Appreciate what you have

Thread: Appreciate what you have

Appreciate what you have

Yesterday I got a big life lesson. I was fired for something I could not foresee or prevent. The morning before I backed a tractor up to a pump truck and coupled them. I looked underneath at the fifth wheel and could see the jaws locked around the king pin. I verified that the pin on the front of the fifth wheel was set as well. We attached all lines and I proceeded to do two tug tests on the trailer where you set the trailer brakes and release the tractor brakes. You put the tractor in reverse and push once again. Then, you pull the tractor forward and tug against the king pin to be sure the jaws were locked. I did all of this. Everything correctly. I pulled away and heard a bang. The tractor lurched forward out from underneath the trailer and it fell to the ground. This is no ordinary trailer. A frac pumper can weigh over 80k without the tractor.

There were 4 witnesses to the incident. They could vouch for what happened and one even checked that the jaws were locked before I looked. They all provided written statements. The next afternoon, i found myself in an office being told that the fifth wheel was mechanically sound and that although there were witnesses that everything was done right and all procedures were followed, I was being terminated by direction from the head office... The manager did not want to fire me. He gave me assurance that he believed me and that he had no issues with my work. It was out of his hands. just like that, a $100k/yr job was gone. I did everything right, I did what was required and a freak accident occurred. It didn't matter that I had moved up faster than most and was ready to become a supervisor. It didn't matter that I had only missed one day on the field in my two years where a typical work week is 110 to 120 hours and that I never had any complaints or disciplinary actions against me. My hard work meant nothing. Never take what you have for granted because it can be gone in an instant before you even realize what happened. I went from excellent employee that was recognized for hard work to terminated in less than 36 hours from one unpreventable accident. Save your money, as I'm glad I have, and appreciate your friends and coworkers. I'm now looking to start again somewhere else and everything will be great but I'm going to miss my dearest friends that I made there. I know I'll be fine but life sure can suck the rug out from under your feet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Sorry too hear that , I've driven for a living before and have done that same hookup drill I can't tell you how meany time and have seen just what happened to you before and I always wondered when and if it would happen to me . Good truck drivers are always in demand you'll find something and it maybe even better than what you had . Good luck and keep your head up.

Quote Originally Posted by brob757 View Post
    Yesterday I got a big life lesson. I was fired for something I could not foresee or prevent. The morning before I backed a tractor up to a pump truck and coupled them. I looked underneath at the fifth wheel and could see the jaws locked around the king pin. I verified that the pin on the front of the fifth wheel was set as well. We attached all lines and I proceeded to do two tug tests on the trailer where you set the trailer brakes and release the tractor brakes. You put the tractor in reverse and push once again. Then, you pull the tractor forward and tug against the king pin to be sure the jaws were locked. I did all of this. Everything correctly. I pulled away and heard a bang. The tractor lurched forward out from underneath the trailer and it fell to the ground. This is no ordinary trailer. A frac pumper can weigh over 80k without the tractor.

There were 4 witnesses to the incident. They could vouch for what happened and one even checked that the jaws were locked before I looked. They all provided written statements. The next afternoon, i found myself in an office being told that the fifth wheel was mechanically sound and that although there were witnesses that everything was done right and all procedures were followed, I was being terminated by direction from the head office... The manager did not want to fire me. He gave me assurance that he believed me and that he had no issues with my work. It was out of his hands. just like that, a $100k/yr job was gone. I did everything right, I did what was required and a freak accident occurred. It didn't matter that I had moved up faster than most and was ready to become a supervisor. It didn't matter that I had only missed one day on the field in my two years where a typical work week is 110 to 120 hours and that I never had any complaints or disciplinary actions against me. My hard work meant nothing. Never take what you have for granted because it can be gone in an instant before you even realize what happened. I went from excellent employee that was recognized for hard work to terminated in less than 36 hours from one unpreventable accident. Save your money, as I'm glad I have, and appreciate your friends and coworkers. I'm now looking to start again somewhere else and everything will be great but I'm going to miss my dearest friends that I made there. I know I'll be fine but life sure can suck the rug out from under your feet.
    My unsolicited advice;

Get a letter of recommendation from your previous supervisor, to present to your new prospective employers. Get permission to provide your supervisors phone number on job application, to preclude some HR negative response from head office.

Keep in touch with your friend.

Every time in my life when I thought I had suffered a setback I actually was being moved to a better more advantageous place.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

That sounds like a company you don't want to work for. I'm the DOT Coordinator for an oil and gas company in WV. Any time we have an accident we will do an investigation. If it is found that everything was done by the book, we will us that as a learning experience for the rest of the employee's. I believe you are around SWPA. There's a lot of oil and gas going on in the area. You should be able to get on with someone fairly quickly.

Thanks for the good words fellas. I didn't realize how quickly things can materialize but I currently have 4 requests for interviews. One is within the fracking industry. A friend of mine at my old company said recruiters have approached him on Linkedin and asked for info on good fracking equipment operators. He gave them my name and I put in an application and resume. Got a call this morning and set up the interview. Things are looking up for sure.