Question: beaches to fish from 4x4 along louisiana coast [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Question: beaches to fish from 4x4 along louisiana coast

stevefretz
04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Disabled vet, former Marine, fished Hatteras and Eastern Shore for 40 yrs but have moved to Tn. Looking for information on beaches I can drive my old Bronco to fish. I live near Memphis so I am closest to New Orleans. Quiet places, non drinker etc. My wife of 39 years loves her horse more than me so I am free to fish. Thanks

plotalot
04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
The only place that I'm aware of in Louisiana that you can drive on the beach is Elmer's Island. It is open during daylight hours Friday through Sunday, but I don't know if it is open to the public again or not. I was in the area last May and it was closed due to the BP oil spill. The Army Corp of Engineers was busy blocking off a pass to keep oil from getting behind the island to the marsh. The scenes you may have seen of helicopters airlifting sandbags on the news last spring was from that effort. Other than there leave the 4x4 up in the Delta and drive down in a gas sipper and head toward Grande Isle. You can park at public access areas and it is a short walk to the beach where most of the beach fishing is wade fishing for specks in the Spring and Summer. The bridge pier going across to GI has lights on it and is awesome at night for trout. If you've really have to drive on the beach to make your trip complete, the closet guaranteed thing might be Texas. I say might since they have been reeling from successive hurricanes. Here is a link to the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries site, with the Elmer's Island page opened.http://media.wlf.state.la.us/experience/wmas/refuges/elmersisland.cfm