Pier and Surf Forum banner

North Carolina Hogs

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  surfchunker 
#1 ·
Gotta taste for some pork.... Looking for any info on Public land or guided hunts in Eastern NC

thanks

#2 ·
http://www.highwatermarkadventures.com/

I have never hog hunted with Tom but spent MANY years chasing turkeys with him. Only one man I know who works as hard him as a guide (his partner in crime, Karl, but Karl doesn't hog hunt...yet). Between the two of them they guided 69 dead birds last season. I have seen his hog pics on FB and talked to those who know hunted with him and had great luck. Also does great with the bear...

As far as public land goes I know little to nothing about it. Sorry.

#6 · (Edited)
You can check out Howell Woods. Never hunted there but it works off of a lottery drawn hunt. Have hunted some private land on the coastal border of NC and SC with a friend. Have taken one 200 Lb pig. Haven't been able to hunt there since. My buddy's friend lost his lease on the property. Would love to go again somewhere myself but can't afford a pay guided hunt. 200 Lbs made a lot of meat. We halved it and slow cooked on a pig cooker for 6 1/2 hours. Man was that some tender meat. That's me on the right.

#12 ·
Howell Woods isn't a game land it's an Environmental learning center in Four Oaks NC but they have hunting available for white-tailed deer, feral pigs, waterfowl, grey squirrel, and wild turkey through a paid reservation and/or lottery system. You have to send in your information on an index card with I think $10.00 and if your drawn for a hunt you have to pay maybe $100.00? I can't remember but just look up Howell woods hunting and you can read about it. Like I said I haven't hunted there but was told about it from a friend.

#13 ·
I did check it out PT. Its part of Johnston Community College I bet he can get in on a pig hunt ASAP! I'd call em see what the chances are. Prices seem fair, since they are maintaining bait piles, cleaning station, stands, and will assist you in getting your harvest out. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

I do know that area pretty well, Lots of inexpensive lodging, campgrounds, and restaurants close to i95 if you're looking to do it economically. Big Outlet Mall (lots to do for wifey while you're hunting) and not a bad gun shop/hunting store nearby. Forty minutes or so from Raleigh, 1.5 hrs from the beach. Look up Springhill Outfitters, they are on exit 101, Kenly NC (I think). That's the shop's name maybe they can assist you further in alternate places besides Howell Woods and in any lull time that you are able to hunt there.

#15 ·
You can actually hunt pigs year round in NC and as many as you want ... No Lottery at all.. You can use any method to take them. You will need a NC Hunting License but, the " big game" license portion is not necessary. A Gamelands stamp is, if you hunt on any public lands in NC.

Hey All

thanks for the info. looking forward to scouting around some public lands and possibly a guided hunt in the near future.
Coming from Delaware I can be in the general area in 4 hours or so making a nice long weekend trip easy.
Heres to a nice mild winter/spring !!!

#17 ·
A " Guided Hunt"... LAMAO

Ain't a guided hunt ! You pay someone to take you to a stand that has a corn pile near it. They come back and pick you up. That's about as GUIDED as it gets.

I don't think he has a lease that allows him to hunt Howell Woods because that property is owned by Johnston Community College.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.