Movin' On Up Like George and Weezie - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movin' On Up Like George and Weezie

What size lift do you have on the truck?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mdsurffishing View Post
    What size lift do you have on the truck?

It's a 4" Pro Comp suspension left with 35" x 12.5" tires and 20" wheels. I didn't want to go tall when I did it because of pulling my boat, horse trailer, and various other pulling duties. It's about perfect with the camper. I have Lift Master air bags on the rear and run them at 90-psi with the camper on. I also put in 4.88 gears when I did the lift and replaced the factory limited slip differential with a Detroit Locker (it had 3.73's from the factory).

Last edited by Cold_Beer839; 11-18-2018 at 09:35 AM.

your truck really sits well with the camper on it. very nice outfit.

Updated the rear lights to LED. Was kinda worried driving home at night in the rain the other week that I would get rear-ended because the old incandescent bulb type bulbs weren't very bright. This iphone pic makes them look much brighter than they actually are (like the brakes are on), but they are much brighter than they were before.

Put a nice tide clock in the camper.

Nice! I have a shell on my Ram 1500, but now have a Ram 2500. My newer truck has an 8' bed. Your pictures have me convinced now!

Nice to see your progress with your rig. Best regards in the future, and thanx for sharing.

Thanks guys. I'm telling you, it changes everything about camp surf fishing. If it gets windy, rainy, and cold, just step inside and relax.

Last edited by Cold_Beer839; 12-26-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Going on my 15th year since getting my 4x4 motorhome, and as Coldbeer just said, ain't nothing like bad weather to make the investment soooo worth it! Nice rig and hope to see you on the Point or Ocracoke this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by VA-Apraisr View Post
    Going on my 15th year since getting my 4x4 motorhome, and as Coldbeer just said, ain't nothing like bad weather to make the investment soooo worth it! Nice rig and hope to see you on the Point or Ocracoke this spring.
    You ever try Portsmouth? I'm telling you, it's better. The point is way too crowded and Ocracoke is only a little less crowded. Portsmouth is just a little harder to get on and off (small private ferry and the channel sometimes is not passable due to weather), but I have always caught more and bigger fish there.

Fours years on Portsmouth, however, the $300 ferry fee and distance is too much for me. Plus, I'm good with 3-4 days of fishing and we'd spend a week down there. Bad weather trapped us on the island twice, so, I'm happy having Hwy 12 to just escape back home at a moments notice (unless it floods of course). Usually I'm south Ocracoke watching my other buddy's fishing the north end of Portsmouth

Do you stay at Beachcomber or the NPS campground when your at Ocracoke. We are heading down in late May for the week and wanted to check out some of the campgrounds while there

I've never stayed at any of the campgrounds down in the OBX......usually night fish and stay all day/night where I'm fishing, or I pull off near Ramp 59 on Ocracoke and use the small parking lot about 1 mile south of the ferry.

Do you like to camp in the wild? If you want to know more about how climate change affects tribes, read here: https://tribalclimatecamp.org/ My brother also approves of it.

Ahhhh what?

Quote Originally Posted by moverandshaker View Post
    do you like to camp in the wild? If you want to know more about how climate change affects tribes, read here: https://tribalclimatecamp.org/ my brother also approves of it.
    lol.

I've never stayed at any of the campgrounds down in the OBX......usually night fish and stay all day/night where I'm fishing, or I pull off near Ramp 59 on Ocracoke and use the small parking lot about 1 mile south of the ferry.
    I thought they close the OSV at 9pm from May 1st to mid november, I've always walked on at night

Fours years on Portsmouth, however, the $300 ferry fee and distance is too much for me. Plus, I'm good with 3-4 days of fishing and we'd spend a week down there. Bad weather trapped us on the island twice, so, I'm happy having Hwy 12 to just escape back home at a moments notice (unless it floods of course). Usually I'm south Ocracoke watching my other buddy's fishing the north end of Portsmouth
    Those are the big drawbacks right there: the ferry is expensive and the weather can close down the ferry. But the isolation makes it attractive to me and I've caught more and bigger fish there (just a personal experience, not saying that's the case for everyone). Plus after going for over 20 years you start to see and get to know the same ol' group of fisherman.

h

Quote Originally Posted by dena View Post
    h
    Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel please.

Another successful trip out to Portsmouth. Fishing was slow but met an old friend out there and pasted the time drinking a few beers and watching big sharks and rays pull our rigs out onto the continental shelf. Camper did great again, frig was a little slow to start working, but it finally did fine. Deep cell batteries and big solar panels continue to be a great upgrade and power was never an issue, even with my two younger boys playing the PS4/TV a lot.

Guys thinking about getting a truck camper need to pull that trigger, this is still the one big investment that has made my surf fishing experiences so much better. Weather was supposed to get real nasty the next two days after we got off the island, high wind and rain, felt bad watching folks get off the ferry that were intending to tent camp.

Last edited by Cold_Beer839; 04-19-2019 at 08:08 PM.

👍👍👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Beer839 View Post
    Air down to whatever PSI it takes to get you thru. I set my PSI at 25 and had zero issues.
    I go down to 15...I like my truck alot ...and transmission. lol !

Quote Originally Posted by Pomatomus salta View Post
    I go down to 15...I like my truck alot ...and transmission. lol !
    It really depends on the beach conditions, truck weight, and type/size of tire. One PSI setting isn't universal. I'd be afraid to go down as far as 15 with a truck as heavy as mine due to the possibility of rolling a tire off the bead.
    Last edited by Cold_Beer839; 05-20-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12