New to Surf fishing

Thread: New to Surf fishing

New to Surf fishing

I am new to Surf fishing. For the past few years my family have been taking a week long vacation at Clearwater Beach. I have spent a lot of time fishing in the surf day and night while there. If there is water, I want to be fishing in it. My equipment is very substandard, a 20$ Walmart Catfish combo. Surprisingly, I feel I have had success, several small sharks, and several really nice Snook. For this Summer's trip, I am planning a slight equipment upgrade, because of several line breaks. I am on a budget and can't see a big expenditure on a once a year trip, although I do enjoy it greatly. I am considering purchasing a Penn Pursuit 6000 combo. It seems to rank high in value, and I really don't want something big and cumbersome. I just want a shot at landing a big one with my limited gear. I am thinking I can get about 200yd of 20lb mono on my setup. I have thought about braid with it's much higher compacity, but have almost no experience with it and do not want to complicate my excursion. Any recommendations as far as setup and what brand of line to use would be greatly appreciated, as I am just a simple old river fisherman from Ohio.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Well I'm just a simple old farmer from Pennsylvania, so keep that it mind. We all have gone through a learning process for surf fishing and there are many, many opinions. I too only get to fish the surf a week or two a year but decided years ago to buy some decent equipment and I am still using it today. I also decided to use braided line and love it, it would not complicate your excursion although lots of people use 14-17# mono and usually the Suffix brand is mentioned. Check out some of the mid and higher priced surf rods, you will be amazed how light these new blanks have become. You can catch the big one on a Walmart special but I just decided years ago that for once in my life I was going to surf fish with some decent equipment since most everything here on the farm is duct taped or binder twined together, priorities right? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdog1992 View Post
    I am new to Surf fishing. For the past few years my family have been taking a week long vacation at Clearwater Beach. I have spent a lot of time fishing in the surf day and night while there. If there is water, I want to be fishing in it. My equipment is very substandard, a 20$ Walmart Catfish combo. Surprisingly, I feel I have had success, several small sharks, and several really nice Snook. For this Summer's trip, I am planning a slight equipment upgrade, because of several line breaks. I am on a budget and can't see a big expenditure on a once a year trip, although I do enjoy it greatly. I am considering purchasing a Penn Pursuit 6000 combo. It seems to rank high in value, and I really don't want something big and cumbersome. I just want a shot at landing a big one with my limited gear. I am thinking I can get about 200yd of 20lb mono on my setup. I have thought about braid with it's much higher compacity, but have almost no experience with it and do not want to complicate my excursion. Any recommendations as far as setup and what brand of line to use would be greatly appreciated, as I am just a simple old river fisherman from Ohio.
    20lb mono will do you fine. That is a basic reel but will get the job done. You should try looking into a used Penn Battle if you can find a good deal. It has a much better drag system and is made for saltwater use.

A 20lb main line will work, but you want to make sure you have a 50lb shock leader. If you messing with sharks you will need that so they don't break you off. You need to attach your 50lb leader to a heavy duty set up. I run 200lb mono to a 8/0 circle hook. But only about 6" of 200lb mono.

I would try and get a 12' rod if you are going from the surf. A Penn Prevail 12' surf rod is a good entry level rod. You can find those used as well.

PM me if you have more questions. I can help you out.