Pier and Surf Forum banner

Replacement beach cart tires

Question: 
27K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  Hop 
#1 ·
Good morning fellow anglers,

Question for the community? I have been looking at replacing the heavy foam filled tires on my offshore angler beach cart. I have been doing a lot of research on what the best tires would be to ensure a good fit. Has anyone replaced the tires on this type of cart or know which exact size I should get for a good fit? Tight lines, thanks!

#3 ·
The wheelez brand have a bearing or bushing in them and makes them easier to roll. I've had both them and the orange ones. Have been using a set of the orange ones for the past 6 years now. Since someone with hot hands walked off with my old cart . The orange wheels have worked fine but squeaky as hell. I joke that it's my alarm system. Bigger is better as far as size. You can get the complete kit with axle online for wheelez.

#4 ·
I bought a pair of Roleez grey tires years back for my Jr. cart, they are approx. 11.5'' tall, 6-8'' wide, I think
they were bought out or changed their name to Wheelez, they work well in the soft sand and are much tougher than I expected, don't over inflate them, I think it's 2-4 #of air, pricey though but have held up for over 15 yrs.

#6 ·
Lot's of complaints about the wheeleez wheels not holding air , great reports on the older wheeleez/Roleez wheels but not much feedback on wheels being manufactured over the last two years . The warranty policy that is offered does not inspire confidence , 90 days and then you're on your own.

The only size most recommend to buy are the ones that cost between $133.00 -137.00 per tire . Wheeleez offers a 19" size tire but those i believe are too big for the surf carts , they run like $167.00 per tire.

A pair cost more than a brand new surf cart.

#11 ·
Only the wheels manufactured over the last couple years have the complaints NOT the older ones.

If the wheeleez wheels make a night and day difference than spending the money is worth it because trying to pull a loaded cart through soft sand with the standard pier cart tires will end your life prematurely due to a massive heart attack .

#17 · (Edited)
OK found some info :

Started looking at wheeleez since everyone raves about them and of course got sticker shock. $150 for the smaller tires and $300 for the 16 inchers as an axle and tire kit. Started looking and I can buy a whole new cart for $268 that is a Fish-n-Mate and has poly wheels 16x7 and so are comparable to the $300 wheeleez.

My existing cart is a bit rough but still functional. So no problem with just replacing the wheels. Based on following the comments here it would seem I would want the higher priced 16 inch wheeleez. For slightly less I can get a new cart that meets my needs without all the jerry rigging I have done over the years.

So opinions please. Please vote on the following options:

1. New Fish-n-mate with 16x7 poly wheels at $268.

2. Smaller wheeleez at $158.

3. Larger wheeleez at $300

4. Just be cheap and keep buying a wheel barrow wheel once a year.

--
09 Mar 2016 07:56 AM

I would get the two larger wheeleez (kit) and see how you like them over the course of the summer. It's not cheap, but I was thrilled when I got mine put on. If you don't go through the softer sand much, then the smaller wheels will work fine too. I have had a few trips where I had to get through alot of softer sand and I think that the lower profile of the smaller wheels would have caused the bottom to drag in some areas. But you could always add some aluminum square bar and raise the profile a bit too.

Based on my experience with the original Fish'n Mate wheels, I wouldn't get the one with the Orange poly tires. The plastic on the inside seems to wear out over time.

There is nothing wrong with a cart that has been cut on and drilled into UP TO A POINT. As long as you haven't messed with the structural integrity you should be good to go.

09 Mar 2016 08:27 PM

The wheelez wheels are TEN times better than the orange poly wheels!

I've had them all. You can never go wrong with quality.

09 Mar 2016 08:47 PM

The expensive variety last ten years and more.

Decide based on whether you go fishing very often.

Avoid the slightly cheaper PVC tires, many are rejects. Saving ten bucks costs you a hundred. Stick with the top two dealers.

Some folks never need anything more than the rubber tires. Keep it out of the swash.

09 Mar 2016 09:46 PM

You definitely get what you pay for when buying wheels for a beach cart. I think I tried 4 or 5 differant kinds of steel and hard plastic wheels until I found out about Wheelez. They float over the soft sand and they have laasted for years.

Mike

--
10 Mar 2016 07:01 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. Bit the bullet and ordered the bigger wheelez. Now just have to hope they get here before the surf settles down.
--
10 Mar 2016 07:17 AM

You will not be disappointed.
10 Mar 2016 07:47 AM

I was the first person in this area to have roleez cart and wheels....Bought a set of big ones 14 years ago...still going....if ya take care of them
If ya drag 'em though the bushes and briars ...they WON'T

--
10 Mar 2016 08:45 AM

Ive got a set of the smaller Wheeleez wheels and I have never been disappointed with them. I often drag a 48 qt cooler with enough goodies for a family of four plus all of my gear. I will recommend though that each season you pull the wheels apart and wash and oil the bearings. If you happen to get it caught in the wash, do it immediately. If you maintain them and do what Bennie said...keep it outta the bushes...they will last forever...unless you fish as much as Noel....and KEEP THE REPAIR kit that comes with the wheels...they last so long, sometimes you can forget where you put the repair kit!

--
13 Mar 2016 01:08 PM

Let the air out before first use,install four oz. Slime tire sealant from wallmart,reinflate. Now good to go!
have not heard this idea .I have one tire that has a slow leak close to the valve that I have patched several times .this may work for my problem.

#20 ·
Anyone know the length of the axle you will need to fit the Wheeleez 16 " wheels on the "Fish n Mate" and "Reels on Wheels" senior carts ?

I found some info below :

Material List: (All items are stainless steel except for aluminum rod)

1ea. 1" x 44" aluminum axle cut to size. (Will be cut down to proper size)
2ea. 1/4" X 2.5" (leg length) u-bolts to fit 1" shaft
4ea. 1/4" flat washers
4ea. 1/4" nylon-insert locknuts
4ea. 1" flat washers
4ea. cotter pins
2ea. 42cm Wheeleez® wheels

http://www.beachcartsusa.com/fishing-mate-modify.htm

#23 ·
The grey wheeleez tires are worth the price. Mine are about 6 yrs old, no problems holding air and were an absolute game changer hauling my gear across the sand. Worth every penny ( and they are quite a few pennies btw). I bought the conversion kit from Rodrack.com. Easy-peasy.

#32 ·
OK , my Wheeleez order came in , my God man these wheels are huge , i got the 16.5 inch wheels , first thing i noticed is how ridiculously lightweight they're compared to the regular pier cart tires . The axle is like 3 times thicker than the older axle also , should work well .

I was looking at the hub on the 16.5 inch wheels and 19 " inch wheels and if you ever wanted to switch to the bigger tires i believe it will work , the 19" tire retails for $114.00 without the hub , $167.00 a piece with the hub.

My cart would look beyond ridiculous with the 19" wheels , it looks crazy big with the 16.5 inch wheels .

Haven't tested it yet but looking forward to see if the hype is real .

#33 ·
I just wanted to put this out there so someone else doesn't make the same mistake as me..

I ordered a Fish-N-Mate Sr without the tires/axle and then bought Wheeleez 16.5 inch tires and the axle kit (BCK-42). Don't buy the kit with the 36" axle or else your tires will rub the frame. You need to buy the kit with the 40" axle, BCK-42XL, the 40" axle.

FYI...

#35 ·
Well it turns out what i feared turned out to be true . I bought a low pressure gauge and measured the PSI in both tires, ( Never used yet) they showed a 1.5 PSI reading . I inflated using a hand pump to 2.5 PSI last night and upon checking this morning only one Wheeleez holds that 2.5 air pressure the other one does not and goes right back down to 1.5 PSI .

#36 ·
This was a post from late 2018 on another forum :

Wheeleez had great wheels, tires carts. Current their Valves are no good. Replaced several they all leak. Lucky if they hold 2lbs. Purchase several new tires and valves. Not worth the hassle. Even bought their pump and low pressure gauge. What a bunch of crap. Talk about no quality control on a product. My next wheels are coming with a tube so I can patch or replace them. They used to make great stuff.

#37 ·
Wheeleez had great wheels, tires carts. Current their Valves are no good. Replaced several they all leak. Lucky if they hold 2lbs. Purchase several new tires and valves. Not worth the hassle. Even bought their pump and low pressure gauge. What a bunch of crap. Talk about no quality control on a product. My next wheels are coming with a tube so I can patch or replace them. They used to make great stuff.

After reading this, I'm glad i bought 2 extra sets of tires about 10 years ago. Still on my first set......12 years old now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.