Pier and Surf Forum banner

Mb state park pier.

70K views 188 replies 21 participants last post by  piscesman 
#1 ·
I have fished it a few times in the last few weeks with no luck at all. Anyone know if the water is still dirty there? I stayed about 5 hours each time I went. Bait I used was mud minnows, finger mullet, and live shrimp. I was watching and on one was doing much of anything .

#2 ·
My least favorite Grand Strand pier. I've been there 3 times this year and have had no luck.

They also seem pretty uptight. There's an old lady in the shop who can be a pain in the ass. I went with the GF one time and accidentally brought 5 rods. She examined everything we brought and made me put one back in the car. Also, hide your beer or you're toast.

#8 ·
Never had an issue with the ranges. I pay my 5 bucks and go fishing. That's not to say I won't have an issue. Hope I don't! I do know some people that have had issues, as far as the fishermen go, they are a great group of folks. Always willing to help each other and people that have never pier fished before.

I'am ready for some good old spot fishing...

#14 ·
Fished from 8 am to 1 pm today, before the rain. I used shrimp, live finger mullet, fishbites, and hooked into a 2 foot shark, cut the line and let him go. I hate sharks! The MBSP has let me down this year. For that fact, most of the Grand Stand has let me down. I have read some of the reports on the SCDNR page and think the reports are BS. Most of the reports come from folks that sale bait and charters. I would be happy to give SCDNR a true Pier and Surf report. I think I'll contact then. I could get some input from all the other natives and give a report that is not so bias.

#15 ·
Congrats on developing a healthy sense of skepticism, Shark Fighter. I've long been of the opinion that pier and bait shop reports are suspect at best, and that developing a strong community of sportsmen who are willing to contribute reports is the best way to find out what's happening. That's why I report on virtually every trip I make when I'm home at the beach. Unfortunately, when I talk to fishermen I meet about coming to this board and getting active, a lot of them admit that they aren't interested in helping other fishermen find the good spots that they know about. I'll admit that I don't reveal absolutely everything about my trips, but I definitely share a LOT of info in order to encourage other guys and help them have success too.

#16 ·
Yes, ChefRobb your reports are great keep them coming. I have some hot spots I won't give up. I have some great numbers but, even those areas are not doing that well this year. Oh well, good luck to all that fish this week.

ChefRobb, hope you hook a big fat shark...LOL... good luck to you too!

#23 ·
Did the Myrtle Beach State Park ( MBSP ) today. Lots of small whiting on fishbites, two poor man's tarpon ( LadyFish) about 20 in long on finger mullet. Only took one pic of the ladyfish. I don't eat ladyfish so, back they went. They make great cut bait for redfish. Lots of Ribbon fish off the end of the pier.

Attachments

#25 ·
Did the MBSP this Wednesday, used live finger mullet and fishbites. Got one Ladyfish 20 in" long, one small Bluefish 10 in" long, and a few small Whiting 7 - 10 in" long. One fisherman got a very large Ray. Bring your net the finger mullet run is in full swing. Watch out for the rookies throwing nets, had one boy throw right on top of my lines two times. The first time I said nothing, the 2nd time I put him in his place, but good. He stayed away from me after that. Don't know why people have to be like that, even if they are rookies.

#26 · (Edited)
Spent the day on the MBSP pier, just a few very small Whiting and Pompano on fishbites and a fireball rig. Lots of Sharks in the area. Other fisherman said they have fished most of the piers in the area and have not done much better. Water looks a lot better than it has in the last few months. Lots of people on the pier, things should get better after Sept 4th. Might try Murrells Inlet in my small skiff Monday, report will follow if I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.