I Bought An Xterra . . . - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Bought An Xterra . . .

Congrats. I just bought a 2012 with 96K. Love it so far!

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

If the steering ever gets sloppy due to idler arm bushing wear I have found that bandit4x4 makes some bronze bushings that replace the factory plastic ones and last MUCH longer.

If you do not upgrade the suspension and tires then the factory bushings will probably last you a long time.

I recently put a 2" lift with 33s on mine, makes it not so soccer mom looking

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

I guess that I ought to chime in....2015 Xterra S with less than 20k miles.

I'm considering an Xterra in the next few months. My hypothetical all in budget would be up to 15K. This will be my beach buggy, and back up vehicle. I'd want it to be reliable enough to make the 4hr trip from RVA to Hatteras without issues. I don't know much about these, mostly just what I've read in this thread. Typically I like to put some aftermarket wheels aggressive tires (Nitto Trailgrapplers have kept me happy) in a 33-35" size. The biggest size I can squeeze with a leveling kit, as adding a suspension lift isn't usually in my budget. I would be open to one that already had a modest suspension lift (up to 6").

Being that this is the 4x4 forum, and my intended use is for beach driving, i feel kind of inclined to only look at the Off-Road model. If I drop that requirement, and search autotrader for all 4x4 Xterra's the results are about 10x the results.

Can any current or former Xterra owning beach driver comment on the need of the Off-Road package?
    Other than the 2004-2008 models, any other years to stay away from?

Off-road model isnt needed for beach, theres not really anything extra that you'd use on the beach over a standard one. Biggest you can fit is a 33" with a 2" lift being budget friendly. If you want 35s ve ready to spend a lot more to lift it up to clear them.
    As far as reliability, I bought my 2010 in October 2016 and have put a little over 45k miles on it. Been to FL twice, GA once, NJ and DE a million times, OBX once. Took it on the sand and it did absolutely amazing. Blew my 04 grand Cherokee out of the water
    I have 150k miles on mine now and only thing I've had is a cam sensor go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kurazy kracka View Post
    Off-road model isnt needed for beach, theres not really anything extra that you'd use on the beach over a standard one. Biggest you can fit is a 33" with a 2" lift being budget friendly. If you want 35s ve ready to spend a lot more to lift it up to clear them.
    As far as reliability, I bought my 2010 in October 2016 and have put a little over 45k miles on it. Been to FL twice, GA once, NJ and DE a million times, OBX once. Took it on the sand and it did absolutely amazing. Blew my 04 grand Cherokee out of the water
    I have 150k miles on mine now and only thing I've had is a cam sensor go bad.
    Just wait till the tranny blows up...they're famous for that ...Just ask your buddy lucky OC on SOL ...he cooked his tranny at AI one day....notoriously WEAK nissan trannies !

Quote Originally Posted by Pomatomus salta View Post
    Just wait till the tranny blows up...they're famous for that ...Just ask your buddy lucky OC on SOL ...he cooked his tranny at AI one day....notoriously WEAK nissan trannies !
    Leave the crossdressers out of this,

oh look here comes the clown spouting off while he knows nothing about shit. The transmissions are completely fine on them, the 05-09 had an issue with the radiator/trans cooler which would cause the fluids to mix and take the trans out. This can be fixed/avoided by installing an updated radiator. The other way people fix it is bypass the trans cooler in the radiator but then you're going to overheat it when wheelin'.

I'd swear you were queer as a 3 dollar bill for as much as you follow me and try to ride my ass.

My suggestion would be to AIR DOWN (alot of folks skip this step because they are lazy or dumb or both). Yes you MIGHT be able to traverse certain sections of beach without airing down but you are cooking your transmission. You wont know this because vehicles mostly dont have transmission temp gauges. When I had my 350 yes it would work without airing down and 4wd high, but it took alot of skinny pedal and I watched my transmission temp gauge almost peg.
    Aired down to around 18psi and put it in 4wd low and she cruised right along on top of the sand and my transmission temps never got higher than around 100* over ambient air temp.

oh look here comes the clown spouting off while he knows nothing about shit. The transmissions are completely fine on them, the 05-09 had an issue with the radiator/trans cooler which would cause the fluids to mix and take the trans out. This can be fixed/avoided by installing an updated radiator. The other way people fix it is bypass the trans cooler in the radiator but then you're going to overheat it when wheelin'.

I'd swear you were queer as a 3 dollar bill for as much as you follow me and try to ride my ass.
    At the very least- I would add an auxilliary trans cooler on that pos , change the tranny filter ,then do a complete changeover to amsoil signature series synthetic ATF.
    Then do alot of praying every time you drive on the beach especially on a windless hot summer day !
    Lmk when u need a tow off the beach ......lol

At the very least- I would add an auxilliary trans cooler on that pos , change the tranny filter ,then do a complete changeover to amsoil signature series synthetic ATF.
    Then do alot of praying every time you drive on the beach especially on a windless hot summer day !
    Lmk when u need a tow off the beach ......lol
    You really are one ignorant stubborn prick for an old turd.

Them 33 's ain't helping your tranny situation much either, especially if they have an aggressive tread pattern...Again I refer you to your favorite SOL forum...The late VA Earl had plenty of threads on there on the best type of tire to use for driving on the sand. A/T tires or "mudders" aren't recommended...plain old H/t smooth as possible are the ticket....Use that search button -Krack-ito !!!!

Them 33 's ain't helping your tranny situation much either, especially if they have an aggressive tread pattern...Again I refer you to your favorite SOL forum...The late VA Earl had plenty of threads on there on the best type of tire to use for driving on the sand. A/T tires or "mudders" aren't recommended...plain old H/t smooth as possible are the ticket....Use that search button -Krack-ito !!!!
    No shit non-aggresive thread is best.

Trans are stout in these, you're still talking out if your ass. Keep lurking and riding my dick.

Trans are stout in these, you're still talking out if your ass. Keep lurking and riding my dick.
    Now , now young man...you're getting so riled up by my suggestions to help out your potential tranny problem...that you can't even spell right..

it's tread and of .....

FWIW: I liked your f250 a whole lot better than what you got now.
    and...even though my new vehicle came with an air cooled aux tranny cooler- I'm still thinking of adding this fan cooled one in the future...https://21motorsports.com/derale-158...iABEgLZA_D_BwE
    I already did a complete purge of all the OEM fluid and converted to all AMSOIL...it runs 5 deg cooler already ,just swapping the fluid.
    AIMD is about 12 miles of beach to the VA line..That's alot of strain on any tranny ....
    Last edited by Pomatomus salta; 06-24-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Now , now young man...you're getting so riled up by my suggestions to help out your potential tranny problem...that you can't even spell right..

it's tread and of .....

FWIW: I liked your f250 a whole lot better than what you got now.
    and...even though my new vehicle came with an air cooled aux tranny cooler- I'm still thinking of adding this fan cooled one in the future...https://21motorsports.com/derale-158...iABEgLZA_D_BwE
    I already did a complete purge of all the OEM fluid and converted to all AMSOIL...it runs 5 deg cooler already ,just swapping the fluid.
    AIMD is about 12 miles of beach to the VA line..That's alot of strain on any tranny ....
    There is no potential trans problem so I'm fine. Like I said before, the ontl issue is where the radiator on 05-09 mixing fluids and taking it out. People do overheat them if they just bypass the trans cooler instead of fixing the problem. I know all about aux trans coolers, I had a real nice one on my built gto.

So did I but where I live and work it fit pretty much nowhere. We just picked up a 2014 loaded wrangler but it's too clean to fill with salt and sand, just a nice dd,

In all honesty, unless your transmission is naturally prone to overheating, I dont think an aux cooler is really necessary. In late models, if your vehicle has a factory tow package you probably already have one. I think most people like to run in 4Hi, which is hard on the whole drivetrain.
    Im not saying aux trans coolers are a bad idea, i think they are good cheap insurance against heat related failures. Thats not to say they will absolutely prevent them. Some common sense driving technique go a long way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123