Question: Blasted surf weed, Cocoa and Daytona Beaches

Thread: Blasted surf weed, Cocoa and Daytona Beaches

Blasted surf weed, Cocoa and Daytona Beaches

For the last two weeks, first in Cocoa Beach and the last week in Daytona Beach, I've been battling surf weeds tangling up my lines every time I've been out surf fishing. Sometimes it's really bad. Is there a time to avoid this mess? Is there a better time to be here for surf fishing? This is my first time to this area of Florida. I'd like to think it won't be my last. But, I've got to figure this out before I plan a return trip.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

southeastery breezes bring it in...avoid that wind

depends on the wind and surf

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Raymo, helpful when looking at the weather report for near time planning. Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Is there a time of year where this is less of an issue? It seems like it was a continuous issue the entire 2 weeks I've been here.
    HellRhaY, could you be more specific? Are you saying its a problem year round?

It's not just the Southeasterlies that bring it. Any good hard sustained East wind from Bermuda to Africa, and/or tropical activity will send it our way. Any systems that cause a good swell the disrupt the calm in the Sargasso sea, which will cause the sargassum to slip into the Gulfstream. It's even worse when it makes it's way into the Gulfstream, and then gets stuck there, due to almost daily changes in wind direction, looping around until it finds the path of least resistance. I.E., what happens every year, at this time with the changing of the weather patterns...

It's not a problem year round. It's rare in the summer, except during periods of tropical activity. (hurricanes, tropical storms, etc)

Tim, what you are seeing isn't new. If you notice the color, it's turning almost black. When it's a fresh arrival, it's a beige to tan color. This nasty **** has been here for 3 weeks. One day we get a north wind, the next day it's east, then it's southeast. And with the water line as high as it's been, it keeps getting washed from the beach to the surf, and vice versa, whereas normally, it would be deposited onto the beach, and dissolve.

Yep your description seems to fit perfectly with I've been observing. Yeah some turning black. Lots more fresh today. It's yours starting tomorrow. I'll try to get back somewhere in the state next spring. 'Til then I'll be lookin' in.

Would you believe me if I told you that same batch of stuff is STILL hanging around in our surf?

I feel your pain, its been really bad for over a month.....This is year 3 for me surf fishing in the fall/winter here in FL....My first year was great, we had many days of west/north/south winds, the water was clear....Some great fishing...I really though that this was the normal weather pattern...It wasn't...the normal winter pattern is east winds....so the last two years have been fair to bad at the beach...So far, this fall its been almost a complete bust....Even if you could fish the grass, the water is dirty, so its catfish haven...No good.....That would make it very difficult to plan a surf fishing trip...You may get lucky and hit a calm spell, or not.....I'm thinking kayak fishing on the Lagoon now, I would much rather be surf fishing....Lets hope we get a weather shift that hangs around for a few weeks......

There is nothing wrong with the East winds. Those east winds are what keep your target fish's food supply in good order. Most of the commercial fishermen around here swear by a good NE wind. (provided the swell stays to a manageable level) Yes, it's great having a nice west wind, with that wind at your back. But usually, it means a front, and a fairly short session.

Last year was one of the mildest winters on record. Scratch that. Year before that was one of the colder winters. Scratch that. So far, we are off to a pretty normal start, albeit a little annoying with this **** floating around, and not going away. We finally got a break in the big swells, so much of it - not all of it - is finally deposited out of reach. The bad part is, we didn't get a good enough purge, and half of it is on the beach, and half of it has condensed into large mats, which are rotting and producing a funky orange foam on the surface.

Really?....are you talking surf fishing?.....you can fish the first day of a strong east wind, by the second day your fighting the grass....North winds, mild east winds and shifting light winds are ok...We've been battered with day after day of strong winds out of the east, last winter many days were the same....Dirty water from the winds is just as bad as grass.....looks like we get a break , maybe, the next few days....

Yes, talking surf fishing.

East winds do not, in and of themselves, produce the influx of sargassum that we are currently dealing with. That stuff take days or weeks to show up, so it isn't as if a day or two of strong east winds is going to produce a trash swamp.

Strong east winds definitely make the water murky, but that's when you go catch some bluefish, redfish, or black drum.

I think we're only going to get one more day of calm. Just about the time the water settled out, it's due for another ratcheting...

went out yesterday, loaded up with 7 rods, no weeds, dirty water, sharks and cats....the smart guys came down to check on us and went home....Ok, on the east winds and weeds....the grass floats on the surface, so the winds have the effect of driving the rafts toward shore. I'm not saying that a day or two of mild east winds will do it, but a week will...That's been our experience here....

That stuff travels over a hundred miles. It comes from inside the Atlantic currents. There's a lot more to it than just the wind blowing from the east.

When there is a storm system in the Atlantic, it's a guarantee that you're gonna get that junk. Sometimes, it comes from weather that you never really hear about here. (pushed into the Atlantic Current by swells) With the changing winds at this time of year, it can sometimes hang around, and then show up quite unexpectedly. But this time around it was an easy one. We had ferocious and changing E/N/NE/SE winds over the course of about 10 days.

Its gone right now but stronger winds later this week, so they say