MD Rockfish Regulations Finally Out
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MD Rockfish Regulations Finally Out

MD Rockfish Regulations Finally Out

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/

Opening Days April 18 through May 15 only one allowed at 28"-36" or over 40". I dunno the rationale for not keeping 37" through 40".

May 16 through May 31 for bay only, you can keep two 20" to 28", but one can be over 28". June 1 through December 15, bay fishing is extended to tributaries with the same rules.

Coastal fishing is very strict. Same all year, but you can only keep one at 28" or larger.

Happy striped bass fishing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Strictly politics , the coastal guys fishing on the same fish we do in the spring went from 2 big fish (some states 3) down to one. New York is allowed a fish under 28 inches in the rivers. New Jersey is still allowed 2 big fish and you can still buy a bonus stamp (New Jersey really felt the pain huh) and all the states fought against MD bay /Va bay / Potomac river fisheries commission to prevent us from submitting our own data. If we could submit our data chances are our season and sizes would have remained the same as before. For those that it bothers support you local fisheries and contact the proper officials but do so with the proper background information. It's going to be an interesting ride this year but at least we can still catch them better than the Yankees

If you care aboutg mercury/toxins, I would not keep a single fish over 36 inches. I wished it was 28-36 inches and a bonus stamp.
    The idea is for some anglers to keep their once in a lifetime fish.

Bumping the original 18 inches to 20 inches minimum is a huge plus for the sake of conservation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Conservation means changing the commercial regulations. That has yet to happen. Us shore bound guys are a drop in the bucket compared to them.

But the recreational fishery that harvests more fish and targets "trophy" fish all up and down the coast is conservation friendly?

there's a lot of people fishing the shoreline along the Rockfishes migratory route from North Carolina to Nova Scotia, every river, harbor, bay, inlet, ect... would hardly call that a drop in the bucket

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cart View Post
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/

Opening Days April 18 through May 15 only one allowed at 28"-36" or over 40". I dunno the rationale for not keeping 37" through 40".

!
    Be very careful with that 37". The reg says larger than 36" which means a whisker hair over 36" must be released. As far as the rational behind the >36" - 40" release it protects that class of fish for breading.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish1928 View Post
    If you care aboutg mercury/toxins, I would not keep a single fish over 36 inches. I wished it was 28-36 inches and a bonus stamp.
    The idea is for some anglers to keep their once in a lifetime fish.

Bumping the original 18 inches to 20 inches minimum is a huge plus for the sake of conservation.
    Agreed..........AMEN!

Leave in water on a line bc they shrink if left in cooler. Dnr has ramped their staff so more will be out

Hi,Sick of this ****.FACT! Shore fisherman do not come even close to what the commercial guys do.Who do you think fished out the stripers in the 70s and 80s commercial.They take tons of stripers in a day period ive seen it up close.If you do think sport fisherman are the cause your fn nutts and dont know **** about the fisheries and another your a commercial fisherman posting this bull**** or you work for one period!Im out tired of all the bull**** on here thats why alot of good people stopped posting on here.Yes DNR are looking for that money6 for the state again so guys lookout whisker hair means whisker hair

Quote Originally Posted by striperone View Post
    Hi,Sick of this ****.FACT! Shore fisherman do not come even close to what the commercial guys do.Who do you think fished out the stripers in the 70s and 80s commercial.They take tons of stripers in a day period ive seen it up close.If you do think sport fisherman are the cause your fn nutts and dont know **** about the fisheries and another your a commercial fisherman posting this bull**** or you work for one period!Im out tired of all the bull**** on here thats why alot of good people stopped posting on here.Yes DNR are looking for that money6 for the state again so guys lookout whisker hair means whisker hair
    You might want to check the facts. Commercial fisherman take much less than the recreational fisherman. It is not commercial fisherman that are the main cause of the decline in the striper population today, it is the recreational fisherman. Commercial harvest as a percentage of total harvest has been in decline for years while the recreational harvest has grown.

John

Jlentz, you are talking to a brick wall. As long as you are pointing fingers at someone else, noone is looking back at you.

For the "if it wasn't for the netters crowd", according to the ASMFC website, rec harvest is ~19 million pounds (without properly accounting for release mortality) and commercial harvest is ~8 million pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by striperone View Post
    Hi,Sick of this ****.FACT! Shore fisherman do not come even close to what the commercial guys do.....
    Well I took some time to do some research and here are the cold, hard facts. This is the total catch of Atlantic Striped Bass by Fishery from 2003 - 2012. I have it by year if anyone is interested.

Commercial Total Harvest - 9.67 Millions of Fish
    Recreational Total Harvest - 23.08 Millions of Fish

End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by CJS View Post
    Jlentz, you are talking to a brick wall. As long as you are pointing fingers at someone else, noone is looking back at you.

For the "if it wasn't for the netters crowd", according to the ASMFC website, rec harvest is ~19 million pounds (without properly accounting for release mortality) and commercial harvest is ~8 million pounds.
    CJS I know it does no good and the facts do not mean much to some people but I would a least hope a few people can get a better understanding of the real situation. It is funny that stripeone comes on here with his rant and than he/she says a lot of good people stopped posting here because of the bull***. Maybe he/she will realize that people like him/her are the ones that are full of it and do not have the facts to back up their argument and they may be the real reason some of the good posters do not post on this site anymore.

John

What really bothers me is I was in Wegmans yesterday, There was a wild caught rock being displayed in the seafood section. This thing had to be 40 pounds. It was just laying on ice straight up. The fish was drying out and the skin just peeled off when I touched it. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker01 View Post
    What really bothers me is I was in Wegmans yesterday, There was a wild caught rock being displayed in the seafood section. This thing had to be 40 pounds. It was just laying on ice straight up. The fish was drying out and the skin just peeled off when I touched it. What a waste.
    Coms aren't even allowed to keep fish over 36". besides its not a waste if its being sold in a store to feed a family that chose to buy their fish instead of harvesting their self, they have just as much right as us sportfishermen

If you seen this fish no one would buy it. next time I will take a picture and weigh it and measure also. I NEVER SAID HOW LONG IT WAS , JUST HOW BIG IT LOOKED.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker01 View Post
    If you seen this fish no one would buy it. next time I will take a picture and weigh it and measure also. I NEVER SAID HOW LONG IT WAS , JUST HOW BIG IT LOOKED.
    Today's dried looking whole rock is tomorrow's wild caught fillets @ $11.99 lb.

No thanks thing looked like shoe leather.

I'm very glad to be a member here where at least some of you guys understand the facts behind comm vs Rec fishing

Zam I know in MD it is 18-36 for comm rockfish but it very well may be different in the ocean or Virginia.
    Tracker what color was the tag ? My Chesapeake itq tags are orange this year.
    Catman I hope one day we get a good reporting system for Rec guys that has some kind of enforcement just like the comm and charter guys.

But who's ready for opening day ? I know I'm excited but i am already fantasizing about live lining. I picked up a few new st Croix ice rods to use on the boat this year should be fun for those that remember pinky

Parking lot is way too crowded on opening day. What I'm looking forward to is live lining with you guys.

And then let's not forget all those poor 12-14" fish that are kept around MD in the summer. Fish that haven't even gotten a single spawn in.

Went by SPSP sat and there were a good 10 people out there but saw no action. Crazy hey are so late. I'm hoping they stay in the channels and get their spawn run done honestly.

The tag was white

You better check yourself Jlentz cause you havent got an fn clue prick.Everyone out here knows that the commercial fisherman have been a problem for years and still are FACT!.Its people like you that live on fantasy island somewhere and dont have a clue period.Ive been the commercial side and seen it with my own fn eyes.Wake up before long wont be know sport fishing because of them period

Jlentz your full of **** just like half the people on here.Boy things have changed on here in the last few years I remember all th eactual guys who fished and didnt post bull like sport fisherman take way more than commercial which everyone on here knows the truth.CJS your absolutely right dude you know the facts to and seen them.Its people like Lentz who ruins **** for others.And here ill even give you my real name lentz LEE!And most good people around this whole area know me as one hell of a fisherman and i know my ****,Commercial ruins the fisheries period

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast