Pier and Surf Forum banner

Sandy Point poachers

Boating Report 
7K views 53 replies 30 participants last post by  zam 
#1 ·
From the Baltimore Sun:

NRP seizes more than 200 undersize bass

A Silver Spring man is scheduled to appear in Annapolis District Court on Nov. 15 on charges that he and three companions caught more than 200 undersized striped bass. Natural Resources Police Officer Jeff Beshore was on patrol at Sandy Point State Park on Aug. 31 at 1:30 a.m., when he stopped a boat returning to the marina. After receiving permission to check the coolers aboard the 14-foot recreational vessel, Beshore found 228 striped bass under the legal minimum of 18 inches. The officer also found about 30 pounds of white perch in the coolers. No one on the vessel had a fishing license. Hervino Nunez-Aleman, the owner and operator of the boat, was cited for possession of undersize striped bass.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/c...#ixzz2eFrTTd53

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Good thing these creeps were caught, I'll bet my tackle box this aint there first trip out doing this and now with a heafty fine these jokers will pay lets hope they learn. DNR can also consificate all fishing gear, tackle and the boat if they so choose just like a hunting violation, but a hunter can loose his liscense for life , not sure I know of a fisherman loosing the same rights but that would be warrented in this case. 228 undersized fish in 1 night along, holly freaking cow!!
DNR 1, sleezy fisherpeople=0

#12 ·
let me say that the fine can't be enough. Seems to me that the only reason anyone would keep 200+ fish is if there's a profit involved, like selling them somewhere. And in my mind, if you are poaching for profit, the fine should be in the tens of thousands..............

The link didn't work for me so I'll bite my tounge regarding some of the above posts, because I'm not fully informed..................

#13 ·
Never thought of that, poaching for profit. That may be the reason why a person would keep so much fish. Otherwise it makes no sense. If profit was the motivation, then the guy really should be heftily fined and then banned for some length of time. Recreational fishing is no different from any other sports, when rules are violated there must be consequences.

This reminds me of some fish that I saw at some of the Asian grocery stores. They were clearly undersized and yet they were clearly on public display for sale. How do they get by the size rules. The rockfish they sell are no more than 15 inches.

About the poacher got caught, let's not forget to thank the dnr ranger. It was 1:30 am in the morning and he was out doing his job.

#21 ·
Well your rite windrift, but I fish alot and I see a lot of those guys keeping alot of fish that r not legal so I understand the comments. I watch some the most illegal things go on at kent narrows in regards to striped bass. It made me so mad I went and applied for the DNR police, have u been to kent narrows lately I think there gonna stop fishing there all together in a while. Now that they have closed 1 side u should see the trash and debris thats is left on the side that remains open. No care at all for surroundings or other fisherman sad but true

#23 ·
No it seems like he meant it that way. Which is Sad. He doesn't understand how his very limited view cannot account for everything that occurs, and apparently because he "observes" something it gives him the right to make offensive comments. I'll never understand where the connection is. Your observations never equal absolute truth, outside the laboratory or a vacuum. Science 101.

#30 ·
Lordy, lordy, lordy,,,, I knew the second I read the story and saw the guys name there might be trouble, thanks for not letting me down :mad: even I know ya just cant fix everyone, cause some look at the world threw poop colored glasses.

I wish the guys name had been Bill Leroy Ping Juan Goldstien and made everyone cornfused :eek:

Now most know the TOS rules on P&S but for those who don't just a loven tap to the back of the head, No personal or racial attacks on any one or group of people. If you see someone breaking the law CALL the fishy cops.

As dear ol grandpaw use to say "Don't look up at your family tree till ya check the deep roots, ya might be surprised what ya find"

#35 ·
Bill Leroy Ping Juan Goldstein has to be the funniest made up poacher name ever.

They will be issued huge fines. The newspaper will report on the stiff punishment and the DNR's hardline stance on poaching, then he will plead guilty for a lesser fine and loss of priveleges for a couple years. Next spring, he will get a new boat, change fishing spots and keep 300 short stripers a week all summer next summer. Hope I am wrong. . .

#36 · (Edited)
You're not wrong.

But... Shooter left out "Geronimo" :D

EDIT: Oh, I see the thread has been cleaned up. Took a while this time. ;)

DOUBLE SUPER MEGA EDIT: Wait... my posts are gone, but the replies to them and quotes of them remain? Oh hells no. Either delete it or leave it, but don't halfass it and let everyone who reads this be confused from here to eternity. SHOOTER, get it together man.

#38 ·
HA. It wasn't Scooter this time. It was me. I think Tuesday is his "breakdancing at the senior center in polyester" day, but I'm sure he'll check in later. HAHA Yeah, it took a while. Hopefully, since your post is fully quoted, nobody will be confused. There was nothing at all wrong with that post, but you know it was on like Page 4 and I was having to do it one page at a time and I was sort of using the Zap button and was getting kind of tired of using it and more or less (apparently) zapped a few in the crossfire. Call it halfa$$ery if you will, but a bunch of posts needed dumping. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.