Pier Report: Mb state park pier. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mb state park pier.

How are you fishing those jigs? What do they weigh?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I put them on a bottom rig with a tiny bit of fishbites and a 1oz sinker if the surf is light and more weight if the surf is rougher. I never weighed them, maybe 1/32 oz. What ever a 1.5" piece of 550 cord, 2-0 circle hook, some small plastic beads and a very small zip tie weigh. I just don't like just putting any bait on a bare hook. I do seem to hook more fish this way, and it adds a bit of color.

GOOD LUCK TO Y'ALL AND KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ROWDY ROD; 08-26-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Neat looking rig. Thanks for sharing the details.

Lady fish, Blue fish, and red fish incoming tide. Cut finger mullet, lots of them in the surf, just bring a throw net. Lost count on the number of blue fish I hooked. Most of the red fish are about 13", but still a great sign of things to come.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL, AND KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET......

Cool. Keep the reports coming.

Is that Daiwa J braid on your reels ? If so, how are you liking it ? Abrasion resistance ? Wind knots,etc. ?

No, I'am old school, have never met anyone that could explain why braid is any better than mono. I'am sure there are some reasons. I change out the mono once a year . I get it from Wally world it is cheap and has never failed me even on large bull reds. I use circle hooks so, I don't worry about stretch on hook sets. I use 20 lb as main line and a 30 lb as my leader more lbs if I feel the need.

Just a heads up to everyone Wally world is selling Penn fierce II reels for 30 bucks about half off, I think they are the 3000 or 3500. Good for salt and freshwater fisin...

Good luck to Y'all and keep those hooks wet...Take a kid!!!!

DC, but I fish from SC to MD. Primarily saltwater, but I'm originally a freshwater fisherman from PA (Erie, Pymatuming, Raystown and all the rivers).
    Braid/mono...both have their good and bad points. For me, the diameter difference is worth it (braid) on my smaller reels I use for casting distance. It (braid) also cast lighter weights further, while still allowing to use a heavier test line. Mono works better over reefs/sharp rocks. It's normally cheaper. Knots are easier to take apart....

....but that's just my humble opinion. BTW, nice fish and rigs

Red fish in the surf, lost count at around 15, all about 13 to 14". To small to keep but, still a lot of fun. Today fishbites was the key. Most folks were fishing with finger mullets and where hooking Lady fish. Surf was very rough and wind in the 15 mph range out of the south. Fished two hours before high tide and two hours after high tide...

Good luck folks and ....... Keep those hooks wet...

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

Reason I asked, turns out, is that Diawa J braid is the same smoke blue color as your Stren High Impact.....which I believe is StrenBerkley's XT........

Rod, any word if the State Park pier will be opening this fall? Thanks.

abass105, Yes, the pier should be open the last week of September or second week of October, if we don't get anymore storms. All they have left to do is replace all the chairs. The chairs are already made just have to mount them.

flathead, sometimes I use the Berkley Trilene Big Game good stuff... I looked up the J braid, see what you mean about the color. Have you used it in the past?

Good luck folks and take a kid fishing......

Thanks Rod. Maybe I will run into on pier or surf. Thanks for your reports.

Cut mullet was the way to go today, after hooking up with about 13 juveniles under 15" a keeper. Finally, 22" long first keeper for me all year. Still fun to hook up with all the juveniles but, almost a nuisance. Park rangers pulled dead shark off the beach this morn.

Good luck folks...Keep those hooks wet..

Nice Red. Thanks for the report.

ROWDY ROD. nope have not used it but it is selling well here in a local shop.........understand it has excellent abrasion resistance....I used Berkley Fireline for several years before switching to Power Pro............use the 8# dia/ 30# test on my BG15s, about 40 yards of BBG 15# backing with 150 yards of PP top, moss green..........where I fish the water is usually slightly dingy so I don't have to use a fluoro leader,just my fluoro rigs.

Reds and Blues , Blues and Reds, all juveniles. Cut finger mullet. Hard to keep 4 oz lead on the bottom today. Surf is very rough, has been for the last few days. Water is a bit cloudy, some spots had three sets of breakers, ocean was hard to read, for me anyways.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET...

Great days at the beach, Monday and Tuesday. Incoming tide, cut mullet. About 12 small reds less than 15" and one 26"er. No keepers! Surf was smooth and a light wind. Left my flounder pole at the house, by mistake...

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET......
    Last edited by ROWDY ROD; 09-24-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks for the report. Great pictures.

Whiting on sand fleas, lost count after 10 or so, Two Black Drum on fishbites less than 14 in. One very small spot. 18.5 in Trout on live finger mullet, let it go. Wind was light ocean was smooth. No one around me, just the way I like it!!!

GOOD LUCK FOLKS AND KEEP THOSE HOOKS WET...
    Last edited by ROWDY ROD; 10-17-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Looks good Coming down next week Cant wait Hope the bite is on

Nice report. Glad you are on the fish.

Tried to target some Spot fish in the surf, not a one. To many whiting to count and some small Pompanos on Fishbites bag O' worms. One 19 in Weakfish on live finger mullet. Had a shrimp boat run off the end on the pier all day long, must have been a good spot.

Good luck to all you folks, and keep those hooks wet...

20 Mph winds today maybe more, very heavy surf. Had a hard time keeping 6 oz on the bottom, found some mullet up the creek no sand fleas. Got broke off twice by Sharks. Other than that a few small Whiting. Spoke with the foremen in charge of the pier repair he said "it may be done by mid November" his words not mine...

Good luck to all, keep those hooks wet...
    Last edited by ROWDY ROD; 10-24-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast