Pier and Surf Forum banner

Anyone do any good?

24K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  david-e 
#1 ·
Anyone do well deer hunting? I got skunked ( literally and figuratively ) twice... Was in a field between some round bales and suprise...skunk home. Luckily I heard some rustling around on the opposite side of the hay and peeked over, so I saw him first. Few days later totaly different area in woods, I walked up on one, and it saw me first. I put on my best moves with a head fake to the left while I dodged right. He took a Squirt at me and missed. Although I smelled skunk the rest of the day, I'm not sure if it was in my head or if he did nail me a little.

On top of that my trucks tranny capped out so I was out of comission for about 5 days mid season.

And the weather here was crazy. Swinging from 50s to below 0, bright sun, pouring rain, sleet, and incredibly no snow.

I'll have to put some effort into late season hunting after Christmas to try and get some in the freezer.

#31 ·
Sunday 1/21/18 got a 168# 8 pt.
Monday 1/22/18 a big ol' sow pig
Tuesday 1/23/18 a 196# 8pt. (The ninth buck I saw that day)
Just watched deer the next two days
Friday 1/26/18 a 188# 7 pt.

I had a great little hunting trip, came home 8 days early cause my coolers were full. (Hunt club in Alabama)

#33 ·
This little 7 pointer Thanksgiving morning, he's small but I didn't think I'd get to hunt much more this year.
View attachment 59097

Already eaten tenderloins & some backstrap & the rest is in the freezer, he's little but tasty.

I'm going to try to shoot a coyote this year, we're lousy with them in this part of NC but they seem pretty tough to call. Most of the ones I hear about shot around her were "targets of opportunity" shot from a deer stand while deer hunting. I've seen one fox so far & coyote tracks but haven't gotten a shot yet.

#34 ·
Has been a horrible outdoor year for me. I had surgery in April on my left elbow and right hand which had me laid up just as the fishing seasons kick off until late June. The weather has been horrid with streams blown out. I read we are +17" of rain from average. Now that hunting seasons in it's been bouncing between rain/sleet/snow mix and teens temps...to almost 60 the other day. Deer tracks are about 6 inches deep in the mud, and the few doe I've seen look like they had been mud wrestling.

It is what it is, and I'm plenty happy to keep plowing on as best I can.

#35 ·
I am in the same boat. We have had more rain this deer season than I can ever remember. We were 17 + inches above normal a month ago. Who knows what it is now. I heard the weatherman on tv say the other day it could not rain agin until Summer and we would not be hurt. I have seen 0 shooter bucks while hunting. This time of year I am generally getting ready to shoot a doe or two. Not this year. I am still trying to find a mature buck.

My best stand is located on a hardwood creek bottom surround on one side by green fields. The other sides are pine thicket. I have always had my choice of several shooter bucks. Not this year. I have logged hours and hours in this stand and have seen a few doe and several 1.5 year old bucks. Now it is flooded to the point that I have to wade to the stand in several places. Those 2 hurricanes that passed got the creek way out of the banks and made it a muddy mess. It dried up enough last week to get the deer to start using it again but on Saturday we got another couple of inches. I am hunting Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning and all day Saturday but now they are calling for rain/sleet/snow all day on Saturday into Sunday.

It has to eventually quit raining. I am just before shooting a few doe and writing this year off and start getting ready for next season.

Darin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.