Oak island report?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak island report?

Oak island report?

I came down to Oak Island and stayed 4/29 to 5/2 we caught a few whiting on fishbites and a dog fish here n there. We will be back down May 28 through june 4 just wondering how the surf fishing is these last few weeks. I went back to Barbee street dock and threw my net for an hour or so with only a few pin fish to show any bait showing up yet? Ill post each day how it goes for me here. Ill be staying on Caswell beach in mid june never fished it befor how is it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I will be there the same week. I will check in on your reports and I will give an update on how I do as well. im coming in the 26th-30th.

Good deal we are staying on the west end of the island ocean front hope some bait has moved in in the last couple of weeks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Im gonna be bringing my kayaks down and my shark rods might be a bit early but i cant resist the urge. Has anyone caught any sharks yet.

Willip I think they have caught a few from reports Iv seen on Facebook . Hope u have good luck I'll be down for the last 2 weeks in June to try my luck then moving there in August hope to hear some more reports

Fished mon afternoon to thurs morning on east end
    for flounder this past week. Didn't get a keeper until wed afternoon, 16"and lost one around 18". also got 4 trout between 14.5 and 19.75".

WilliP...Fished yesterday from the point in Oak Island from 7am to 4pm. Hooked up to more garbage can sized rays than anything. I did catch a few 3-4 foot sharks on my drum set ups baited with blue and whiting heads. They were dredging the main channel about 200 yards from me so that could be another reason for all the rays. I think you will do ok with the yak if you stay away from the dredge. I caught blues, whiting, rays, short flounder, and sharks. It was a slow day but had enough pullage to keep me interested.

I wouldnt mind hooking a few rays anything pulling would be fun ill have to take a trip to the point n see what i can do. I havnt been to the inlet in 10 or 15 years prob. my parents used to make me make that hike i just remember feeling like i was walking through the Sahara lol. Does anyone know where i can buy a set of ez roll tires for my fishing mate down there ive run out of time to order them for this trip

Try Oak Island Sporting Goods, the tackle shop on Oak Island Dr close to where you come onto the island. They had them the last time I was in there.

I e been there befor very nice tackle shop. I hope this damn tropical weather dont come up been looking forward to this to long

Not much to report on for my first 2 days here. Even with 4oz on i couldnt keep a bait in the water heading out now ill see how it goes today.

Keep us posted, coming down soon....

Yesterday was good caught 10 whiting lost count on the dogfish and a short black drum all came on fishbites ez shrimp chartreuse. Ran through a whole pack. Went to get more this morning and nobody has the chartruse so i just got white. Its been pooring rain all morning hope it lets off for the afternoon.

You on the surf or fishing the pier? I saw some nice ones on Facebook caught from ocean crest pier, thanks for the report.

Surf fishing. Tuesday was a wash i did go down to the water and throw a gotcha plug a lil but no luck. Were heading out to the big water today out of south port

4 5ft black tips and a cobia in the boat 2hrs left looking to hook a king now

Good luck with the kings and maybe some more Cobia....

Damn storms ran us off had to cut our trip short. Headed down to the surf with fishbites and caught nothing. Then a massive school of pogies started down the beach sent my son running for the cast net while i was snagging a few with a gotcha plug. I probably caught 200 or 300 in the castnet then it was on we i couldnt keep lines in the water we caught 2 huge lady fish 2 bonnet head sharks a big blue and had a ray on the size of my truck hood i lost him in the wash. I got about 100 more pogies on ice about to head down to the beach and try again.

Is there a way to post pictures on this forum

This is giving me hope! We're coming down this Saturday June 4th. Can't wait to get some lines wet. Thanks for the reports, I'll post any information I can next week. Tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by WilliP View Post
    Is there a way to post pictures on this forum
    Hey, glad you got in some action this morning, for pics go to third one from the right and click on the icon for photos.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliP View Post
    Damn storms ran us off had to cut our trip short. Headed down to the surf with fishbites and caught nothing. Then a massive school of pogies started down the beach sent my son running for the cast net while i was snagging a few with a gotcha plug. I probably caught 200 or 300 in the castnet then it was on we i couldnt keep lines in the water we caught 2 huge lady fish 2 bonnet head sharks a big blue and had a ray on the size of my truck hood i lost him in the wash. I got about 100 more pogies on ice about to head down to the beach and try again.
    Was down on Caswell Beach last Saturday and can attest to the bait fish in the surf. The birds were having a hey day and saw several fishermen out there with their cast nets and boats so close to the beach you could almost touch them. Didn't see the fishermen catching much other than little sharks, but sounds like the other fish were out there. Will be back next weekend and plan on hitting the surf hard.

Ill be back next saturday myself ill be staying on caswell this time. I caught another monster skate on a mud minnow. 5 whitting on fishbites bloodworm chartreuse and a short flounder yesterday. Seems the chartruse is the ticket flavour didnt matter we didnt catch a thing on any other color but bring some with you its hard to find on the island

Thanks for the reports, I'm heading that way next week, i'll keep any action posted.

Fished OKI yesterday(yaupon Pier).. Met some nice Folks.. Observed, A few nice Trout caught under floats in the Early AM.. A blue or 2 now & then...
    No Spanish on plugs, though, I did see'em jumping in the Early AM jumping around 50 yards in front of the pier.. Yes, I was "Pin-Rigging"..
    Sw wind switching to South late in the Day, had,,, the Sharks turned on, Black-Tips & One Spinner... bottom fisher folks, were catching numerous Dogsharks..
    Lots, of bait balls, pogies & grass shad.. other than that nothing much to report..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast