Question: IRI USCG station

Thread: IRI USCG station

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

IRI USCG station

Around 2011 the Coast Guard station at IRI was reshaped. Here's a historical photo of the project in progress

Name:  IRI_USCGconstruction.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  102.7 KB

The corner of the quad area was sort of chamfered off. Out of curiosity, I looked around the web trying to find out why this was done, but found nothing. Do you remember why? If you look at the depth measurements taken in 1999 you can see an 80' deep hole right next to the station which is even deeper (90') in 2004:

Name:  IRI_USCGdepth.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  134.6 KB

Were they worried that scouring might undermine the bulkhead?

In that first picture on the top left corner you can see a beach. I use to do real well fishing from that beach for flounder using small live spot for bait. Is that beach still there? and can you still fish there from shore?

Yep, you can still fish it. But it's not a beach anymore. It's all riprap now. Didn't they use to call it Bubblegum Beach?

I found some documents from the Army Core of Engineers detailing the history of the inlet and it's fascinating reading. Haven't gotten to anything about the USCG station yet though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

OH Crap, that leaves me out. I can't do riprap fishing anymore. Got to be flat ground for me now days.