Question: Early spring fishing

Thread: Early spring fishing

Early spring fishing

I'll give the abbreviated version of "my story" I've been vacationing on the Outer Banks of NC for over 20 years. I love the lack of crowds, the local restaurants, and most importantly the fishing. Due to recent changes at work I may be forced to take my vacation in Feb or March of next year. That isn't normally prime time for OBX and we are considering a vacation in another location next year. If you were going to fish somewhere in March that had a laid back attitude and offered good fishing where would you go? We live in SW Virginia and I know we will be driving longer than normal but we want to make the most of the week. I'm not overly concerned with doing any of the normal "tourist" type things I just want to relax and catch some fish. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

The Florida keys or Louisiana. It's a long drive but if you want to catch saltwater fish that time of year and not freeze you need to head way south IMO. Been going to the keys for twenty years....love it.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't signed vacation weeks for next year yet but I will look at how far south I need to go according to the time of year. It's been over 20 years since I've been to Florida but I have family who vacations there every year.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

i live in va as well...feb i would go melbourne beach, sebastian inlet can be a mad house but i love fishing the surf around that area, should be deserted that time of year. water still warm enough to catch wide variety.

Thanks for the help. With some recent moves within our department I may sign a better week then expected originally. If not I'll definitely check into a trip to Florida. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Having lived year-round on the Outer Banks myself, count me among the "Florida" crowd for that time of year.