I Bought An Xterra . . . - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Bought An Xterra . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mingham View Post
    Xterra and the Frontier look great. I had a 95 pathfinder that would not stop. I think I pulled a suburban a few miles down Carolina Beach many many years ago now. How does the truck ride with the rack on the front? I currently have a 15 taco and was wondering if it would put to much weight on the front end considering I have a 6 hour drive to OBX or 4 to Wilmington. Thank you in advance.

Another benefit of the 1st gen nissans is that they have torsion bars instead of springs for front suspension. It is very easy to tighten the t-bars to raise the front of the truck slightly and make it handle front weight better. I have a winch, steel front bumper AND regularly haul $200+ lbs on a front rack with no problem.

Of course, anytime you adjust the torsion bars you will need an alignment if you leave them in that setting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Byron/pa View Post
    Do not buy a 2004 - 2008 Xterra regardless of how good of a seal it may be ..............google " nissan xterra complaints"

What is wrong with a 2004? The 2nd generation xterras started in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by nissan11 View Post
    Yea I did as he said and googled....2004 isn't a problem as far as I can tell!

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

You are correct . . . The 2nd Generatrion XTERRA's have the radiator problem that destroys the transmission, not the 1st Generation ( 1999 - 2004 ).

If you buy a 2nd Gen, I suggest totally bypassing the integral automatic transmission cooler in the radiator, just to be safe. DERALE makes some excellent units.

Tight Lines !

PA, on what used to be the greatest river of them all
    My bad .............

Hey Dave,
    have you had a chance to take your Xterra into any kind of sand yet ?
    how did it perform on the interstate ?
    anything you are pleased or not pleased with ?
    I'm still looking for a '03/04 4x4model

Quote Originally Posted by BarefootJohnny View Post
    Hey Dave,
    have you had a chance to take your Xterra into any kind of sand yet ?
    how did it perform on the interstate ?
    anything you are pleased or not pleased with ?
    I'm still looking for a '03/04 4x4model
    Yes, I drive it offroad on the weekends. Nothing like soft beach sand yet, but I haven't had any issues, especially with the LOKKA in the front differential, along with Warn HD manual locking hubs, and the re-packed LSD ( Limited Slip Differential ) out back, which provides "real" 4-wheel drive. Interstate driving is great.

At a steady 70 mph cruise, it gets 19 - 19.5 mpg on the interstate. My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more power, maybe 50 -70 hp more ( Stock is 180 hp ). It just feels "underpowered" to me, even with the 4.90 gears, but it keeps on pulling.

It's not a "hot-rod", to be sure, and I specifically avoided the "SC" Supercharged model ( 210 hp ), after hearing about issues with them.

Tight Lines !

thank you. Its a little too tough for most people, so you aren't alone in your feeling of demasculinity.
    lol

I picked this up over fall, had to sell my 6.0 on 37s :'(

2010 off-road model.
    It gets the job done and is extremely practical for surf fishing but it's boring as hell to drive. Gonna pick up a toy sometime this year.

great looking car !!
    why do you think it is boring ????

it's just a normal every day car. Prior i had a lifted diesel f250, a lifted diesel excursion, a built gto....stuff that was fun to drive lol

ah ok - got it.

at 70 years old, I tend to go a much less aggressive route.
    Your new car is my cup of tea. And I am partial to the white SUV.

I'm all about white cars since my f250, I prefer them now. I can't wait to get this on the sand though, it should do well. Dana 40 rear, electronic locker in the rear, skid plates, etc. The plastic floor for the rear cargo area makes it real easy for clean up too. Extremely practical fishing vehicle and doesn't break the bank.

Haven't ever found anything practical "fun" to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kurazy kracka View Post
    I picked this up over fall, had to sell my 6.0 on 37s :'(

2010 off-road model.
    It gets the job done and is extremely practical for surf fishing but it's boring as hell to drive. Gonna pick up a toy sometime this year.
    KK it looks really good dude!! I'm sure your new bride will enjoy it as well instead of climbing into a jacked up truck.. If was anything like Bad350's . As long as it rides good on the highway, does what it needs to on the sand is what matters.
    I love white vehicles for myself. Every vehicle I own is white, all my company cars were white...Now you need to drag your Candy Ass down in April ..

Quote Originally Posted by DaBig2na View Post
    KK it looks really good dude!! I'm sure your new bride will enjoy it as well instead of climbing into a jacked up truck.. If was anything like Bad350's . As long as it rides good on the highway, does what it needs to on the sand is what matters.
    I love white vehicles for myself. Every vehicle I own is white, all my company cars were white...Now you need to drag your Candy Ass down in April ..
    Yea I'll be sticking to white from here on. It wasn't quick as tall as Chris's but still a big girl.
    What turns on in April? That's big bass n blues here and doing a tarpon charter in the keys at end of the month.

Drum should be turning on about then.. Hopefully the Tree Hugging Bird Nazis Won't close The Point down because the American Oystercatchers and Plovers are having sex As they've done in years past. Bring some Busch Beer and maybe Garbo will teach you how to cast a Heaver... I hope he is still around come April.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBig2na View Post
    Drum should be turning on about then.. Hopefully the Tree Hugging Bird Nazis Won't close The Point down because the American Oystercatchers and Plovers are having sex As they've done in years past. Bring some Busch Beer and maybe Garbo will teach you how to cast a Heaver... I hope he is still around come April.
    Yeah Kracka I will be happy to teach you a little to throw a heaver, will even let you borrow one of mine if you are around me on the beach. I was practicing my pendulum cast for an hour here in KDH this morning. Wonder why I waited so long for the pendulum, the way I am doing it is actually pretty compact and does not take up as much space as my previous styles did.
    It bombs it on out there.

I checked this thread thinking Dave had been let back on, and he was giving us an update on his Locker's. Guess Dave is still down for the count...

Jam has a Xterra.

In 1987 I had a one ton GMC Sierra jacked up with a four inch lift and 38" inch Monster Mudders, it had a 327 Corvette motor in it and four speed manual transmission, but it was real slow with the big tires. My Father hated that truck, I likely will never buy a jacked up vehicle again, as long as I don't go in dicey areas my Grand Cherokee goes down the beach and road much more smoothly than that GMC vibrating wailing monster (it would wail when you got the 4-barrel on the Holley carb opened up, in a foot race the Grand Cherokee would smoke it in a 1/4 mile race.

So many Cops on the OBX hunting for infractions you cannot get much over the speed limit these days before you have Blue Lights a flashing in your rear view mirror. For some reason I think about a Ford F150 second generation Lightning for driving to the pier parking lot from time to time. No 4x4 but it makes a nice grocery getter and makes the right kind of growl when the supercharger gets spinning..
    Last edited by Garboman; 01-30-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garboman View Post
    Yeah Kracka I will be happy to teach you a little to throw a heaver, will even let you borrow one of mine if you are around me on the beach. I was practicing my pendulum cast for an hour here in KDH this morning. Wonder why I waited so long for the pendulum, the way I am doing it is actually pretty compact and does not take up as much space as my previous styles did.
    It bombs it on out there.

I checked this thread thinking Dave had been let back on, and he was giving us an update on his Locker's. Guess Dave is still down for the count...

Jam has a Xterra.

In 1987 I had a one ton GMC Sierra jacked up with a four inch lift and 38" inch Monster Mudders, it had a 327 Corvette motor in it and four speed manual transmission, but it was real slow with the big tires. My Father hated that truck, I likely will never buy a jacked up vehicle again, as long as I don't go in dicey areas my Grand Cherokee goes down the beach and road much more smoothly than that GMC vibrating wailing monster (it would wail when you got the 4-barrel on the Holley carb opened up, in a foot race the Grand Cherokee would smoke it in a 1/4 mile race.

So many Cops on the OBX hunting for infractions you cannot get much over the speed limit these days before you have Blue Lights a flashing in your rear view mirror. For some reason I think about a Ford F150 second generation Lightning for driving to the pier parking lot from time to time. No 4x4 but it makes a nice grocery getter and makes the right kind of growl when the supercharger gets spinning..
    I have never even attempted to throw a conventional in my life, 1 birds nest and I don't think I would ever touch one again.

Funny you mentioned a lightning.......I'm highly considering picking this 03 up this weekend. I checked it out on Sunday and it was clean as can be, low miles too. (89k)

You know Garbo.........them Toyota tundras have an option for a blows.........here in the Chevy dealer world were going to start offering Whipple blowers as an accessory, looking forward to putting those on

Quote Originally Posted by kurazy kracka View Post
    I have never even attempted to throw a conventional in my life, 1 birds nest and I don't think I would ever touch one again.

Funny you mentioned a lightning.......I'm highly considering picking this 03 up this weekend. I checked it out on Sunday and it was clean as can be, low miles too. (89k)

Sits too low and no extra space.You'll never get used to std.cab

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymon View Post
    Sits too low and no extra space.You'll never get used to std.cab
    Didn't end up buying it. It was gonna be just a weekend car so I'm not worried about space or height.

Quote Originally Posted by NC KingFisher View Post
    You know Garbo.........them Toyota tundras have an option for a blows.........here in the Chevy dealer world were going to start offering Whipple blowers as an accessory, looking forward to putting those on
    I am now thinking about a new F150 with Ecoboost 2.7L the base model 4x4 is about $15K more than the used Lightnings and it goes down the sand just fine.

2.7L Ecoboost not quite as fast as the Lightning but faster than the 5.7 Hemi and the GM 5.3L. and cheaper than the 6.2L in a Silverado which is about $15K more minimum.

Wish GM would put the 6.2L in a base model Silverado 4x4 with plastic floor and seat and that would be what I would be most interested in.

Porpoises were blasting Trout or Sea Mullet this morning in fairly close, about 100 yards or so off the beach. Went Trout fishing by Avalon Pier this morning but nothing hit the Gulp tipped jigs.

Man that is a sweet truck!! Enjoy it. Red Xterra is sweet.

[QUOTE=Garboman;1028674]I am now thinking about a new F150 with Ecoboost 2.7L the base model 4x4 is about $15K more than the used Lightnings and it goes down the sand just fine.

2.7L Ecoboost not quite as fast as the Lightning but faster than the 5.7 Hemi and the GM 5.3L. and cheaper than the 6.2L in a Silverado which is about $15K more minimum.

Wish GM would put the 6.2L in a base model Silverado 4x4 with plastic floor and seat and that would be what I would be most interested in.

I saw alot of complaints about f150 with an ecoboost getting dug in right down to the frame in the sand...something about too much torque from that engine..I did alot of homework before purchasing and it all came down to tundra vs silverado.ruled out ford f150(getting stuck).. and dodge due to trans issues...nissan titan wasn't even in the running.Tundra did not have a locking rear diff or an auxilliary tranny cooler ...Chevy did ...went with the silverado with the 5.3l...couldn't be happier ...and I averaged 22.06 mpg on my last tank of gas ..that beats tundra by 7 mpg's ! ...I talked to several guys in the construction trade ..they have driven everything out there and seen all kinds of problems with every brand...they were big on GMC sierra as having the least issues..After driving a few sierras - I found the seat in both the slt and sle versions to be uncomfortable ..Silverado is the next of kin...and the seats were like sitting on my living rm couch..Sold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast