Making bucktail jigs

Thread: Making bucktail jigs

Pauky Guest

Making bucktail jigs

Hey all,

I'm thinking about preparing for this fall striper season and making a couple of trips to Montauk. Part of my preparation is having a good supply of white bucktail jigs since I lost a lot on snags the last time I went.

I want to attempt making my own, but I need the supplies, parts, and pieces to start. The unpainted jigheads ( specifica"lly the cape cod canal" style or the big eye style) are hard to find. Does anyone know of an online supplier or B&T supplier in the MD/VA area that has 'em?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Are you thinking about pouring or just buying the Jigs?

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Here is a like to one of my favorite Mailorder houses.

Pauky Guest
    I don't have the facilities to pour, nor am I really inclined to be futzing around with dangerous, messy, hot liquid lead. I'm just interested in buying unpainted jigheads.
    Last edited by Pauky; 04-04-2005 at 09:26 AM.

Try Terminal Tackle

I bought some stuff from terminal tackle. I picked up some lead head jigs. I also got some of the stick on eyes and some jig paint from Bass pro.

Going to give it a shot in painting my own and sticking on these big a$$ eyes. Will see. They also sell the horse hair for bucktails, but I am not sure how to attach it, so that will be a later task. But I imagine that it cant be too hard to do.

Let me know how this works out for you. I have lost all to many bucktails at IRI so I feel the pain of loosing jigs, especially when they are the hot lure.

Jeff

Pauky Guest
    Jeff,

Is terminal tackle a place in the DC area or is it online? Can you provide a link, address, or phone number please?

Also, the hair you will tie on with thread and a little glue as fit. It's easy; it's like tying fly's if you've done that before.

I seen some of the paint in the Bass Pro catalog last night. I'll go there or to some crafts store. I'm glad that BP has them big eyes; that's what I been thinking about doing rather than painting them on.

THese jigs are pretty expensive at $3.50 a pop when they are lost regularly.

Pauky, here's the online site:www.terminaltackleco.com/
    Last edited by TRIGGERFISH; 04-06-2005 at 02:01 PM.

the tie the bucktail hair on, get yourself a fly tyers vice and some of the basic supplies... makes the job much easier with the right tools

Pauky, PM Jigmaker. He done some jig work for me. Nice stuff.

Catman.

Pauky, I sent you a pm.

Pauky Guest
    Triggerfish,

That link isn't working.

Jig,

I got your PM. I'll send you a couple pictures of what I'm talking about a little later today.

Sick on eyes

I orderd 2 sheets of stick on eyes from terminal tackle. I put these on my unpainted leadheads as well as some of the diamond jigs.

I picked up some lead heads that were 3 for a dollar. with the stickers an a piece of plastic, figure these cost about $.50 each, if that.

Sure beats loosing a $3 gotcha or a $2 storm.

Now I just have to see if they catch fish.

Pauky, try it now. TRIGGER

Bucktails

Tochterman's tackle in baltimore has every DoIt brand mold in stock and everything else you will need for this project. give them a call 410-327-6942 fax 410-522-4237 1-888-327-7744. or stop by 1925 eastern ave. balto.md 21231 this is the country's oldest family owned tackle shop 89 years now.