flounder fishing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flounder fishing

flounder fishing

My old friend told me NC was voting in August to possibly suspend all commercial and recreational flounder fishing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

It's already shut down effective Aug 1, 2019 unless something changes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBig2na View Post
    What is the reason?

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Overfishing .. Comms and Recs combined ... don't look for it to be back for at least two years. If it does come back the Rec limit will be cut again.

It's not written in stone yet but it might as well be....

Overfishing .. Comms and Recs combined ... don't look for it to be back for at least two years. If it does come back the Rec limit will be cut again.

It's not written in stone yet but it might as well be....
    Thank you.

• Aug. 21-23 – Marine Fisheries Commission meeting
    − Commission receive department and legislative comments
    − Commission vote on final approval of Amendment 2
    • If Amendment 2 approved, management measures implemented
    by Fisheries Director’s proclamation authority following August
    commission meeting

Kraus got it. No formal decision announced yet. NC DMF site has lots of material on decision process. Speculation is rec season will close by proclamation after August meeting. a two month season next year ??? No change in min size and still four fish limit ----- DO not take this to the bank! Just my BS.

Quote Originally Posted by poppop1 View Post
    What is the reason?
    NC has kicked the flounder management can down the road for years and years. Instead of getting ahead of the problem and being proactive we decided to wait until it got bad enough it had to be shut down. Typical NC management though, not surprising it got to this point.

Too many people abuse commercial flounder fishing. Everyone with a skiff gets a license and fishes/gigs hard for them. I know quite a few rich real estate guys that even do it... stricter fish rec limits and taking licenses from weekeND warrior commercial wannabes would do wonders for our inshore fishery

Quote Originally Posted by Eltonjohn View Post
    Too many people abuse commercial flounder fishing. Everyone with a skiff gets a license and fishes/gigs hard for them. I know quite a few rich real estate guys that even do it... stricter fish rec limits and taking licenses from weekeND warrior commercial wannabes would do wonders for our inshore fishery
    Same here.......and they brag about it. Gig one to small....oh well. Didn't get caught...

They need to shut it down for all for 5 years.........because half will continue to fish as normal until they get caught if they ever do...

NCDMF can make all the regulations they way, but with no one to constantly enforce the regulations it makes it hard for them to work they way they are designed. Basically it will only affect the law abiding citizens, sad but true. You think there's not a lot of regular law enforcement officers, there's even less Wildlife Officers...

In N.C. the deer population is insane but of course you can't spotlight deer in immoral. Flounder is over fished but you can go out and gig the hell out of them every night if you want.look at the guides websites there going out and wearing them out.You can't kill a blinded deer but you can stab a flounder all night long Don't make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevfishin View Post
    NCDMF can make all the regulations they way, but with no one to constantly enforce the regulations it makes it hard for them to work they way they are designed. Basically it will only affect the law abiding citizens, sad but true. You think there's not a lot of regular law enforcement officers, there's even less Wildlife Officers...

Yup , you rarely ever see a wildlife officer, gigging should be outright banned because they stick everything and it's taken a major toll on the flounder population.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltonjohn View Post

Agree 100% , the flounder fishing is atrocious and needs major help , banning gigging would be a start .

Quote Originally Posted by spotsndots View Post
    In N.C. the deer population is insane but of course you can't spotlight deer in immoral. Flounder is over fished but you can go out and gig the hell out of them every night if you want.look at the guides websites there going out and wearing them out.You can't kill a blinded deer but you can stab a flounder all night long Don't make no sense.
    I’ve read some really dumb crap on this site but this is almost the dumbest

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadF350 View Post
    I’ve read some really dumb crap on this site but this is almost the dumbest
    Yeah buddy.......when a natural resource is in peril you stop the stupid things like gigging because its just common sense. You make a mistake, the fish is dead.

I hope its outlawed and never comes back plus about 2/3rds of the commercial license taken where people cannot prove its a way of making a living.

Well said Retired, Give us your answer to it F150.

My point was that jacklighting deer is dumb and unsafe and anyone promoting it has the intelligence level of a turnip

I apologize if my wording meant spotlighting was ok ,never have never will.l love flounder fishing, gigging flounder just seems to easy but it is what it is N.C.

Two words, inshore trwaling!

Quote Originally Posted by spotsndots View Post
    gigging flounder just seems to easy .
    You wrote "seems too easy". Does that mean you never been gigging? I've wade gigged several times. I've stuck three. Very easy to tell if you're looking at a good fish 18" or better. If true that males rarely reach the minimum length of 15", then it seems to me we're allowed to keep mostly females. Not a marine biologists. Fake news?

No i have never giged, I was leaning more toward boat gigging. See 2&3 man limits coming nightly on guided trips.

Flounder gig'n is a blast, did it a lot as a kid living near Camp Lejeune and you're right that won't wipe out the species.

Another large culprit is "large" mesh gill nets in inland waters. They catch everything and most don't live to be set free especially the crabs that get smashed with mallets rather than trying to free them from the net.

Quote Originally Posted by jay b View Post
    Flounder gig'n is a blast, did it a lot as a kid living near Camp Lejeune and you're right that won't wipe out the species.

Another large culprit is "large" mesh gill nets in inland waters. They catch everything and most don't live to be set free especially the crabs that get smashed with mallets rather than trying to free them from the net.
    I've been gigging in Courthouse Bay numerous times....

I've been gigging in Courthouse Bay numerous times....
    I haven't been in about 10 years but I have in the past. When I see what has happened to the fishing on our coast for sportsmen in general its just sad. We are to the point that changes have to be made and getting at each other will accomplish little. Our state government has been irresponsible in so many ways. Its time to clean the whole mess up and some people are going to get hurt financially. But its got to be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast