Pier and Surf Forum banner

Eating spot, croker, whiting

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Drake12321 
#1 ·
My wife and I always seem to catch plenty of spot, croker, and whiting but have never tried cooking and eating them.

How to you go about cleaning and cooking them? Any particular recipes?

#2 ·
Those are mainly fried in my experience. Whiting big enough to be filleted are fantastic but a bit soft. If they're not big enough to fillet I let them go or use them for bait in a pinch. We don't often get filletable sized croaker down here and I don't care for the madness of spot runs.

#5 ·
It's a lot easier to slip the skin off the fillets than it is to scale the fish. The crumbs stick better to the flesh, than to the skin, as well. Just my preference. When I was a kid, I would scale, behead, and gut the pan fish and then fry them up whole. I never minded dealing with the bones. Later in life, married and with two beautiful daughters, I learned that it's gross to have to use your hands to eat fish. I never knew that when I was young and single.:rolleyes:

G
#9 ·
Writing also make really good tacos. Filet, skin, house autry........on tortilla with Cole slaw, Paul Newman peach salsa, and sour cream with a tad bit of sirracha in it.

We classify our writing as bait, one taco, or two taco size. Two filets per taco, big writing give you four!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.