Problems Spooling A Penn Senator 4/0

Thread: Problems Spooling A Penn Senator 4/0

Problems Spooling A Penn Senator 4/0

I am brand spanking new to these large reels and will be trying my hand fishing for sharks or whatever will hit cut bait in the Port Aransas, Tx surf come Monday. I have it paired with a 10' extra heavy Ugly Stik. I decided to go with just straight 30# mono to fill the spool.
    I picked up some Berkely Big Game 30# mono and began spooling it on just like I do with my small Ambassadors. As I was cranking it on I noticed that the sides of the spool built up taller than the middle of the spool. Guess this is due to my piss poor use of my thumb and finger as a level wind. Is it ok that the spool of line is high on the sides and lower in the middle of the spool?
    I think I read somewhere that the Senator 4/0 should be able to put on 375 yards or so of 30# mono. The spool I bought comes with 440 yards on it and I had a lot leftover. So, did I screw it up? Spool of line not even across the spool (higher on the sides than the middle) and I think I didn't wrap it on tight enough to have so much leftover?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Interesting set up you have there. Your line will level out with use. If it's too loose on the spool you will know after the first large fish. Are you yaking out baits?

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Interesting set up you have there. Your line will level out with use. If it's too loose on the spool you will know after the first large fish. Are you yaking out baits?
    I have a kayak, if I can figure out how to lash it down to my popup camper then I will take it with me; but it looks like I won't be taking it and instead trying my best to cast the rod.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy718 View Post
    I have a kayak, if I can figure out how to lash it down to my popup camper then I will take it with me; but it looks like I won't be taking it and instead trying my best to cast the rod.
    Static mag it and it will cast better. have magged several 4/0 and 2 Daiwa 600H's (A 6/0 with an aluminum frame)
    RR

Hopefully your 4/0 has an aluminum spool.

I have never fished for shark and do not have any idea of typical rigs used in your area.

Roy's Bait and Tackle is about 30 miles from your fishing destination. Rocky (the owners son) does fish for shark and should be competent in reviewing your fishing equipment.

Your line does seem to me to be a little on the light side and that will make it more difficult to cast your reel. The typical line sizes for a 4/0 in my area are 50, 60, and 80# line. The norm is 60#.

Don

Update: I respooled with new 30# mono and kept better tension on it while spooling. This made all the difference and now I have a nice even spool of line. Took the whole setup to my local lake and stood on the bank and casted 10 times with a 5 oz pyramid sinker with not one backlash. My last five casts were beyond 50 yards pushing close to 70. Love, love this rod/reel combo. I am leaving for Port Aransas right now as I am typing this. Tight Lines!

Strip line and respool. Even across. And apply enough pressure that line will not "dig" in when tight drag. Run up on sides is asking for trouble, Good luck - glenn

I've never run anything larger than 30# on my 4/0s pinrigging for kings,actually preferred 25# for a tad more capacity. They would cast just fine when transferred to a good 10-12' surf rod.