s..Name:  80sdrum.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  53.8 KB
    Same Pier 15 Years ago when most of current DrumPunks were in Grammar School and not as many folks could put a bait out further than me. Beard went white, I grew weaker over time. and hair went a little grey, but still have plenty of it Was benching multiple reps 450 on the Cybex bench press machine in those days, tried multiple times to get to 500lbs. on that machine but never did, kept separating muscles in my neck and chest trying for 500lbs. It was only 50 additional pounds but when you have reached your limit, that is the limit....... Look forward to catching a few more in 2020.

Name:  Michael-drum-05-2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  19.4 KB

Tournament Officials are conducting official counts but it looks like this is the MAN 2019. Tournament officials do not own the rights to this photo, it was borrowed from internet for discussion purposes only. Any copyright infringement issues or complaints should be directed to MAN Tournament legal representative firm Barrow Bristow and Spongen LLP. Remember it is all tied up now in 2020 and if you got what it takes.....get on the beach this spring and make it happen.

Name:  80454387_1198531613684860_7330088145687412736_o.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  11.7 KB
    Last edited by Garboman; 01-01-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Looks like there is going to be some tough competition for the title in 2020. Zing has every intention on repeating but a former winner is now self employed and wants the title back. Just curios if you have a list of former winners by year Garbo? Would be interesting to see what you and Drumdum could come up with.

I've been doing a little work on the Fathoms With the help of Biker Ricky, looking to gain a little more distance and hopefully up my numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Looks like there is going to be some tough competition for the title in 2020. Zing has every intention on repeating but a former winner is now self employed and wants the title back. Just curios if you have a list of former winners by year Garbo? Would be interesting to see what you and Drumdum could come up with.

I've been doing a little work on the Fathoms With the help of Biker Ricky, looking to gain a little more distance and hopefully up my numbers.
    I have three Fathom's but if I speed them up it may just create problems, let me know what you and the Biker are up to with the adjustments and what works, I could use help with my distance also.

I saw a picture of a Street Sign on the outer highway in Nags Head, is that the person you are now referring to as self-employed? I saw some WRI Blanks for sale at the same website. The MAN tournament does strange things to people, some get mad and quit Drum Fishing if they lose...some get mad and quit their jobs

In the 1980's Larry H..k was the MAN a lot of the time, Larry was a former North American distance casting champion and he was big like you and really smooth. There was also a guy named Jay "The Hopper" and there was also the Twin from Oregon Inlet who if not for time constraints from his Day Job would be at or near the top. "The Hopper" got married I think, I have not seen him in nearly 30 years. Larry H..k moved to Ohio, does not fish anymore. So two of the finest casters to ever set foot on a plank are gone in the wind..... 25 Drum in one season was a big number in the 1980's. There was also Mike H..ys who was the MAN on Avon Pier in the 1970's-1980's Mike H..ys was still fishing in 2007 but I have not seen him around lately

Here is what the list like during the 1990's, records are spotty from those days but this is the what I remember, DD can chime in and adjust the timing on the year(s) he was the MAN, or for errors on my part in trying to remember through the 420 years of my life.
    There were other people who were real good but there was one was outstanding, he fished Fenwick SurfSticks and mostly I remember him using Red 9000C's. 40-50 Drum was a big number in the 1990's.

1990- Twin from Florida
    1991- Twin from Florida
    1992- The "Hopper"
    1993- Twin from Florida
    1994- Twin from Florida
    1995- DD
    1996- Twin from Florida
    1997- Twin from Florida
    1998- Twin from Florida
    1999- Twin from Florida
    2000- Twin from Florida

Twin from Florida in the early days, pretty much fished every tide day and night for 3 months in the Fall, none in Spring due to his Day Job. It was like a job for him mostly on Avon Pier, but also as far North as Sand Bridge and the State Line in Currituck County. The rest of us were part time DrumPro's or DrumRookies in my case as we had to work. It was real cold in those days, not like today. Today the Twin has time constraints with his Family. Time is a major factor, you have to be a great caster, have great bait, but most importantly you have to have bait in the water when the Drum are there.

I will get to the 2000's and 2010's in another post when the numbers of Drum exploded due in my mind to the REC Ban.
    Last edited by Garboman; 01-02-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Congrats to Lee on another lifetime achievement award. Not only did he win The Man 2019 but he put an 80+ Lb Cobia on the beach. One of those spring nights I am pretty sure he put 17 big ones on the sand. Awesome year of fishing!

I just got done hijacking a few threads so I thought I would comment on this one since it has an open policy of hijacks are just fine.....

I am thinking of bombing out baits late at night.

I have yet to test case my custom G-Man static mag Daiwa 20, it is currently mounted on a Surf Stick and it looks like it will be decent for beach work, especially if I am not around any DrumPros picking off fish before they swim into my impact zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Garboman View Post
    I have three Fathom's but if I speed them up it may just create problems, let me know what you and the Biker are up to with the adjustments and what works, I could use help with my distance also.

I saw a picture of a Street Sign on the outer highway in Nags Head, is that the person you are now referring to as self-employed? I saw some WRI Blanks for sale at the same website. The MAN tournament does strange things to people, some get mad and quit Drum Fishing if they lose...some get mad and quit their jobs

In the 1980's Larry H..k was the MAN a lot of the time, Larry was a former North American distance casting champion and he was big like you and really smooth. There was also a guy named Jay "The Hopper" and there was also the Twin from Oregon Inlet who if not for time constraints from his Day Job would be at or near the top. "The Hopper" got married I think, I have not seen him in nearly 30 years. Larry H..k moved to Ohio, does not fish anymore. So two of the finest casters to ever set foot on a plank are gone in the wind..... 25 Drum in one season was a big number in the 1980's. There was also Mike H..ys who was the MAN on Avon Pier in the 1970's-1980's Mike H..ys was still fishing in 2007 but I have not seen him around lately

Here is what the list like during the 1990's, records are spotty from those days but this is the what I remember, DD can chime in and adjust the timing on the year(s) he was the MAN, or for errors on my part in trying to remember through the 420 years of my life.
    There were other people who were real good but there was one was outstanding, he fished Fenwick SurfSticks and mostly I remember him using Red 9000C's. 40-50 Drum was a big number in the 1990's.

1990- Twin from Florida
    1991- Twin from Florida
    1992- The "Hopper"
    1993- Twin from Florida
    1994- Twin from Florida
    1995- DD
    1996- Twin from Florida
    1997- Twin from Florida
    1998- Twin from Florida
    1999- Twin from Florida
    2000- Twin from Florida

Twin from Florida in the early days, pretty much fished every tide day and night for 3 months in the Fall, none in Spring due to his Day Job. It was like a job for him mostly on Avon Pier, but also as far North as Sand Bridge and the State Line in Currituck County. The rest of us were part time DrumPro's or DrumRookies in my case as we had to work. It was real cold in those days, not like today. Today the Twin has time constraints with his Family. Time is a major factor, you have to be a great caster, have great bait, but most importantly you have to have bait in the water when the Drum are there.

I will get to the 2000's and 2010's in another post when the numbers of Drum exploded due in my mind to the REC Ban.
    During those times post,I also was a parttimer,Joker.. Twin from Fla won many,one of mine wasn't mentioned,as well as a few of Russel the other redhead as well......... Back then,we had no numbers like today,if you passed 20 you were doing something.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12