My Latest Addition To My Surf Fishing Equipment - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Latest Addition To My Surf Fishing Equipment

I have the exact same options added to mine as the ones that won first, second and third in that off road race across Russia. This is the vehicle that beats Range Rover yet most people don't know it as being that off road capable plus it's a race car on the track, too.

Yesterday, a kid at the local fishing pond said for me to go fast. I said you go fast and let him drive it. He's probably still talking about that.

Ronald

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Ummmmm? Pics?

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

On the first page of this, we have pictures in a magazine article, manufacturer specifications, YouTube videos and my photograph which identifies both which version I have and even the license plate.

But, sure, I'll gladly accommodate your request. What would you like a picture to feature?

This coming weekend I'll likely have it fishing at a Utah State Park with beautiful scenery.

The brevity of the last two posts leave me at a loss to understand what is begin commented upon or what is being asked. Perhaps it's because I'm not part of the texting culture that communicates with similar brevity, so I need a little more information.

Ronald

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald H Levine View Post
    On the first page of this, we have pictures in a magazine article, manufacturer specifications, YouTube videos and my photograph which identifies both which version I have and even the license plate.

But, sure, I'll gladly accommodate your request. What would you like a picture to feature?

This coming weekend I'll likely have it fishing at a Utah State Park with beautiful scenery.

The brevity of the last two posts leave me at a loss to understand what is begin commented upon or what is being asked. Perhaps it's because I'm not part of the texting culture that communicates with similar brevity, so I need a little more information.

Ronald
    Just a little advice, don't pickup strange kids in your vehicle, you'll get put on a list.

Name:  IMG_20170715_163127.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  187.8 KBName:  IMG_20170715_162638.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  136.5 KBName:  IMG_20170715_120941.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  98.0 KBName:  IMG_20170716_002649.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  96.6 KB
    I had some fishing fun Saturday. Our local fishing group took a large group of disabled veterans fishing for them to have fun and to show them we appreciate them. Mostly it was trolling for Kokanee Salmon at depth in a reservoir. I hosted a smaller group that preferred shore fishing. The picture is a disabled veteran having a great time. I like variety in fishing and want to learn many styles. Yesterday, I caught those fish on ultralight spinning gear using three pound test Nano line which isn't clear yet largely ignored by fish perhaps because it's so thin. That was mostly new for me. Surf fishing will be new for me. It was a pleasure driving to fishing locations and I can see my new vehicle will also be a pleasure to drive to a coast once I figure out where and when I should go. I'm looking forward to it.

Our vets don't get enough credit, well done sir.

I've had a few adventures with this vehicle already that is oddly much more capable of off road challenges than it's appearance would suggest. I recently named it after the viral YouTube video: "Honey Badger Don't Care" because it has earned that reputation.

I went standup paddle boarding with a recreational group of mostly women. I recently bought a Utah State Parks annual pass, so I filled up my car with girls to save them the mountain road driving and the $9 entry fee. I inadvertently passed up my exit and pulled over onto the shoulder past it where we saw the exit road climbing to our right with a very steep embankment that is not meant for any car to climb nor would I suspect any would even try. I announced "Honey Badger Don't Care," turned and went straight up the steep incline. For a couple seconds all we could see out of the windshield was the sky and then we were on our desired exit road. Our conversation resumed without mention of that odd climb perhaps because of my mannerism that it was nothing special for the Honey Badger.

The tires are quite wide, so that will help for beach sand.

I'm getting new wheels with winter tires for ice fishing this coming season and I'm looking forward to my first surf fishing vacation once I figure out what season and what coast or hire a guide who can hopefully coach me into achieving surf casting proficiency.

If any of our group wants to invite me to surf fish with them then, please let me know with plenty of advance notice for me to arrange with my work to be able to take some vacation time.

Ronald
    Last edited by Ronald H Levine; 08-11-2017 at 04:57 PM.

My Latest Addition To My Surf Fishing Equipment this time are sand tires that I bought on a Black Friday sale. I bought snow tires and the sale was so good that I chose to order my sand tires while the sale was still going. I just tried them for two days and they have excellent traction on dry pavement. Their huge footprints will compact the sand without it flowing out from under them for optimum loose beach sand traction. I bought extra wheels for all the different tires for quick changes for the various conditions. My sand tires are not for wet traction and the opposite of what is needed for snow, so I just switched wheels to use my new snow tires tomorrow because we will have some light snow tonight. Then we'll have some sunny Utah days, so I'll put those away for harsher winter off road conditions for my ice fishing. With the addition of sand tires and their own set of wheels, now I'm more prepared for my first surf fishing vacation. I hope to find a guide (perhaps among this fine group?) to teach me and also coach me to distance casting proficiency and make some knowledge and experience based choices on what time of year and which coast to target a good choice of fish on beaches we can drive. That guide will likely be my best investment in surf fishing.

I also found a better video that might give some insight into if this vehicle will be good in beach sand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_EwADV0NRU

Skip to 1 minute 50 seconds into the video to see it's sand driving capabilities and that's with street tires.

Ronald
    Last edited by Ronald H Levine; 12-05-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBig2na View Post
    Pal, I told you in a previous post, " You are way overthinking it"
    You probably didn't catch in all your studies of reading P&S where just recently I pulled someone about 100 yards back the hard pack of the ramp. The couple and thier Pretty Volvo C70 never got more than a hundred or so yards from it. Just because it's "all-wheel drive" doesn't mean that it's suited for the beach.

Would a set of Dolce and Gabbana Chest waders be I near your future as well? Or will you choose the Gucci waders instead? I think you will be the model of the latest " fasion statement " on the beach TODAY.. It will be a perfect combination paired with your titanium laser guided sand spikes that you've engineered. I'd love to be there when you race a Pompano down the beach with your high perfomance beach vehicle.
    I did the same to a pompous ass NY'er in his Outback...lol. I passed him at the beginning of my day and pulled him out at the end. He told me in the morning that the Outback was more capable than my full size Ram. What an awesome laugh to end an awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymon View Post
    Hope it comes with a rust warranty
    Merry Christmas, all! I gave some thought to Jollymon's point of subjecting a fine car to sea salt of the beach and finally have an answer. Though I'm fine with doing it anyway and I did find out the car has excellent undercoating and rust mitigation, I know it will still get some rust. Besides, scratches certainly haven't inhibited my off-road use. No point in having those capabilities without using them and I do. But, in searching for some extra wheels for my sand tires, I bought myself a Christmas present. It seems wheels are expensive for it, but I got a good deal on some used wheels that not only saved me money, but were attached to a used Porsche Cayenne and the one with the big engine. That way, I'll keep the rust off of my nicer one by using this one for surf fishing vacations. Besides, it doesn't need the full twin turbo power for the 25 MPH speed limits on beaches, but it does have the off-road traction packages. As for the rust considerations, the price of new wheels were $5500 and the price for this used 2004 car with used wheels was only $5000 and it only needed new front suspension parts. It should be an ideal choice for the beach and for all the criticism on wealth, this car is much less expensive than the vehicles used by most on this forum. I'll make a rod holder for it to go into it's trailer hitch.

Not a good choice for the beach. Get a 4 x 4 pickup, A Jeep. But if you can afford that, then you have a lot of money to get towed off the beach when you get stuck and you will. just pray there are good People with truck that have a real 4 X 4 system to tow you out. OOps I see you already bought it. Good luck you will need it. If you ever make to A.I. or theDelaware beaches, I'm in a black jeep. I'll pull you out.

Ronald: (I may have missed it) have you had it in the soft sand? a friend of mine has been looking at one for years. 98% of his driving is on road but does surf fish. he was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by spydermn View Post
    Ronald: (I may have missed it) have you had it in the soft sand? a friend of mine has been looking at one for years. 98% of his driving is on road but does surf fish. he was wondering.
    Spydermn, My post on 12/4/17 has a link of exactly the same year and model as mine preforming well in wind blown sand dunes. But, no, I haven't had it in sand yet. It's ice fishing season here and it performs amazingly well on ice.

Ronald

Oops! I experienced a total loss of traction. The best tires made no difference! I knew this, but was so far away from thinking it because this much power is new to me. I was stopped and looking at a steep uphill curve fifty feet in front of me. I gave it full acceleration and attempted to make a very necessary turn at the top of the hill. There is zero traction when airborne! Fortunately, the wheels touched the ground just in time and then it was able to make a very forceful turn. I wasn't thinking I could be in the air in just fifty feet!

Ronald

WOW, now this car flies. Next it will be a submersible!

Quote Originally Posted by mdsurffishing View Post
    WOW, now this car flies. Next it will be a submersible!
    das Boot Auto or would it be U Boot Auto

Not quite submersible, but in one of the earlier videos posted, it fords through water at two feet depth. The doors are triple sealed and not a drop gets in.

Yep, it does fly! What a deal! But, unlike regular aircraft, there's no provision for steering once airborne. It was a turn I was previously taking fast from the other direction many times with a turn at the bottom of an incline, so that was a compression and you could feel the G forces and it takes the turn forcefully and well. The other way is dangerous going fast, so I won't combine a rise with a necessary turn anymore. It launches it into the air!

Ronald

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymon View Post
    das Boot Auto or would it be U Boot Auto
    Nice, it's the U-1206

Next step in preparation for my first surf fishing vacation is to find a surf fishing guide who can help me select the coast, the season, the location, the targeted species and coach me to be proficient at surf casting. Recommendations are invited.

Ronald

Quote Originally Posted by mdsurffishing View Post
    Nice, it's the U-1206
    Both were German Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald H Levine View Post
    Next step in preparation for my first surf fishing vacation is to find a surf fishing guide who can help me select the coast, the season, the location, the targeted species and coach me to be proficient at surf casting. Recommendations are invited.

Ronald
    I know a guy but he ain't gonna be cheap! I'm not sure if he'd want to be seen in a Porsche Cayenne with big sand tires....
    Probaly looking at 200.00 a day plus all expenses... Casting lessons will be extra

Thanks, DaBig2na!

[email protected]

Ronald

Quote Originally Posted by DaBig2na View Post
    I know a guy but he ain't gonna be cheap! I'm not sure if he'd want to be seen in a Porsche Cayenne with big sand tires....
    Probaly looking at 200.00 a day plus all expenses... Casting lessons will be extra
    I am thinking about getting a Cayenne Turbo, likely a 2004-2008 model, they seem to in the $9000-$17,000 range. Certainly not a newer $$$ model. Need to do more research to find out what components typically wear out and when. Seems like if you take it to a Porsche Dealership for major repair, the costs are significant.

Mostly will use it going from 0-50 MPH in between stoplights on the bypass road and for doing 25 MPH on the Beach Road and hauling a few 2 piece heavers to the Point, during times of the year when Monster Trucks are not digging 2 foot ruts everywhere they can spin their tires.

Long time ago before it was necessary for beach drivers to have F350's with 600 HP Turbocharged Diesel Engine and 9 inch lifts with 38" tires, some folks on the OBX used 2 wheel drive cars to get around on the beach. Pretty sure these cars had full-time locked differentials in the rear, as this was before Posi-Traction hit the streets.

Would like to keep the Cayenne in Stealth mode as in no roof rack and no cooler rack, something that has all the appearance of a Tourist who just discovered the OBX and bought a beach driving pass on a whim. Looks kind of like a Honda Pilot but with 500 HP which one needs at times Likely it will be no difference on the beach from my Grand Cherokee.

If the rear differential is locked, and you are aired down low, it should be okay....as long as you do not try dicey spots like the Narrows on a Holiday Weekend.
    Last edited by Garboman; 01-20-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Ronald,

Don't take this the abuse in a bad way. Just because you don't have a 78 Ford F150 4x4 that you can throw a cat threw the holes rusted in the box does not mean you don't have a vehicle that will go through the sand.
    I remember back in the old days. I was on the south point at Ocracoke 1984 with my little 1980 Chevy Luv 4x4 and I thought I ruled the sand.

Then I heard this weird engine sound and it was a Renault Le Car two wheel drive front wheel drive car with 4 long haired NC beach monkeys in it. I was a Marine stationed at Cherry Point and back in the early 80s it was either you had short hair or you were not in the military.

They drove on by like they had done this a hundred times.

The big thing is weight on the beach. Air your tires down and you have a bigger foot print and that means less weight per square inch. That Chevy Luv only weighed 1800 lbs with a screaming 1800 cc engine with 85 hp.

Make it so all 4 wheels have power going to them and you have a beach buggy.

You live a crap long way from the beach and feeding the tank on even a diesel 4x4 is 10-15 mpg. High cost 60K + and high weight Need even bigger tires.

You may have a cheaper ride that does better in sand.

Enjoy fishing and if you do get stuck prepare for lots of on lookers and keep a sense of humor. Everybody gets stuck sometime.

DAN
    Last edited by DANtheJDMan; 01-20-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast