Gear: power pro vs. tuf-line vs Samarai vs Suffix 832
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: power pro vs. tuf-line vs Samarai vs Suffix 832

power pro vs. tuf-line vs Samarai vs Suffix 832

What's the best braid for casting distance and knot strength for inshore spinning gear? My applications are for 15# to 30#.

Noticed Tuf-line XP has a 25#.which I'm thinking of trying. Also noticed 832 is way more expensive. Is it that much better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

If your gonna fish the bay you don't need anything more than 20lbs IMO. The smaller the diameter of the braid, the farther you can cast. One thing to consider though is that with thinner braid it tends to slice wet fingers so be careful. All the lines work well but I know that PP has a line called super slick and that has a more rounded braid pattern instead of the usual flat kind. I was gonna put it on my stella but they didn't have it in the vermillion red so I just got regular PP.

I can't really answer your question definitively, but I've used all you've listed except the Samurai and in breaking strengths from 15 to 65 lb. For the fishing I've done with them, I've only seen slight differences in performance. But, I don't generally cast any great distances, and have had no issues with knot strength with any of them. There are differences. All seem to start out a bit stiff when new, but become more manageable with use. All have shown some color loss, but I don't care about that, because I feel it's only for me to better see the line. I try to get the hi vis colors, because my eyes are not as good as they were when I was younger, but have some lo vis green on some bass rods. I don't believe color is an issue as far as the fish is concerned so if they loose all the color & turn white, I don't care.

I started with Power Pro, which was OK. Tried the Tufline, and liked it a bit better, because I could cast it a little better with a few less twists, wind knots or backlashes (baitcasting). I feel it's shape is better than that of Power Pro. I now prefer the 832, as it seems to be smoother thru the guides. I have it on a surf spinning rod, but have not done enough fishing with it to determine whether I would have any issues with it. I like it better than mono due to the lack of stretch, but still have mono on my other surf spinning reels. My surf rods are glass, so I get a better feel with the braid, but still use mono more, which is simply a matter of cost. Again, I feel the shape of the 832 provides a better "feel" to it.

I've used PP & Tufline in 15 lb on some freshwater spinning reels, and have had no major issues with it either. The rest of my use with braids has been with bass fishing & primarily for use with jigs & topwater frogs so casting distance is rather short, I've used them in 20 to 65 lb test. Again, no major issue with any of them, but again primarily on baitcasters. IMO, they're a better choice for baitcasters than spinning reels

IMO, much of this boils down to personal preference. I do like the 832 best so far, and the additional cost for it is not an issue. For me there is a better "feel" to the 832 when casting & when fishing with it compared to the other braids. The only one I really will not go back to using is the Power Pro. I didn't like it's feel all that much, so if I had no other choice, I would likely go back to mono. Can't explain it other than that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

The lines you listed are actually very different. well, there are 3 different types of lines of the 4. TUF and PP are "standard" 6 strand braids. I prefer standard Sufix over power pro, it's held up longer for me and I've had less issues with wind knots and mystery breaks. 832 is an 8 strand (hence the name), I've used that as well and frankly I can't tell too much of a difference between 832 and a standard braid.

Now, samauri is a different animal completely, it's technically a "PE line" google that. what you'll find with samurai is that it will be far thinner in diameter, but also will test more "true". most braids have a much higher breaking strength than what is listed. Samauri will NOT be very good if you are fishing near structure unless you use a far heavier test than what you might use in a standard or an 8 strand line. it IS an excellent line if you are casting and fishing open water. The PE thing is big for tuna jigging- as they don't have structure issues 50 miles out at sea.

With all the rays around (bay and surf) you're better off with 40, 50, or 65 lb IMHO ... and it's easier on the fingers, though these days most braids are softer (rounder) and thus not as hard on fingers. Braids all cast pretty good so far as distance is concerned, whether high or low lb rated. Sufix beats PP for me. One great thing about braid in the surf is that with smaller diameter than mono you don't need as heavy a weight to hold bottom ... the current can't "push" the line as easy!

I used power pro 20-30lb for years in the surf and always liked it. Bought some tuff-line 3 years ago to try because it was less expensive than PP. I really liked it as it was more supple, knot strength was as good as PP and I thought it casted a little better. I use it almost exclusively now.

Will you be bait fishing or casting lures? If you are bait fishing, brand and type don't really matter. If you are going to be casting lures then look no further than fireline which does well for bait fishing too...

Quote Originally Posted by Lipyourown View Post
    Will you be bait fishing or casting lures? If you are bait fishing, brand and type don't really matter. If you are going to be casting lures then look no further than fireline which does well for bait fishing too...
    First of all WOW! Awesome responses! I'm glad I joined this forum.

I do both. Mainly looking for distance for throwing swim baits, rattletraps, bucktails and such.

Didn't check into Berkely Fireline or Spidewire but will do so.

I do know Tuf-line is smaller in diameter than Power Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastrbaitr View Post
    If your gonna fish the bay you don't need anything more than 20lbs IMO. The smaller the diameter of the braid, the farther you can cast. One thing to consider though is that with thinner braid it tends to slice wet fingers so be careful. All the lines work well but I know that PP has a line called super slick and that has a more rounded braid pattern instead of the usual flat kind. I was gonna put it on my stella but they didn't have it in the vermillion red so I just got regular PP.
    You have a Stella? You Brat!

If I could afford a Stella I think I'd probably go with Suffix 832.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliYellowtail View Post

I'd just like to hold a Stella. $1100.00 is just a tad too rich for me. I'm eating hamburgers while your eating a Kobe beef steak. BTW I'd still put Power Pro on the Stella.
    Last edited by catman; 01-24-2015 at 07:44 PM.

I just bought a spool of 65# PP Super 8 Slick (marine blue) because it was on sale.
    The ABU 6501 that holds this will be my dedicated live swim bait outfit. Hope it works !!!!
    And I know absolutely nothing about braids !!

Fireline is what I prefer for smaller inshore stuff...
    I have Power Pro in #65 and #80 on my offshore bottom and jigging stuff right now but it's not my favorite by a long shot... just got good deals on it.
    I'm thinking of going to pony up for Jerry Brown braid or something similiar (Maybe the Daiwa Samuari)for the offshore gear.
    I've tried a bunch of braids for the small stuff and stick with the fireline.

I have a few needs for braid... lure fishing inshore, fishing around pier piling and way offshore.
    Everything else I use mono for.

I didn't really have any issues with power pro in 20lb on my sahara 2500. I picked up some 10lb spiderwire for dirt cheap so will give that a shot.

Gift from my father for Christmas. I'm a budget fisherman. My usual setup is battle reels on prevails. I cringe at the idea that I might drop the stella in the sand . I crank in rays with the 4k/8' using 20lb spider at matapeake like their spot. Just pump and crank. Anything more and the waves start pulling on the line IMO.
    Last edited by Mastrbaitr; 01-25-2015 at 01:16 AM.

I've used PP,fire line crystal, sufex 832 and super slick 8. Out of those after years of PP and Fire line I switched to super slick aqua green 15 & 20# on my surf and light tackle reels. I think the 832 is a better line but not that much to beat the SS8.

Quote Originally Posted by surfnsam View Post
    I've used PP,fire line crystal, sufex 832 and super slick 8. Out of those after years of PP and Fire line I switched to super slick aqua green 15 & 20# on my surf and light tackle reels. I think the 832 is a better line but not that much to beat the SS8.
    Dammit I knew I should have gone with the SSPP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastrbaitr View Post
    Dammit I knew I should have gone with the SSPP.
    I don't know. I have PPSS 30# aqua green on my Stradic fi 8000. It's definitely quieter going thru the guides but an Issue I have is it's hard cut and frays at the termination even with braid scissors. Never found this an issue w/ regular power pro or Tuf-line.

Also over at the "Stripers online" forum is seems to be Suffix 832 hands down and the reviews at Bass Pro don't seem to be that great on PPSS. It all boils down to a matter of preference I guess.

I think for around the same expensive price for 300 yds. I'm going w/ Suffix 832.

Yeah guys at bps were bad mouthing ss8 and when it came out years ago it had some problems with mystery break age. I have it on 6 reels and have had 0 problems with it.

Being hard to cut is a good thing and with any type of braid after tying a knot I will melt the tag to about a 1/4" from knot just in case it does slip on a big fish(wishful thinking);-)
    Last edited by surfnsam; 01-25-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by surfnsam View Post
    ............Being hard to cut is a good thing and with any type of braid after tying a knot I will melt the tag to about a 1/4" from knot just in case it does slip on a big fish(wishful thinking);-)
    When I smoked I did the same thing - touched the tag end to the cigarette to keep it from possibly slipping under the wrap.. Now I just put a drop of super glue on the knot.

I have tried many kinds of braid for my baitrunner reels. And my snakehead reels.
    PP good but many air knots
    SS PP less wind knots but if one occurs only scissors will work
    TuffLine is good but rough on line guides and will not untangle
    Diamond Braid is awesome strong and very abrasive resistant but takes on water after twenty or so casts and results in shorter casts
    Berkley Spider wire is great line but since it is heat extruded consistent line test is not a reality
    832 is smooth and no air loops also it untangles the best of all braids listed
    Cortland Spectra is super smooth but not woven very well so it tends to bind in reels very badly
    Jerry Brown is the best jigging line and the best micro-weave line you will ever pay too much for..forget casting it
    The new Diawa line is reviewed great but have not tried it yet.

Capt Mike

Ygk castman is great braid make sure you get the 8 weave, also some of the varivas line is great also but haven't tried all the different kinds they have. I would look at pe 1.0 1.2 1.5 in those 3 sizes
    Last edited by John81; 01-26-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I'd just like to hold a Stella. $1100.00 is just a tad too rich for me. I'm eating hamburgers while your eating a Kobe beef steak. BTW I'd still put Power Pro on the Stella.
    Which size i can probably help lol. Btw if you payed retail for it you payed too much. You can get stella's shipped from japan atm cheaper than any us stella. A cheaper alternative which is also very nice is the daiwa catalina i have 2 of them and if you shop it right you can get the 4000 size for under $400 and the 5000 size under $500

Hmmm ... I can't imagine putting anything less that 832 in any of my Stellas

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    YIKES!! How many Stella's you got?

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Baller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast