Question: 2015 F150 burried twice FAST... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 F150 burried twice FAST...

Put the 20"s on Craig's list or facebook as a trade for stock 17's.. some kid somewhere close by will bite

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I dont want to get crap for it. Truck only has 15000 miles on it, so I would have to get nice trade, not junk. Found a couple sets (18") cheap, just need some extra cash to go get them

Air down to 15- 18lbs. Unless you are going uphill in very soft sand you should not have a problem.

Thought id post an update to this...ran the Duramax camper combo on 20 in rims at 25 psi up front 30 psi back and had zero problems for a week on portsmouth island. Still think in time I'll replace the 20s with 17s but for now I'm comfortable with what I ran.

WTF did I do wrong? You are about twice as heavy empty and naked and I got burried twice! Da Funk???

Easy fix!!! Air down 1st!!!
    When you get stuck or come to a stop.....

.....don't gas on it. If you buried it to the frame, I would assume that the problem is: Operator Error!

And sometimes it could simply be that the tracks you're running in on the beach are too deep and you're "plowing sand with the pumpkin".....has happened once in very soft sand in my motorhome. Simply backed up before digging down further and rode down the center rather than in the tracks. This also may require digging out the rear pumpkin so you can actually back up and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeangler View Post
    Easy fix!!! Air down 1st!!!
    I was aired down to 20 on the pavement pad just past the fish cleaning tables

When you get stuck or come to a stop.....
    I did. First and 2nd time. I seriously buried it so quick it didn't matter how fast I stopped

If you buried it to the frame, I would assume that the problem is: Operator Error!
    Possible, always possible. I am not always the quickest of cats at the best of times. BUT I have driven on sand from Oregon Inlet to O'Coke and NEVER got stuck before this trip. I spent 10-12 weekends a year in the sand with my Tundra and never had issues. IDK, the only thing that changed was the truck. Makes me wonder about the 4WD system. Shouldn't have sold the Yoda

Continued:
    Well F.O.R.D. is living up to its POS reputation. 29,xxx miles: CEL on, and have had to have both 4wd hubs on the front replaced (first one is done, second is waiting for parts) I really thought it was strange how fast I got stuck and it may have been due to the 4wd not engaging correctly. I have also gone through and done a small block lift (2.5" front and 1.5" rear) and added Nitto Terra Grappler 35x11.50x20. No issues in Charlotte offroad (its a joke...)
    Looks better if nothing else.
    [IMG]httpimg.photobucket.com:///albums/v217/spydermn/7FE674A4-1236-49F5-8868-737623BCAE6F_zpsug9zswic.jpg[/IMG]

Still need to modify front rod rack to clear new tires

Get a set of Yukon locking hubs and never worry about those POS ford hubs again

my 3500 dodge just tripped 203,000, still gets 19mpg, not sure how a 10,000 pound dually will fair on the sand so not venturing to the beach with it, been a reliable ride considering its 15 years old.
    js

Quote Originally Posted by spydermn View Post
    Continued:
    Well F.O.R.D. is living up to its POS reputation. 29,xxx miles: CEL on, and have had to have both 4wd hubs on the front replaced (first one is done, second is waiting for parts) I really thought it was strange how fast I got stuck and it may have been due to the 4wd not engaging correctly. I have also gone through and done a small block lift (2.5" front and 1.5" rear) and added Nitto Terra Grappler 35x11.50x20. No issues in Charlotte offroad (its a joke...)
    Looks better if nothing else.
    [IMG]httpimg.photobucket.com:///albums/v217/spydermn/7FE674A4-1236-49F5-8868-737623BCAE6F_zpsug9zswic.jpg[/IMG]

I would wait until end of year sales and trade it in or sell. It's a nice looking truck but it's a lot of money to spend on a truck you aren't happy with. As long as your 4x4 is fixed I wouldn't expect you to have any problems with that wheel and tire combination as long as you air down. I would probably run around 12lbs if you keep it.

Well spending about $1500 on it seemed to do the trick

3"/2.5" leveling kit (spacers and blocks) and Nitto Terra Grapplers in 35x11.5x20. I had no issues at Fort Fisher. Still having an issue with the 4wd hub on the drivers front but hey, its a Ford.

I first aired down to 15 going out and it was easy. We went to Wilmington the next day for the kids and I aired back up to 35psi (I am lazy and didn't want to wait to air up all the way). Well I forgot to air down that afternoon before going back out to fisher and it still went with no issues. I did air down on the sand when we stopped. better safe than sorry.

[edit} sorry it looks like you solved the problem!

I think it's your wheels/tires. My wife's Range Rover Sport is the same way. 20 inch rims with very little sidewall, so it's difficult to air down enough. For her truck, it's a known drawback to an otherwise competent offroad truck, it even has a "sand mode" as part of the terrain response.

For her truck, the fix is to go up one size in tire aspect ratio, that's about all you can do without rubbing. You can get spacers, and also a "lift" (basically just rig the adjustable ride height to ride at the high clearance setting all the time) & go with even taller aspect tires, on stock rims.

There may be a way to do something similiar with your truck. I think you're just gonna have to get taller tires on the stock wheels. Also with my wife's truck, we can't go with 18s because they won't clear the brake rotors in front.

Would someone please explain, in simple terms, the benefits/why going from 20' wheels to 17' wheels helps in the sand. What about the ground clearance that you are loosing?
    I read this thread a couple of times, can't grasp the reasoning, yea I'll take the ribbing, what a DA.

Bosco: The issue is not with the size of the rim (20" or 17") it is with how much sidewall you loose if you have the same diameter tire (for easy math we will say 30") and how much sidewall deflection aka "ballooning" you lose.

***Note - this is an over simplified example with easy numbers. I am not going into the specifics of sidewall ratios etc....to much math for fishing ***

If you have the aforementioned 30" diameter tire with a 20" wheel you have a total of 10" of side wall with is then 5" of side wall on either side of the wheel. If you don't know the side wall is the part of the tire between the rim and the part of the tire that touches the ground. If you have the 30" diameter tire with the 17" wheel you now have 13" of side wall or 7.5" per side of the wheel. In this (simple) case the over all min/max clearance does not change since the overall diameter of the tire has not changed. This difference allows for more ballooning which spreads out the pressure over more area, i.e. you float better.

I achieved the same solution but by another route. I got larger sidewall tires on the same size wheel giving me the balloon I was missing with the stock tires, even when aired down. In my case I increased the size of the stock tire diameter from 31" to 35" giving me 2" more ground clearance and also got wider tires 10" to 11.5". All of this lead to a much better ride on the sand. I did go with A/T (all terrain) tires. Theses are slightly aggressive but not M/T (mud terrain). M/Ts have huge knobbies and have a nasty habit of digging in sand badly. Also the "lift" I did on my truck did not do anything to assist in the actual ground clearance, it assisted with tire clearance. The tires added 2" of clearance to the ground but I had to get the wheel wells out of the way to clear the bigger (taller and wider) tires.

I also saw this video posed here a while ago about airing down. Not that you asked about airing down but he talks about the how and why the ballooning works.

hope this helps. I know I can get long winded.

before 4x we would put on bald balooney hardly ever had issues...so i am thinking tires problems

Does it have the heated rear bumper option some Fords have? That's to keep frost bite off the hands of the people trying to push you out when your stuck during the cold winter months!

No, I didn't get that option, but it does have a step to make it easier to get on the tail gate while waiting for the tow truck

That's a good one spyderman, Just kidding about fords, I've owned a few myself! You have good since of humor, rare these days I'm afraid!

I think the 20's will be fine if you go up from 55's to 60 or 65's. I have a 2014 RAM 1500 (not putting Fords down). I've aired down to 18psi and haven't had an issue with my 20's (275/60/20). Not sure how much space you have but you may need to get a leveling kit or lift to go up to 65's. Sounds like you will have that covered.

The issue I am having with my 20's are the size tires that I really want require at 20x8.5 rims and up and mine are 20x8. I think I'm going to level the front to 2.8 and go with a 285/60/20. That should give me an inch plus the 2.8 should give me a little breathing room for the front.

The other issue is these newer full size 1500 trucks are so low up front. The front air dam drags like a mother. Hoping the leveling kit and the slightly taller tire will help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12