Pier and Surf Forum banner

How do you determine correct screw eye size and where do you get them?

Question: 
1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Solesolace 
#1 ·
I've started a few lure making projects since my fishing time has been really limited this summer.

Now that I'm in the finishing stages, I'm having a hard time figuring out what size screw eyes to use (can't get them locally and I feel like I need to see them to judge whether or not they're too big) and where I can get them. I'm building freshwater and saltwater poppers and plugs (ranging from 1" to 6"). A Google search turns up a multitude of sellers, but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with any of them. I'd rather not order blind or deal with the hassles that can come from dealing with a crappy online retailer.

I'm also trying out some jigs/spoons made from repurposed materials.

I'll post pictures when I get further along in the building process, but any and all input that you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
I buy from Janns net craft. Sizing depends on two factors, hook size (how far you want the hook to hang from the bait) and split ring size( you want a ring that is close enough to stay tight during a fight, but not so tight that it will not swing if the fish turns.)You also don't want the hook to be so loose that it can provide momentary slack in the line when a fish throws it's head...crafting stores (like Michael's) sell the same hook eyes and offer them in stainless as well...

#4 ·
I dont remember what section I saw them in( I don't like to admit I go in there or receive coupons via email there, but they have some unbeatable prices on some things, especially with said coupons) but crafters use them for hanging smaller items and craft boat builders use them for rigging lines, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.