Pier and Surf Forum banner

The Cows Have Come Home-not Locals

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  scorpioreno 
#1 ·
ASK GREEN CART! HE TOOK PICS OF A FEW 32 INCH OR BETTER. I hooked and filmed in a disposable camera(not yet processed) total 13 of which; 8 were 32-38 inch.this is my ressurection for easter. the weather was strange,but it is on now. again i say;ask green cart when he posts his pics and reports. I even took a pic of his smaller fish with him in background. I have 7 frames left in the roll. :)
for those are lucky enough tuesday or wednesday-go see for yourself. the "POINT" :D :D :D :D :D

#3 ·
Catman, this time of year they're ALL pre-spawn. I have no idea why this is the case, but every striper you catch from shore up through April is loaded with either eggs or milt. The best theory I have is that they're smelling their way back to their ancestral grounds where they were spawned and so stay close to shore to smell out their home rivers. Sort of like salmon.

After they do their business, they swim back out of the bay in the channel. It's very rare to catch a cow that's not carrying eggs.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply Sand Flea. The reason I was asking is because I don't fish C&R for fear of stressing a pre-spawned female. I was sort of hoping the his fish were post spawned in which case I slip over to SPSP and give it a try. It's been my understanding that the rock migrated up the eastern shore in deeper water and returned down the western shore following the old Susky river bed. When the report said they were caught at SPSP I just assumed they were either post spawned or resident fish. Maybe I'll figure this rock thing out someday.

Slipsinker.

#6 ·
Verification

I knew Bayfisher was going to ask me to confirm his report. Here goes :D

I fished 6:30 am to 6:30 pm. BF fished 8 to 3 so the possible problem of BF catching fish before I arrived or after I left did not exist. However, I jotted down as many as possible the time he caught fish and my eyeball size estimate.

First of all, I only caught one 32 inch. His picture of my smaller fish turned out to be my biggest fish - 32 inch. He took only a few pictures, and I did not see him using the tape. My records showed that he caught 11 fish - 7 in the 18" range, 1 at 24", and 3 in the 36" range. I got to observe closely one of the 36" which turned out to be approximately 38", but I did not confirm it with my tape measure as I was too busy catching my own fish, measuring them, taking pictures, and releasing them. :D BF said that he caught 13 fish so I missed 2. :eek:

In summary, BF did catch many rockfish, but he needs to keep more accurate records. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.