Tire Deflator
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Deflator

Tire Deflator

How do you guys deflate your tires? I heard people use defaltors... any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Get one of these, then get an old stem from a tire (usually can pick up an old one for free at a tire shop) use some loc-tite on the threads so you never lose it and bingo, you have a tire deflater. Just unscrew the valve to the right pressure then screw it back in.

Kill Devil Hills - On North Carolina's Outer Banks
    My house key has never failed me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

use the backside of a tire gauge. It has a tire deflator on it and u can turn it around to make sure u are at the right psi.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieboy View Post
    use the backside of a tire gauge. It has a tire deflator on it and u can turn it around to make sure u are at the right psi.
    I do the same thing, but a buddy with commercial tires (80 psi) uses the deflators they sell in some shops. Will have to admit it gets a little hard on the old back when bending over to deflate the tire for long periods- it takes awhile for him to get down to 20psi - in his case I think the cost is justified

Yea. I hear ya surf cat. Im only dropping about 20psi per tire so it doesnt take to long. BTW you can pick up a tire gauge for free at any local auto place and i am pretty sure napa gives them away for free or they might be like $2. Deff an inexpensive way to airdown.

a friend of mine took a couple of binder clips, drilled small holes em them and threaded small screws in. cheap and easy

I have the screw on kind

I use the ones that you can set to a certain psi, like 10 psi. All you do is screw it on, it makes an annoying whistle sound, but stops automatically when the desire pressure is reached. They are like $10-15 in area tackle shops. I find its easier to screw it on, set it and forget it.

I was worried about using a valve stem unscrewer thing as I did not want to let out too much air, but they work much faster than what I got.

I have a tire gauge that has a bleeder valve that i also use. this has a about a 8" hose (between the stem and the gauge) lets you bleed out air after airing back up (if you over inflate).

Quote Originally Posted by Singletjeff View Post
    Get one of these, then get an old stem from a tire (usually can pick up an old one for free at a tire shop) use some loc-tite on the threads so you never lose it and bingo, you have a tire deflater. Just unscrew the valve to the right pressure then screw it back in.

Yep, one of those.
    Get a pack of spare valve cores in case you loose one.
    Just take the core all the way out, count the number of seconds to get to the right preasure and then reinstal the core. Very fast! Repete on the other tires.
    It also makes a good show. Everyone is looking and betting on weather you get the core back in before the tire goes flat!

Here's another question. If my car is at 32psi on the street and lower to 20psi on the sand, that's about 62% inflated. Then why would a car with 80psi deflates down to 20psi?

Well I have D load range tires and run mine at around 65 PSI and deflate down to 25 on the sand.
    The heavier load range tires such as D & E have a much stiffer side wall and just letting out to say 35 will not let the side walls out enough to make a big enough foot print in the sand unless your carring a camper in the bed and the extra weight will help flaten out the side walls.

I got a set of 4 screw on deflaters came with a key chain and all screw back to back after use 11.95 fatboys. Screw them on and since it is slower than pulling the stem once the first one is on and you get around to the last one the first is ready to be checked. Saves my BACK! Cheap and easy.

Compare them

Here is everything you need to know about them...
    http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi...flatormain.htm

man, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Big Worm. I heard good things about Oasis deflator.

You got it man. Got it in my Favs.

BTW SOL had a real good thread about them, alot guys had all kinds of them and they were stacking them up against eachother, pros, cons and some of them have been using them for years. Worth a read.

Oasis deflators. Well worth the money.

I'll second or third about the Oasis deflators are just right. Put them on when you get to where you are buying bait & when you get back to your truck all 4 tires are deflated and ready for sand. Just take them off, put your caps back on & off ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieboy View Post
    like this kind

I have always liked the Staun deflators. They are not to loud and they COMPLETELY shut off when they hit the set pressure. They go for around $60 for a set of four. If you would like to see my report on these check out my link.
    http://www.bluedogfishing.com/Reviews/staun2.htm

Ron

checked out the link. thanks... its between oasis or staun.

I have been using the Tire Buddy deflator for close to 6 years. It saves my back! One on each side sure does speed things up

Just get a Hummer H1 Alpha.

I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.I had an ARB, and somehow misplaced it.
    I've since had 2 sets of the Trailhead deflators https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-deflators/ , and am now back to the old trusty ARB.
    The Trailheads refuse to deflate if your starting pressure is below 28psi, then they do not fully shut off, rather they just bleed air at a slower rate once down to pressure. You end up monitoring them anyways, and to be honest, the ARB is nearly as quick... it however works every time.
    I can be wheeling at 1200' elevation one trip and 6000'+ the following trip, so, the automatic deflators do not appeal to me... if you have to watch them anyways, and finish up manually, why not just go the simple and trusted system.
    I have found that when you have to monitor the automatic systems, then double check with a guage, and possibly finish the job manually, that the ARB ends up being faster. And, since I had lost confidence in the system, I was always double checking in the end.
    Yes, I have to kneel at each wheel for a couple minutes, but, all of my wheeling partners are doing the same (they too have given up on the automatic systems, well, some have never bought into the automatic systems, and saved money while the rest of us went down that road), or they are unloading from a trailer... now that takes some time..I like to watch YouTube videos of a similar subject when I'm looking for information about the right product. I hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck!

I’ve had good success with “Tire Buddy” deflators. I bought four to speed things up. I ran different pressures front to back so I stamped them with their setting once they were set.

yeah the tire deflators are the bomb, once you set them it is all good, screw them on and walk away and do something else and come back and they are done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast