Lost the best T on the OBX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost the best T on the OBX

Lost the best T on the OBX

Looks like another fine T has bit the dust.

Only 2 remaining besides Sharkman's pier.

I first set foot on Avalon in 1966. Seen a lot of grand fish come up on its decks. Seen a lot of changes over the years and most of them were not good.

Glad Romeo and Joe Mullet did not live to see it.

Guess I will be crowding the rail at that public pier that shuts down right in the middle of prime time and has the light poles dead in my way. May use a pendulum cast if I can clear the railing safely on the forward drop portion of the cast.

1987 Avalon Pier Summer, Avalon had 15 feet of water off the end at high tide and Nags Head Pier had 12 feet. Avalon had been decking around 5 to 7 kings every day for a week and Nags Head had had but one or two, so I decided to Traitor Fish on a weekend......

I put anchor line out on the South Side of Avalon T and went to the surf to jig for bait.

Came back with a bait and when I got to the end my anchor line was cut off at the rod tip, burned by a cigarette actually.

Re-tied and put another anchor out.

Bait died, so I went to the surf to get another bait.

Came back out and anchor line again burned off at the rod tip. Romeo and the others were looking away out to sea, pretending not to notice.....

Fellas who gripe these days out being assigned a spot in a lottery, have no idea what it was like when the decks were smeared with blood and swirls of silver.......seemingly all summer long.....
    Last edited by Garboman; 09-16-2019 at 04:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

My son just moved to Kitty Hawk in May and this was his go to pier whenever there was a north, east or northeast wind chasing Spanish. Great pier, so many guys willing to help and show a newby to the pier on how things work and what he needed to be successful. Spent several weekends with him fishing there and what a blast it was,Fridays and saturday nights were very interesting out on the T. The last night we fished the pier was the Sunday night before the storm and there was some gentlemen out there talking to him about riding out the storm in the pier house with them like they did for the other cat 2 storms. He decided to not take chance in went inshore, i can tell you after listening to those gentlemen talk I wanted to stay! Great pier, good guys and cold beer doesnt get much better. Hopefully they rebuild

The secret Drum Hotline has been quiet, I bet they bite tonight at the Pier near 7 11 that has nice chocolate donuts in the AM. Normally Kyle or his running buddy Travis text me some tales of off the hook bites and ask if I am fishing tonight.....Facebook could be blowing up.....

I tossed my big net this afternoon, all I got with a full pancake was leaves.

I reckon that I have a decent shot if I show up when the fish are around.

For all the fellas who had better bait than me this spring and laughed when I was using hard bloody fatback from Rodanthe......the worm turns and I have the secret FALL spot off Island that maybe only Joker could get into.......Off limits....Big Mullet.....Off limits......XX.stay out of my cooler.XX... maybe Nick can hook you up maybe Nick retired and you can get something frozen out of the back

What goes around comes around or something to that effect, or put it this way....put a nice bloody hard body section of Roe Mullet out in the impact zone and you will meet up with large things that pull drag.

If you find yourself getting out cast by 65 year old and he has better bait....there is always Monday Night Football If I find myself getting out cast by 30 year old with better bait.......I have no one to blame but myself........
    Last edited by Garboman; 09-17-2019 at 05:51 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Big Surf takes its toll.

Nags Head Pier is no more..........
    Avalon is no more.................
    Now Avon is out of action likely for Fall Drum season..................

Tourist pier remains viable up until water temps drop which is inevitable come late November. Tourist Pier is now America's Pier as I have switched allegiances due to unforeseen events.

The best place for late November action is now gone.....gone...... unless they get to work on it tomorrow, which is unlikely.

My strategy is now either ............. or ...................... or else one just trip to Northern OBX and forget about Veterans Day and the PBR.

Avon John's Strategy just got changed too along with DD and Pat and the rest of them.......my misspent Youth and its memories are fading fast....

How the Mighty have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Garboman View Post
    Big Surf takes its toll.

Tourist pier remains viable up until water temps drop which is inevitable come late November. Tourist Pier is now America's Pier as I have switched allegiances due to unforeseen events.

The best place for late November action is now gone.....gone...... unless they get to work on it tomorrow, which is unlikely.

My strategy is now either ............. or ...................... or else one just trip to Northern OBX and forget about Veterans Day and the PBR.

Avon John's Strategy just got changed too along with DD and Pat and the rest of them.......my misspent Youth and its memories are fading fast....

It hurts to the quick Garbo,but we be making do with what we have,and still getting them.. I have to throw lefty now,but can still gettem. Your name has been brought up many times,and believe it or not you are missed.. Obtw,I'm throwing your old 1509 now,fits perfect to my lefty style and now it actually catches some fish without a breakoff............ hahahahah Hope to see ya in new PBR tourney or "Wooden Pier Tourney" on Rodanthe to benefit the two wooden piers on Hatteras Island......

Quote Originally Posted by Drumdum View Post
    It hurts to the quick Garbo,but we be making do with what we have,and still getting them.. I have to throw lefty now,but can still gettem. Your name has been brought up many times,and believe it or not you are missed.. Obtw,I'm throwing your old 1509 now,fits perfect to my lefty style and now it actually catches some fish without a breakoff............ hahahahah Hope to see ya in new PBR tourney or "Wooden Pier Tourney" on Rodanthe to benefit the two wooden piers on Hatteras Island......
    DD glad to see that your back and still getting it done.

Glad I got rid of that 1509, caught a bunch of Drum on that rod but it was mighty unreliable in my paws, prone to both breakoffs and Smoker Sharks...both of which happened with a regularity.

I keep getting delayed for one reason or another, but will be down soon. At least on Rodanthe if I pendulum and have to smash a few things I do not have to worry as much about repercussions.

Big Surf takes its toll.

Frisco was my pier, until it succumbed to the briny blue.....

I loved that wooden lass, she was full of memories and tales. I remember the VaBch Sharkers coming out and fishing all night with tuna heads catching things that made a young boy gasp in awe.....

Now I fish the tourist pier with the other masses.......

Quote Originally Posted by Indy2954 View Post
    Frisco was my pier, until it succumbed to the briny blue.....

I loved that wooden lass, she was full of memories and tales. I remember the VaBch Sharkers coming out and fishing all night with tuna heads catching things that made a young boy gasp in awe.....

Now I fish the tourist pier with the other masses.......
    I remember throwing out big heads on 12/0s and landing hammers that were well over 9',bullsharks,lemons, and duskys that were way over 200,as well as the kings that got stacked like cordwood on a good day. Also remember the cantankerous manager Ellis that ran that pier the way they all should be ran today... Minus that ice tea colored coke that was rum flavored... All the fishing friends I made back then,as well as all the lessons I learned about how to tie a knot and rig,and how to work a fish into a net or gaff.. Yes,she was my favorite.. Shame mother nature is taking them down one by one..

Has the end of avon been repaired yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    No... It may not get fixed for some time.. NPS is going to contribute funds for rebuild... Very complicated on how it all works.. Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth,but this is the same group of folks that regulates our beaches.. I hope it all woks out..

How much of the pier was damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by PierRat4Life View Post
    How much of the pier was damaged?
    it buckled about 30 foot from the end

Also another buckle near surf... They are fishing off it now,but only about a 1/4 of it is being fished...

Also another buckle near surf... They are fishing off it now,but only about a 1/4 of it is being fished...
    I want to make a run down for a day on the 16th hoping for avon. whats my better bet rodanthe? or the point?

If you are after drum,probably the point if weather turns and chills water too much.. If pattern holds with water temps at 58plus Rodanthe stands a chance.. On avon with end still there,no way you could navigate to catch one without it being in a piling.. Not saying you couldn't catch with a stiff current one way or the other,but odds wouldn't be in your favor..........

Thanks Drumdum. With avon being out was leaning toward the point. Planks make things easier on a quick trip though. Less to clean.

Not sure if I am coming down this weekend or not to Rodanthe, do not feel a great deal of love for being crowded, got waylaid by work matters and had to put off heading South when it was better weather.

One thing I am sure of is that every time I click on a page on this website now no matter if it is Internet Explorer or Google Chrome I am being screwed over by a pop-up box asking me if I really want to leave this page. Yes I want to leave the page, that's why I clicked on another link. A couple more days of this and I will be done, like Skunk King and Dave and some fellas who passed on...............not trying to elicit responses about my absence, but was wondering if others had the same issue I am having with navigating this site.

Garbo - sometimes I'll have trouble staying signed in, as I go back and forth from into a thread, then clicking back to What's New at the top. Being signed in prevents the ads between the posts on any thread. There was a period a couple weeks ago that even after I'd sign in, and I saw my username at the top right of the page, once I clicked into a post - I'd get signed out. I only use this site from Chrome on a desktop - the mobile experience (even when viewing in Desktop mode) was always clunky for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jef400dread View Post
    Garbo - sometimes I'll have trouble staying signed in, as I go back and forth from into a thread, then clicking back to What's New at the top. Being signed in prevents the ads between the posts on any thread. There was a period a couple weeks ago that even after I'd sign in, and I saw my username at the top right of the page, once I clicked into a post - I'd get signed out. I only use this site from Chrome on a desktop - the mobile experience (even when viewing in Desktop mode) was always clunky for me.
    Thank you

For some reason site is not asking me if I really want to leave the page right now.

Cold Front coming in tomorrow. could push more fish South from Virginia, if there are any left up there.

Trout fishermen are Traitors unless they are polite and wait until January to start chucking Gulp, I heard that a lot of Trout fishermen are Girly Men.

DD will probably be on the end of Rodanthe sometime this week and perhaps Clyde. Clyde is smoking me this Fall...................he has four or five according to the RedHead. 87 years old or so and still chucking it out there with a heaver. I first met Clyde thirty years ago on the end of Rodanthe when it was real long and was 100 feet wide at the T. A Skate had eaten my Drum bait and then swam down into Clyde's gear tangling it up to the max. Clyde was cussing as he untangled us something about a damned Yankee tangling up his rig, I was standing right there, could not leave of course being a damned Yankee that was still tangled up in his rig. There is a Fenwick Surf Stick with a mint Abu Red 9000 hanging up over Clyde's mantel at his house on the Pier Road. At one time it belonged to me.......had to sell it to another friend one time when I needed funds because the Nags Head Police Department and I had some kind of miss understanding anyway my Friend sold it to Clyde.............I think Clyde has it just for the memories of an Damned Yankee from North of the Bonner Bridge who showed up and never left.......

I just finished rewrapping another SurfStick, if I epoxy before I leave I will bring it and put it on one more Drum if I can, hopefully with Clyde and Readhead and DD telling me what to do........
    Last edited by Garboman; 11-07-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Yep,Redhead told me you were coming down... Weather ain't looking good today,but sat and sunday are looking better..........

Yep,Redhead told me you were coming down... Weather ain't looking good today,but sat and sunday are looking better..........
    They were only biting within 100 Feet of a certain place, spotty bite, around 25 or 30 paper fish yesterday before the Front came in, perhaps more, most all of them beached before I got in line.

My trip was zero for zero, not counting 2 schoolie Stripers that I caught in my cast net at my secret spot.

Funny thing about a major cold front hitting November, it draws people together

The top DrumPro's were all out in that 200 foot cordoned off area yesterday. They all said hi to me and I was glad to see them. I was given the 2019 totals and it looks like a former MAN winner who is always near the top is out in front by 10 fish. At least these DrumPro's remembered my name and seemed happy to see me. I mean if you are part of a big crowd and say the only 10 guys you know happen to be the best casters in North America and they are all there getting soaked by a hard rain along with the newer fellas and fellas who want to be DrumPro's but cannot convince the Spouse that quitting gainful employment in exchange for a life of being able to put a bait out further then the rest and with regularity night after night.

Funny thing about Darkness, yesterday morning I started fishing a 3:30 AM 200 yards South of secret spot.

At 5:00 AM the bite started with Kyle showing the way. Kyle had 3 burned off and beached 4 and then left right when I gave up and joined the crowd. It is not easy fishing a crowd, and I avoided it too long just feeding Sea Mullets and safe from a Drum Bite a scant 200 yards down the beach. At the time I was not in a mood to spend predawn with strangers and tangled lines, in retrospect I took the easy way out, and like most things in life, the rewards come from the exact opposite. If it were easy why would the same 10 guys dominate every single year, it would be 10 different guys every year, luck of the draw, well luck has nothing to do with it. I could not see this happening because it is Dark and I am 200 yards away and no one including God was yelling hey Mike you better move North 200 Yards for the next cast. The Night before there had been no real bite, so I told myself, fish by yourself and not problems, no problems about being beset by Drum anyway.

Funny thing about these Fish last weekend. If you were not at the hole, you were out of business.

Ran into the Tater Man on my way out of Buxton, his Mom would be proud of him with his beautiful locks of Hatterasman hair

The real hole was at the end of Avon Pier but that was out of business, kind of like me this morning in my office

They were only biting within 100 Feet of a certain place, spotty bite, around 25 or 30 paper fish yesterday before the Front came in, perhaps more, most all of them beached before I got in line.

My trip was zero for zero, not counting 2 schoolie Stripers that I caught in my cast net at my secret spot.

Funny thing about a major cold front hitting November, it draws people together

The top DrumPro's were all out in that 200 foot cordoned off area yesterday. They all said hi to me and I was glad to see them. I was given the 2019 totals and it looks like a former MAN winner who is always near the top is out in front by 10 fish. At least these DrumPro's remembered my name and seemed happy to see me. I mean if you are part of a big crowd and say the only 10 guys you know happen to be the best casters in North America and they are all there getting soaked by a hard rain along with the newer fellas and fellas who want to be DrumPro's but cannot convince the Spouse that quitting gainful employment in exchange for a life of being able to put a bait out further then the rest and with regularity night after night.

Funny thing about Darkness, yesterday morning I started fishing a 3:30 AM 200 yards South of secret spot.

At 5:00 AM the bite started with Kyle showing the way. Kyle had 3 burned off and beached 4 and then left right when I gave up and joined the crowd. It is not easy fishing a crowd, and I avoided it too long just feeding Sea Mullets and safe from a Drum Bite a scant 200 yards down the beach. At the time I was not in a mood to spend predawn with strangers and tangled lines, in retrospect I took the easy way out, and like most things in life, the rewards come from the exact opposite. If it were easy why would the same 10 guys dominate every single year, it would be 10 different guys every year, luck of the draw, well luck has nothing to do with it. I could not see this happening because it is Dark and I am 200 yards away and no one including God was yelling hey Mike you better move North 200 Yards for the next cast. The Night before there had been no real bite, so I told myself, fish by yourself and not problems, no problems about being beset by Drum anyway.

Funny thing about these Fish last weekend. If you were not at the hole, you were out of business.

Ran into the Tater Man on my way out of Buxton, his Mom would be proud of him with his beautiful locks of Hatterasman hair

The real hole was at the end of Avon Pier but that was out of business, kind of like me this morning in my office
    Sorry I missed ya friend,but timing a bite at the point without five thousand of those "wanna be's" and throwing lefty,a bit out of the "zone" ain't my cup of tea... haha I live here and will time at least one bite,using Tater as my spy,that there are not quite as many stuffed into that one little spot... Sat and watched them the day before,what a cluster ####..

Probably catch you in spring,a few more days that aren't quite as covered up and point should change enough to spread things out a bit...

Tater seems to love his locks.. I remember when I could actually grow hair and it was red in color, I did the same as him and it was just as beautiful....

Hope your work and other things work themselves out for you Garbo..

Rodanthe pier closed till further notice..due to erosion and the nor'easter thats on the way.

Sorry I missed ya friend,but timing a bite at the point without five thousand of those "wanna be's" and throwing lefty,a bit out of the "zone" ain't my cup of tea... haha I live here and will time at least one bite,using Tater as my spy,that there are not quite as many stuffed into that one little spot... Sat and watched them the day before,what a cluster ####..

Probably catch you in spring,a few more days that aren't quite as covered up and point should change enough to spread things out a bit...

Tater seems to love his locks.. I remember when I could actually grow hair and it was red in color, I did the same as him and it was just as beautiful....

Hope your work and other things work themselves out for you Garbo..
    Communicated with the DrumPro who Tournament Officials believe is the #2 rated MAN contestant for 2019. There is a new Sheriff in Town and his name is Century Graphex Sport Tip Tornado I had the chance to hold this new Century stick this Spring at Ryan's, but was unable to fish it due to it at the time was the only one in America at the time and it was going to Raleigh for the tackle show that weekend instead of in my beach vehicle headed to the Point. It is thinner in profile and much lighter than the Excaliber 1200, and is rated for 225 grams instead of the typical 200 gram Century rod. It is 13' 10" and it is going to be my next Stick, unless of course I get a bargain on a few 1306 blanks. Or I may surrender and just fish my sticks I currently own.

Come to think of it I need two of these bad boys, may be difficult spacewise on a pier without a T, but one the beach should be something that will leave a mark on the average sticks, and it will sure leave a mark on the railing if you blast it at full speed

Out the door Graphex Sport built it is $$$ at Ryan's. But what is a few extra hundred dollars or so, if you can make bait bitches out of your competitors.

#1 DrumPro for 2019 broke 100 before the weekend's blow which has cut off participation from residents North of the Basnight Bridge. There could be what is a situation similar to when the barge took out Sections of the Bonner Bridge in 1990 and only the locals cleaned up on Drum.............I guess they deserve something for having their home cut off from the rest of the World.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast