Destinfishin [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Destinfishin

Destinfishin
03-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I have been trying for the last 4 weeks for pompano. This week i will be fishing every morning from 6:30 to 9:30 no sucess as of yet. No fleas at pompano joes destin just small rolling around in the surf to small for fishing. beautiful mornings though looking forward to sat & sunday with my friend steve great company just need the fish:):):):beer:

Fishwander
03-17-2011, 10:50 AM
This post would get more responses on the Gulf forum located below.

Use the search function at the top tof the page for answers to pompano questions.
Best bet is an incomming tide , with moderate current as the pomps are rooting arround for sandfleas and small crustacians.
Also , they prefer clear , clean water as they feed visually, as well as with scent. If the water is roiled ,fish for another species.

As an acquaintance of mine says: "Any day at the beach certainly beats being at work " Enjoy !
Even better yet is to be able to share it with someone else !

Fishwander

SmoothLures
03-17-2011, 11:44 AM
The whole no fleas thing might be your problem...move til ya find some and if the conditions are right the pomps should be there. I know guys also love fresh clam strips down in Fl.

solid7
03-17-2011, 12:10 PM
The whole no fleas thing might be your problem...move til ya find some and if the conditions are right the pomps should be there. I know guys also love fresh clam strips down in Fl.

I prefer salted clams to fresh, but everyone seems to have different results. (just count them all as options)

Sometimes the absence of fleas isn't a problem at all. We have caught pompano on clams some days when we couldn't get them to touch a flea. But pompano don't always sit still, and some days, we humans forget to remind them when they are, and aren't supposed to bite. :)

Fish the pompano whenever the surf is 'pompano friendly', and toss the rest of the conventional wisdom. If you aren't a commercial fisherman, you won't know the difference, anyway. More likely than not, you are going to have a good day when you bring home 2 or 3 nice ones. Limiting out happens when you are in the right place, at the right time - which most of us with day jobs aren't going to be, it seems. :D

plotalot
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
When fleas are scarce go buy some shrimp and boil them lightly or brine them to toughen them up. The extra effort beforehand will pay dividends in not having to rebait constantly.
Have you fished the jetties yet? The east jetty is harder to access, but is usually a great spot for pomps this time of year. For something different you can also hit the pier just west of there Okaloosa Island Pier, and fish with 4-10# line with a 15# fluoro leader and a 3/8 to 3/4 pompano jig. Some of the local pomp guys take offense to bait set out in "their" jigging hole, so go with the flow and learn a new technique. You can get jigs at the pier shack for a reasonable price. Tipping your pomp jigs with shrimp or small fleas is worth the effort at times.

Stubee
03-22-2011, 09:20 AM
New here, joined last night to learn more about surf fishing/gear. Anyway, caught a pompano on SGI in surf yesterday on a fresh dead shrimp & could see others near the break by shore. Near end of high tide + water had cleared. Couldn't catch any sand fleas but new at it, probably lack of technique on my part. Had a couple of other takes I missed. This was my first pompano--never been here in March before--and first one I've heard of here.

I know they were getting 'em in Gulf Shores two weeks ago so if starting here, should be in Destin area? Good luck.