Cast netting from shore/piers

Thread: Cast netting from shore/piers

\r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n SaltyLocal\r\n \r\n
\r\n SaltyLocal is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n

\r\n Cast netting from shore/piers\r\n

\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n I’ve asked several local bait shops in and around the Tampa Bay/Clearwater area and have gotten so many mixed suggestions. Some say 8\'-10’ 1/4” mesh net with at least 1.3lb lead, while others say 8’-10’ 3/8" net with at least one pound of lead.
\r\n
\r\nI fish the Gulf shores when surf fishing and at other times piers and bridges; usually, and more often than not,I’m tossing bought shrimp (which gets expensive) under bridges or into inlet passes. I’m hoping to catch white bait/scaled sardines/pilchards, pinfish and finger mullet, while avoiding glass minnows when possible. Water depth is usually less than 10’; normally and within throwing distance, I’d say mainly 2’-6’ water column. I plan to buy another smaller or larger backup net later but for the time being, financially, I’m looking for net to start with. My plan is to buy a 1/4” or 3/8” now, then buy a smaller or larger net down the road.
\r\n
\r\nCan anyone please provide your thoughts between a 1/4” or 3/8” cast net from shore/bridges? I\'d greatly appreciate it.\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n'; pd[1222027] = '\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #2\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n PierRat4Life\r\n \r\n
    \r\n PierRat4Life is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n Many piers don\'t allow cast nets. Check the rules.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote Reply With Quote \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; pd[1223303] = '\r\n
  • \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n #3\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n eaglesfanguy\r\n \r\n
    \r\n eaglesfanguy is offline\r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n Registered User\r\n \r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n
    \r\n \r\n
    \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n I use an 8 ft 3/8 mesh with 1 lb per foot at the skyway and everywhere else. If there is small whitebait around they are a pain,they get stuck and ultimately killed trying to remove them. So i keep a cooler for dead bait to use as chum, and the live ones in the well.
    \r\n I never let "well try" not to let it sink to the bottom unless i know i am over just sand and grass.If the bait is on top and im in deeper water then 10 ft, i toss let sink for a 1,2,3 count and snatch shut.. usually load up on just a couple tosses.
    \r\n If you are deeper and the bait is there and current isn\'t screaming.. try to chum em up i use jack mackerell mixed with oatmeal or cornmeal and some fish oil.. and when they come up pancake there azz\'s.
    \r\n Just my opinion and how i get bait..\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
  • \r\n'; // next/previous post info pn[1220653] = "1223303,1222027"; pn[0] = ",1220653"; pn[1222027] = "1220653,1223303"; pn[1223303] = "1222027,1220653"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[53511] = "SaltyLocal"; pu[12263] = "eaglesfanguy"; // -->

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cast netting from shore/piers

I’ve asked several local bait shops in and around the Tampa Bay/Clearwater area and have gotten so many mixed suggestions. Some say 8'-10’ 1/4” mesh net with at least 1.3lb lead, while others say 8’-10’ 3/8" net with at least one pound of lead.

I fish the Gulf shores when surf fishing and at other times piers and bridges; usually, and more often than not,I’m tossing bought shrimp (which gets expensive) under bridges or into inlet passes. I’m hoping to catch white bait/scaled sardines/pilchards, pinfish and finger mullet, while avoiding glass minnows when possible. Water depth is usually less than 10’; normally and within throwing distance, I’d say mainly 2’-6’ water column. I plan to buy another smaller or larger backup net later but for the time being, financially, I’m looking for net to start with. My plan is to buy a 1/4” or 3/8” now, then buy a smaller or larger net down the road.

Can anyone please provide your thoughts between a 1/4” or 3/8” cast net from shore/bridges? I'd greatly appreciate it.