Dauphin island help

Thread: Dauphin island help

Dauphin island help

Hello all

I am head to dauphin island in late July the last full week. We are going to be tring surf fishing for the first time since I was 12 and lived in destin.

Anyone one have any good rig recommindation for that time of year. I will be on the far north end of the island.

Going to be looking for some blue crabs to got a dock right by the house we rented so going to drop some traps off of it. Any other advice would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I went to Dauphin Island last year in October and TORE IT up. I would have to imagine the fishing would be good in July. If you want to fish from the surf go to the "west end" beach. I was using a (2) 12' Mojo Surf with a Daiwa Saltist B30 - 20lb test main line and 50lb shock leader. I was using 8/0 circle hooks and throwing pieces of cut bait. We had a house on the bay side and caught live bait at night off of our dock. If you can get fresh mullet for bait that seemed to work best.

I threw one rod long and one rod short. I caught multiple drum off the beach and load of saltwater catfish. I actually got spooled by something, I am assuming it was a large sting ray. It almost pulled my rod out of the rod holder and with the drag slammed down I couldn't stop it.

I also took a small charter boat to Grand Bay and caught massive drum and jacks. Let me know if you want the captains information, he was really good.

Name:  Drum2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  80.1 KB