First time

Thread: First time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First time

I am going to surf fishing for the first time. Admittedly I have done some surf fishing in the Puget Sound 25 years ago, but broke the surf rod I found in a house my dad bought in my second trip out...i digress. I will be staying at Carolina Beach State Park the week of September 9th. My wife and I have been in NC for about 15 years, and go pier fishing as we can. We have discussed surf fishing over the years, and decided to take the plunge...Bought 2 used fiberglass surf rods and reels at a pawn shop, to get our feet wet, so to speak. We plan on fishing the whole week, but I have no idea where would be a good place to start. I will most likley hit areas in Kure, Carolina, and Wrightsville beaches, and spend some time at Johnny Mercers Pier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I would be willing to travel a little during the week if the fishing were appreciably better nearish by.

I ave in kure. Island hardware ask for Red. He will steer you in the right direction. Blackburn Brothers for bait

Lots of good fish come from I ave. Been going there for years. If you have a 4x4 ft fisher is awesome as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Fish hunt, thanks for the info. I do have 4x4, but was worried about weight being diesel. I may give it a try after letting air out of the tires first.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2311 View Post
    Fish hunt, thanks for the info. I do have 4x4, but was worried about weight being diesel. I may give it a try after letting air out of the tires first.
    There's lots of information on this site, if you do a search, on what features to look for. Also if you get on YouTube look up videos by Rich Troxler. I think his user name is RichTrox. Very very informative. The wealth of knowledge on here and his videos totally changed my rate of success in surf fishing. I went from catching 1 fish in 10 years to catching 10 fish in one trip.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2311 View Post
    plenty of diesel trucks on the beach. If it's a dually I wouldn't, they don't fair well from what I've seen. I would personally like to find a 7.3 excursion that hasn't had the suspension altered when I can swing a new toy.
    Last edited by Benji; 08-27-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks brob i will take a gander. I grew up salmon and steelhead fishing as my passion. This is a new frontier for me, and I can use all the guidance I can get

where did you do your steelhead fishing at?

Puget Sound, cowlitz river, Columbia river, chehalis river, toutle river, drano lake, hood canal, and many, many others
    If they were running, I was fishing, since I was old enough to hold a rod. It is really the thing I miss the most since moving to NC.