Heading to the coast this weekend.. [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Heading to the coast this weekend..

Jester86
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Hey guys,
We're thinking about heading down to the North End to camp out Friday and Saturday nights. Is it fairly safe to say that fishing from the surf would be a waste of time? I am planning to bring my kayak but I'm not sure where would be worth trying to fish. I could either put in at Snow's Cut and fish the ICW, paddle out the inlet and try fishing beyond the breakers, or I could drive down to Fort Fisher and put in down at the basin... or float down the ICW to the basin. I've got a Hobie Adventure Island so it should be able to take the abuse of going through the breakers.. just don't know if I'd want to do a normal surf entry - I figure putting in on the back side of the cut and coming out the inlet would be safest? If anyone has thoughts on the entry method or where to fish feel free to let me know. I have the yak completely outfitted and have a 6watt radio so I feel fairly comfortable going a ways out.

speckhunter80
03-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Creeks and marshes off the ICW or Cape Fear will be much better choices for finding specks and drum. Even better choice would be some of the creeks off the New River near SF

Jester86
03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Do you think coastal fishing will get better in the next week or two? Perhaps I should try to delay the trip.. though once the bite is on we'll probably be down there very other weekend.

Loner
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
....pretty dead and Uncomfortable out there right now.....