Question: Flat Beach vs Pier Fishing

Thread: Flat Beach vs Pier Fishing

Flat Beach vs Pier Fishing

I always have this question in my mind and have to ask for answer because you guys know better.

We all know flat beach is not very productive for surf fishing since there is no slough, example myrtle beach. But there are number of fishing pier in myrtle beach and good number of fish getting caught from the pier (never done saltwater pier fishing though, fished from the shore).

Questions, are the fishes hang out further from the shore in a flat beach? We (wife and me) fished this year and last year in myrtle beach from shore and even though We caught fish, I have always wondered where is best place to cast in a flat beach?

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Khondker View Post
    I have always wondered where is best place to cast in a flat beach?
    Your feet

Most of the flounder, spottails and speckled trout I catch(and see caught) on the piers in MB are in maybe 6 inches to 3 feet of water. Whiting and black drum like it just as close.
    I always do best surf fishing in MB with just a short lob in the suds with a sand flea or mullet. Anything I sling way out does nothing.

I have always wondered where is best place to cast in a flat beach?
    I agree with RJ. I have always done better fishing closer to shore than slinging the bait out as far as I can.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Thanks a bunch my friends.

Now I know what is the magic word "your feet".

I was wading and casting way out since deeper water is further out. It will not happen again.

Fish relate to something different. That can be structure, hard structure like a pier or rocks, or it could be soft structure like sandbars on the bottom. It can also be the surf zone where all the food is getting beat up and washed around and is an easy meal.

I too have had my best luck in the NMB area just kind of lobbing it out there. I'm convinced those fish are eating the coquinas that are so prevalent there.

So this is what I would do, lob cast into white foamy water if I am fishing in a flat beach, because that is where fishes are feeding. Please, correct me if I am wrong. Wife does not like to fish from the pier, so, I will be fishing from surf.

So this is what I would do, lob cast into white foamy water if I am fishing in a flat beach, because that is where fishes are feeding. Please, correct me if I am wrong. Wife does not like to fish from the pier, so, I will be fishing from surf.
    More or less. On an outgoing tide I like behind the breakers, in front of them during incoming, but fish can be found anywhere in the surf zone. Try everywhere, even right at your feet especially on a steep beach.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothLures View Post
    More or less. On an outgoing tide I like behind the breakers, in front of them during incoming, but fish can be found anywhere in the surf zone. Try everywhere, even right at your feet especially on a steep beach.
    Got it. Things finally making sense to me.

Got it. Things finally making sense to me.
    Most important thing is if things aren't working, do something different. Don't just sit there not catching anything (unless you're enjoying a beer or three and don't care so much about the fish). Different baits, different rigs, different spots on the beach, whatever.

We have plenty of beaches like that here PR. I usually look for the suds, vegetation, usually bait fish swim in and around it so the predators seek them, outgoing tide reveals difference in structure look for those area and don't need to cast a country mile... best of luck!

Found lots of info about fishing in the suds from the link bellow. You guys are great help.

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/8-s...hing-suds.html

Great link Khondker. I was actually googling this last night and found that same thread. Great information. Thanks!

West of " Gurneys Inn Resort " we read the beach and anticipate A bite.
    East we find ideal for tossing artificials for the species we target.

Name:  IMG_0202.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  201.2 KBName:  IMG_0203.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  207.5 KB

All depends...different species have different preferences plus tide phase, water clarity, etc. all play into it. You can make some generalizations though, i.e. pups usually in close in the suds. Here's what I would do on a perfectly flat beach with no structure:

1) find a new beach...J/K
    2) take 2-3 rods with you
    3) one goes in close (suds), one goes out just beyond breakers, and one out far
    4) once you find the fish move all three baits to that location....

I go to mb every Halloween. Stay at the ocean lake campground (south end by the jetty abd state park) . By that time it's off season, prices are cheap and the drum are usually running. Fish that beach every year . I have caught big red drum 30 _40lb every yr. Plus plenty of big toothy creatures off the beach..as well as white fish..they out there.

I was wading and casting way out since deeper water is further out. It will not happen again.
    Here's a thought . . . Wade out, turn around, and cast back toward the beach . . . That way you can catch fish and watch bikini's at the same time !

Quote Originally Posted by IPNURWATER View Post
    I go to mb every Halloween. Stay at the ocean lake campground (south end by the jetty abd state park) . By that time it's off season, prices are cheap and the drum are usually running. Fish that beach every year . I have caught big red drum 30 _40lb every yr. Plus plenty of big toothy creatures off the beach..as well as white fish..they out there.
    We are going to do same thing in coming years. Fishing in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cdave View Post
    Here's a thought . . . Wade out, turn around, and cast back toward the beach . . . That way you can catch fish and watch bikini's at the same time !
    Great idea!

The structure on a flat beach IS the surf line..