Which blank for pier/IRI jigging?

Thread: Which blank for pier/IRI jigging?

Which blank for pier/IRI jigging?

, possible lures, And possibly some bottom fishing. Looking at the Croix Trek series. 7'6", MH, H, and XH. The MH does 10-20# and 1/2 to 1.25 oz, H does 15-30 and 3/4-2, XH does 17-40 and 1-3. I think that the MH will be a bit on the light side for the application. Throw on a gulp tipped buck tail and a teaser and I'll be at the upper limit of my casting capability, the H sounds good for jigging but might be a bit light for some lures, and the XH seems a bit in the heavy side, but I don't know for sure. Opinions? I won't be building the rod, I'm just specifying.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

If you gave some more info on what you'd like to target and what times of the year you'd be fishing it might help people understand what you want to do with the rod. Many people have a dozen or more rods for fishing IRI depending on the conditions and what lures they want to use. I myself stick to 3 main rods, a 10' 2-5oz (heavy jigs and lures when the current is ripping), a 9' 1-4oz (what I use most often when targeting striped bass), and a 7' 1/2-2oz (flounder and smaller bass rod). This covers just about every situation pretty well. It would be tough to do everything I like to do there with only one rod. There are times when the current is going so fast that I've had to throw 5 oz to get to the strike zone.

I'm looking mainly to target flounder. Leaning towards the 3/4-2 oz rated rod

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Spinning or Conventional ?

If conventional, a "Flipping Stick" - style rod might be worth checking out.

Does it have to be a "travel rod" ?

Tight Lines !

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cdave View Post
    Spinning or Conventional ?

If conventional, a "Flipping Stick" - style rod might be worth checking out.

Does it have to be a "travel rod" ?

Tight Lines !
    I'm leaning towards spinning just because from the research I have done, spinning reels seem more salt friendly with the ability to rinse them, etc.

Almost all my trips to go fishing are family vacations, so the rod needs to break down to no more than 5 feet long

Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post
    Almost all my trips to go fishing are family vacations, so the rod needs to break down to no more than 5 feet long

Your 5ft maximum overall length, when packed, is a good thing. That opens you up to a great selection of 2-piece rods, rather than just 3 or more piece "travel rods". If possible, try to actually handle the rods you are considering to see how they "feel" .

In my opinion, you don't need to spend anywhere near the $500 price that those rods command !

http://stcroixrods.com/products/saltwater/legend-trek/

http://www.tackledirect.com/st-croix...trek-rods.html

What reel will you be using ?

Tight Lines !

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cdave View Post
    Your 5ft maximum overall length, when packed, is a good thing. That opens you up to a great selection of 2-piece rods, rather than just 3 or more piece "travel rods". If possible, try to actually handle the rods you are considering to see how they "feel" .

In my opinion, you don't need to spend anywhere near the $500 price that those rods command !

http://stcroixrods.com/products/saltwater/legend-trek/

http://www.tackledirect.com/st-croix...trek-rods.html

What reel will you be using ?

Tight Lines !

Wel Dave .. How about show us all the flatties and specks you've caught?

I mean you are such an expert at all kinds of fishing and all.

I won't be spending $500 on it, will be paying for the blank and components.

Looking to use a ????5000 series I think Shimano - possibly a Stella, maybe something JDM at a lower price point like the Twinpower

I have a St Croix Tidemaster 1/2 - 2 oz that I use. It is 8' long. Mine is conventional but they do have spinning.

Sandcrab