Star Stellar or Falcon Coastal/BuCoo for inshore rod?

Thread: Star Stellar or Falcon Coastal/BuCoo for inshore rod?

Star Stellar or Falcon Coastal/BuCoo for inshore rod?

Good afternoon - Hoping someone on the forum has experience with one or all of these rods, and can share some feedback. Looking for a 6'6" Medium power spinning rod to throw soft plastics (3- 4 inch grubs and paddle tails) on lead heads...70-80% of the time I'll be using 1/4 oz. but occasionally will go as light as 1/8 or as heavy as 3/8. Targeted species will be specks, but usually run into a few rat reds and slot reds when fishing so the rod needs enough backbone to handle larger fish as well. Also, I fish structure and sometimes need to muscle the fish to keep them out of it. Lightweight, balance and sensitivity are all important. Looking to spend about $100. The one thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is whether it is best to go with a moderate, fast or extra-fast action for this application. Some folks say fast others say moderate. Would love to hear ya'll weigh in on the action debate.

I've narrowed it down to these three:
    Star Stellar Lite Fast Taper - $100
    Falcon Coastal - $90
    Falcon BuCoo SR - $100

Also, any thoughts on full cork grips vs. split grips?

Rod will be paired with a 3000 size reel...either Shimano Sahara or Diawa BG.

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I'd add Tsunami carbon shield 2 , and 13 fate black , I got the carbon shield paired with a 4 k Stradic for backbone
    But to be honest I don't see a big difference in lighter tackle , heck I got a berkly lighting rod paired with a 1k battle with 10 pound braid that will easily handle upper slot reds with zero problem,

I have one of the Stars. Not sure exactly which model, but you might want to try the reel on before you buy. I have a 2500 Battle on mine and wish it was a 2000.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I have the 7' Falcon BuCoo spinning with a 2500 reel. It has the split grip handle. Its agreat rod. I plan on getting a second. Good luck.

I've had great experiences with both rod company's. I reccomend a fast action in which ever your gut says you'll be happier with.

As far as the reels go.. the 2500 size bg is the same size as the 3000 size shimano. And for the money go with the BG. I got a 2500 size saltist (same as bg just with magsealed bearings) for a steal off ebay and it has all but replaced all my stradics. With just shy of 300yds of 10lb braid its dominated everything from spanish Mack's to 27inches, to small pond bass flipping senkos.