Question: oceanana pier [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Question: oceanana pier

jeff18
02-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Was thinking about trying it out and the hotel as well.Just wandering if anyone has had experience there hotel or pier.Looks alright from pictures just lookin for info have small child and playground looks like entertainment.thanks in advance.:beer::fishing::beer:

yerbyray
02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
My family ( two adults and one 5 year old girl) stayed in Atlantic Beach in September. We didn't stay at the Oceanana but at the Caribbe Inn about a quarter mile away. I fished at the pier in the morning and in the evening and they paid a small fee to play on the playground and have beach access around the Oceanana.
They had a good time playing and enjoying the beach.
As for fishing I was there right after they finished building and repairing the pier and during a huge mullet run. The pro's is that the pier is very inexpensive. The con's was that the "t" of the pier they have made into a gazebo that is difficult to fish around and the lack of decent lighting on the pier.
I fished the pier four times in the last year and had a good time but never really caught anything outstanding but I am not an outstanding fisherman. I enjoy the beer as much as the bite.

DaBig2na
02-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Pier ain't that great! If you are going to the Atlantic Beach area fish Bogue Inlet Pier
It's on the opposite end of the island.

roostertail
02-13-2013, 12:28 AM
I fished Bogue inlet one day last fall at the peak fishing season and I will never pier fish again unless I get in an accident and am in a wheelchair. If you like big crowds and secondhand smoke along with lots of noise than its probably your thing. But yeah I would say Bogue pier management definately cares more about fishing than Oceana.

jeff18
02-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Thanks alot for the replies not sure if going to go or not wanting to try somewhere different.Usually fish grangstrand because of distance from charlotte.I always check bogues fishing reports and they seem to do well on it.I like the idea of hotel next to pier for convince.Does oceana sell or allow beer on it have read some nc piers dont allow to me it kinda goes with fishin.I know just ready to get out there and do some fishin. Thanks again. Jeff

yerbyray
02-13-2013, 08:58 AM
oceanana sells beer

DavB
02-13-2013, 09:20 AM
The hotel is only so-so. Old, dingy, looked for bugs but didn't see any sort of thing. Pier gets the same rating, the gaint gazebo on the end is supposidly for a tiki bar! - Hope he can't get the permit for that. Drunks and hooks are not a good match IMHO. Fish-wise I have never hit the nail on the head the 3 times I have been there but things have been good enough for me to want to try again. The near shore fishing looked pretty good right after the storm that wrecked the end, maybe less so after the beach replentishment project last year. I have liked the mostly low key fishing crowd there. They do not allow king or shark fishing, which is fine by me, a plugger at heart. If the tiki bar closes the end for plugging, I am done with the place. I will call ahead and ask. Good food at the pier grill.

Might try a Captian Stacy's trip from the dock on the causeway. Make an advance reservation though.