Question: Bbnwr surf temperatures!
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Bbnwr surf temperatures!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    VA BEACH,VA
    Posts
    270

    Bbnwr surf temperatures!

    According to the Army Engineer Pier at Duck,current surf water temperature id a frosty 57 degrees. No wonder there are no BBNWR reports! Another Arctic ,fishless weekend coming up I guess!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    NORFOLK VIRGINIA
    Posts
    454
    WOW! That is hard to believe with the surface temp being so hot for so long. Thanks for the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK ADDER View Post
    According to the Army Engineer Pier at Duck,current surf water temperature id a frosty 57 degrees. No wonder there are no BBNWR reports! Another Arctic ,fishless weekend coming up I guess!

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    NORFOLK VIRGINIA
    Posts
    454
    Duck Sea Temperature

    (Today) 9th Aug 2019

    26.2°C / 79.1°F

    https://www.seatemperature.org/north...tates/duck.htm

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    VA BEACH,VA
    Posts
    270
    Nick, GOOGLE "Duck Army Pier"...onthe home page inthe right corner is a data inset with the water temp on the pier recorded...interesting that this morning's temp is 59 versus your info : a full 20 degs warmer. This upwelling of cold water, caused by predominately south west wind is a local phenomenon. Thanks for your response.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    NORFOLK VIRGINIA
    Posts
    454
    Yeah, I read their plot and it does in fact show the dip in temperature, I love science, thanks for the education and the new site
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK ADDER View Post
    Nick, GOOGLE "Duck Army Pier"...onthe home page inthe right corner is a data inset with the water temp on the pier recorded...interesting that this morning's temp is 59 versus your info : a full 20 degs warmer. This upwelling of cold water, caused by predominately south west wind is a local phenomenon. Thanks for your response.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    VA BEACH,VA
    Posts
    270
    Another resource is Jennette's Pier. Their water is 57 right now.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Knotts Island NC
    Posts
    728
    That usually means the water is dirty as well. The Duck pier has always been one of the first things I look at when I am thinking of going to BB. Thier temperature sensor goes down a lot though.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,087
    East winds this weekend should improve things.
    Well, %@#&^*!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    NORFOLK VIRGINIA
    Posts
    454
    Good-to-go, Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK ADDER View Post
    Another resource is Jennette's Pier. Their water is 57 right now.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    richmond
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bubba View Post
    East winds this weekend should improve things.
    Probably so. but it's going to take a few more days of that to get things moving.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    VA BEACH,VA
    Posts
    270
    Not to depress our readers, but temperature this morning at Duck is 59*.And 90%rain with wind Saturday... yikes!

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Knotts Island NC
    Posts
    728
    For what it's worth I have noticed that no matter the wind direction once you get a week or so into September the water always seems to be clear and warm. I don't know why but I have been down there mid September with a West wind and the water was almost tropical and crystal clear.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    884
    straight west wind water usually clear but cold, was in a boat yest went trolling south water was 66 deg we headed north of rudee water in 70's, went back south after high tide water in 70's up to lip

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    VA BEACH,VA
    Posts
    270
    Did you catch,Geo?

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK ADDER View Post
    Did you catch,Geo?
    scatterd blues and barely legal spanish had to work for em!

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    VA BEACH,VA
    Posts
    270
    Good old BBNWR showed her bad side today:water looked real drummy but that was just to taunt me. I could not hold with 10oz storm sinkers or grip leads (sputnicks)...and me with 5 dozen just caught mullets!!! Ended up at Lynnhaven with 5 pups...oh ,well!

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK ADDER View Post
    Good old BBNWR showed her bad side today:water looked real drummy but that was just to taunt me. I could not hold with 10oz storm sinkers or grip leads (sputnicks)...and me with 5 dozen just caught mullets!!! Ended up at Lynnhaven with 5 pups...oh ,well!
    Any size to the pups? I caught two today back by pleasure house, both were around 14in. At least they were bigger than the ones I got a week or so ago (around 10in). I was thinking of trying BBNWR tomorrow morning with mullet I caught today, but my heaviest rod only throws 6oz.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    VA BEACH,VA
    Posts
    270
    I out to have packed my old style heavers.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    va beach
    Posts
    884
    once the weather settles down and the wind continues from the ne we might start catching drum early, everything else been early might as well drum too i wont complain

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •