NC next year

Thread: NC next year

NC next year

So this year at topsail was ok. wasn't the best year for the surf I have had.

Next year my sister-in-law and wife were talking about the duck area cause a friend of ours has been going down there for the past few years and really likes it.

If we looked into the OB region for next year on the ocean what would be my best areas to surf fish when looking for a house? it's obviously a much larger area vs just going to topsail island.

What are some of your guys favorite areas on the surf? I'm open for any input.

Also would I be better served going down in june or july vs august. I know you guys mentioned august being the dogs days of summer for the surf in general. We would really like to stick with august if possible.

Thanks!
    jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Going north on 12 on check in and out weekends truly sucks , I read that it's gotten so bad that companies handling the rentals are considering checkout / check in on a weekday as a means to relieve traffic . We rented a house up that way twice won't do again . Traffic is a PITA going south during the week if you want to hit any of the sights . But we did have a epic mullet bite on one of the trips and some of the best fish tacos , I recall no beach fires don't know if it's still that way .

I've stayed up that way a couple times. It's a pain getting in and out. So much so that there's supposed to be a new bridge going in across the Currituck sound to help alleviate the time it takes to get to those northerly communities. I would go for something on Hatteras Island myself. As I'm sure you know it takes some time to learn the surf anywhere you go. I've had good luck from Avon all the way down to Ocracoke. Just have to know what to look for. For the most part I've had my best luck around the inlets and the sound, though. I have also caught plenty of Pomps in the surf in late August and early September. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

No Beach Fires. 30 minutes to get the last two miles into Duck.
    Nice Village.
    This year alot of minnows and sand fleas around. Small super fish to be caught.

Quote Originally Posted by surffshr View Post
    No Beach Fires. 30 minutes to get the last two miles into Duck.
    Nice Village.
    This year alot of minnows and sand fleas around. Small super fish to be caught.
    It is a nice village , The no beach fires really was a downer for my family after staying in Salvo and Avon ,

Thanks guys. Sounds like it is just a busy area to get around. Our plan was to say near duck so the girls can go shopping and out each night.

So driving around daily is just rough? Topsail is really easy to get around. No traffic really over the years we have been there.

I didn’t know about beach fires. Topsail doesn’t allow them. That would actually be awesome. We but fires every night when we were in Oregon on cannon beach one year.

Nags Head allows Fires but you have to get a permit. There is a ton of things to do there for the whole family.

Quote Originally Posted by surffshr View Post
    Nags Head allows Fires but you have to get a permit. There is a ton of things to do there for the whole family.
    Getting a permit is no big deal , Yes there is a ton of things to do , Fishing the Piers is great. Hint if you want to go out to eat go early or late you'll avoid the crowds.

My vote is Nags Head. We stay in south Nags Head and love it. Head north and you got all the shopping and restaurants you could want and several piers and places to surf fish. Head south for a more laid back time. Still have shopping and restaurants and plenty of fishing that way.

Personally I would never go down between June - August unless absolutely necessary. Crowds & traffic are terrible. You can still catch but nowhere like the fall. I go to OBX every october and love it. Minimal crowds. Only people on the beach are usually fellow fisherman. Housing is way cheaper. Weather is great. Fishing is amazing. Enough said.