Question: Spacing and size spinning guides

Thread: Spacing and size spinning guides

Spacing and size spinning guides

Hey guys I am going to be building my first surf rod and I am going to be building a ccp 13ft 6-10 I understand all of the concepts except one I am going to build this as a spinning rod and I want to build it for a spin fisher v 8500 what determines the size and spacing of my guides? I have read a lot but what it usually comes down to is what ever makes the builder comfortable? Thanks for you advice guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

This won't answer you question, but I'm assuming you're going to use this for 8 & bait. After having the same rod built as a spinning then after a season having it rebuilt as a conventional. I would seriously reconsider building it as a spinner. You'd likely get a lot better distance and find the rod easier to cast. A penn squall 15 weights a lot less than a 8000 spinfisher and is cheaper.

If you do build it as a spinner, I would definitely use kwag or tangle resistant guides. The deciding moment to have mine rebuilt as a conventional happened after a wind knot in 30# braid removed the 4th guide down from the tip while casting 8oz lead and a spot head.

Thanks for the reply I have an 8&bait rod already which I enjoy and a Abu blue yonder it's more for me to build my own rod I've always wanted too I have repaired broken guides on my own rods and did really well some looked better than factory but I will take it into consideration