Land Based Shark fishing rod question

Thread: Land Based Shark fishing rod question

Land Based Shark fishing rod question

So I have been getting into big shark fishing more and more from the beach. I feel like I have maxed out my current setups for drops and shark size. I want to get a "real" setup. Looking to get into the big boys of 8' plus

Looking for a rod to match an Avet EXW50 or EXW80 (depending on how deep I want to jump). Do I need an 130-unlimited rod or will an 80-130 be ok?

What length should I look at? This will (obviously) be a yaked out bait so no casting.

Rollers vs std guides?

Brands that are worth their salt but wont break the bank?

Should I go custom or wait til I get to the OBX again to get rod? Last time I was out there I saw a bunch of rods but was not ready to drop the cash at that time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

turbo guides, shorter the rod the less leverage the fish has, I run a 100 pound batson custom on both my 900H and my 12/0, schools of thought on rod length/weight, you can run a rod the fish can bend and pull against, or a rod that doesn't bend as much but is harder to hold on a hard run. the rod that bends more puts more drag pressure on the fish with then the broomstick that puts the drag on you, adjust the rod weight to your line weight and drag of your reel.
    js

I've never fished set-ups this big, but from what I've read so far in the past.....the roller guides are not ideal for fishing off the beach. Salt and sand seem to foul them up. Maybe more experienced folks will chime in on that part.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

When big fish is involved ,more money and time is invested to, which normally means your take better care of your gear regardless where you use it.

I bet more salt and sand get on my reels from boat rides then the beach.unless your gear in a cabin it's getting wet,splashed etc.regardless where it's used its still getting a good bath ,dry,oil and tested before next trip..