Question: Any Tips on surf fishing

Thread: Any Tips on surf fishing

Any Tips on surf fishing

Hi, i am heading down to Huntington Beach, State park November 7th for my 26th birthday with my Girlfriend and a bud. Since money is tight we will be roughing it. Camping and surf fishing. I am not a beginner at all and have had some success when i was young fishing with my grandfather. I'm looking for advise on bait, rigs, and spots around there. I'm definitely going to fish the south point of Pawleys. And Does anyone know if i can still catch fiddler crab that time of year. Any ways thanks in advance

Also if anyone would like to join for a littler fishing

2. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the family

Take a cast net with you and try to get some fresh mullet. Use them whole on a carolina rig or cut into chunks about the size of a quarter or 50 cent piece on a two hook rig. Something I think a lot o f people over look when fishing with shrimp is to not use a whole shrimp. Use a piece about the size of your thumbnail and peel them. If you're using multiple rods, varry your casting distance. Keep one in close, one in the middle of the trough, and one close to the inside or outside of the sandbars.
    Scout the beach at low tide. Look for features like a low spot in the sand bar that creates a run out, or a spot where the bar runs closer or turns away from the beach.
    And one final bit of advise, if you are using the 2 hook dropper rigs, buy the ones made out of monofilament line and stay away from the ones made out of wire leader and metal snap swivels to attach your hooks. I also take off the factory hooks and put on owner circle hooks in size 1 or 1/0. Try replacing the beads on those rigs too and experiment with different colors. Green and yellow work well for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PierAndSurf.com
    Advertisements

Hi Jackson! I've done most of my surf time @ Huntington. I like going to that particular park, but there isn't any real deep water close to shore. You'll see how much sand is exposed during low tide and how high tide almost reaches the dunes. Not much elevation change and shallow troughs. Lot's of people make the 1.5 mile trek to the jetty, but I haven't as yet. Too many late afternoon starts. I still love it there and have caught whiting, spot, pompano, and blues.

I am a rookie and started surf fishing in mid September. I tried the jetty and lost some tackle on the rocks, I also ripped a hole in my net trying to catch some mullet. I did catch a couple pin fish on shrimp. I decided to stick to the beach the past few weeks and all I caught so far was a flounder. I will try the suggestions posted on this site and hope to get better at this. I am open to any suggestions offered.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan1 View Post
    Take a cast net with you and try to get some fresh mullet. Use them whole on a carolina rig or cut into chunks about the size of a quarter or 50 cent piece on a two hook rig. Something I think a lot o f people over look when fishing with shrimp is to not use a whole shrimp. Use a piece about the size of your thumbnail and peel them. If you're using multiple rods, varry your casting distance. Keep one in close, one in the middle of the trough, and one close to the inside or outside of the sandbars.
    Scout the beach at low tide. Look for features like a low spot in the sand bar that creates a run out, or a spot where the bar runs closer or turns away from the beach.
    And one final bit of advise, if you are using the 2 hook dropper rigs, buy the ones made out of monofilament line and stay away from the ones made out of wire leader and metal snap swivels to attach your hooks. I also take off the factory hooks and put on owner circle hooks in size 1 or 1/0. Try replacing the beads on those rigs too and experiment with different colors. Green and yellow work well for me.
    I really appreciate all the advice. So when i use the monofilament rigs(I'm looking at making my own) Do the beads really help out?
    l

beads sometimes help and sometimes dont, I usually will try beads first then no beads I then sometimes will add a fishbite on the hook with beads without beads, I just try everything.. However I have noticed that if the fish are biting they will hit everything lol, also yes tie your own rigs and use fluro, I dont use anything else

All this talk about fishing got me excited, so I went to Huntington from 4:30 until sunset, which also was low tide. Saw tons of mullet when I was setting up, but by the time I grabbed the cast net and waded in (Man! That water is getting cold, but tolerable.) they mostly vanished. Nothing touched the one I cut and baited, but I got 3 whiting in the 7-8" range on bloodworms. I think the cold snap slowed things a bit. Should be back in the 70s by Mon. or Tues. (NOAA site shows 39 degrees in Myrtle @ 00:30 Sat.) I caught something and the sun was shining. Good day in my book. May try a pier this weekend. Got some fat bloodworms left.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonTclark View Post
    I really appreciate all the advice. So when i use the monofilament rigs(I'm looking at making my own) Do the beads really help out?
    l
    I've never fished without beads and I usually do well, but to surfmoms point, if they're hungry, they'll eat. But the mono/floro rigs are a must IMO. Many days I'll outfish people on the beach and the biggest difference I notice is they're using rigs with steel leaders and huge pieces of bait. I was just reading a report from a forum in Florida where a guy was fishing the surf his g a thumbnail size of peeled shrimp and fought a big red for about 5 minutes..... until it was bitten in half by a shark. That red was easily over 30".

I did catch a couple pin fish on shrimp.
    Fillet the sides and belly out of those pinfish and you have some of the best redfish, speckled trout, and flounder bait you can get, especially if the finger mullet have moved on.

Best advice I could give you without typing an essay or referring you to the Bible section........is to stop in Garden City Bait & Tackle(on the right going south) and Perry's (on the left)in Murrell's Inlet.....both on business 17. Both have the best rigs......both have fresh bait.....and both will give you excellent advice. They depend on repeat customers.