Capt Stacy - 9/24 and 9/25 [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Capt Stacy - 9/24 and 9/25

30ManStan
09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Headed to NC and the Capt Stacy for 2 full days on the reef. Day one went well, 26 passengers and we landed many grouper. I say 16 grouper died that day, we caught a boat limit of beeliners, a few triggers, and lots of the usual other suspects - grunts, porgies, sea bass, etc. No silver snappers. Day two was a different story, beautiful weather greeted a boat load of customers. We had over 70 people on board and the weather was not rough enough to get anywhere near enough of them off the rail. I did manage a grouper and the quality of the fish I caught was much better, but the numbers were just not there. I got the beeliner limit and 2 of the 3 silver snappers I needed. I got the other suspects too that day. We fished over areas loaded with fish, but too many of them were bait stealing french grunts 5-7 inches long. Needless to say, I was disappointed with the second day. Overall, the trip was great, why they feel the need to stack the boat like that is beyond me.

The other thing that bother me is how the Saturday customers blatantly ignored size and creel limits on fish. I understand the captain and mates do not want any trouble with a customer off shore, but I think when you're over your limit, that has got to be all she wrote. If the NC DNR police would sit on the dock on a Saturday and wait for that boat to return, they could write tickets for the rest of the evening.

Stan

Smally
10-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself, although based on what you said was caught it really doesn't sound so bad. 26 passengers, 16 grouper. To me that sounds nice. Anyhow, I've never been on the Capt. Stacy. I have heard mixed reports about the boat. As for me, I've been on the Carolina Princess a number of times & I have always enjoyed myself on there. Capt. Gould does a great job IMO & Teresa that runs the galley is just awesome, but I wouldn't wanna get on her badside :)

Maybe you could give the Princess a try next time you're down. Here's a pic of a catch my brother & I made on a day trip.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/sodium804/CarolinaPrincesstrip2007.jpg

Ryan Y
10-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Nice. Im still surprised at the grouper limits and the American Red closure.

RuddeDogg
10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Nice haul. Congrats.

hengstthomas
10-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself, although based on what you said was caught it really doesn't sound so bad. 26 passengers, 16 grouper. To me that sounds nice. Anyhow, I've never been on the Capt. Stacy. I have heard mixed reports about the boat. As for me, I've been on the Carolina Princess a number of times & I have always enjoyed myself on there. Capt. Gould does a great job IMO & Teresa that runs the galley is just awesome, but I wouldn't wanna get on her badside :)

Maybe you could give the Princess a try next time you're down. Here's a pic of a catch my brother & I made on a day trip.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/sodium804/CarolinaPrincesstrip2007.jpg

Without that Lobster you really dont have much for a 2 man bag which is what I always have seen or had on the Princess .. Great people but they just never put you on the fish .. IMO

Capt Stacy is the way to go .. You should give them a try ;)

hengstthomas
10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the report Stan !

Ryan Y
10-01-2010, 01:09 PM
...The other thing that bother me is how the Saturday customers blatantly ignored size and creel limits on fish. I understand the captain and mates do not want any trouble with a customer off shore, but I think when you're over your limit, that has got to be all she wrote. If the NC DNR police would sit on the dock on a Saturday and wait for that boat to return, they could write tickets for the rest of the evening.

Stan

I'd be curious about that. Those boats have to abide by the same laws and restrictions as we do. The boat has a blanket license and that could be retricted or revoked for not abiding by the laws. I would find it hard to believe that a Captain would allow this to take place.
The size and creel limits most definately apply here per the person fishing too.

TimKan7719
10-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Haveing Fished On The Capt Stacy On the over night trip I have to say I enjoyed the fish that we were put on we caught tons of fish. But I had some peroblems with the mates as well as when we got on the boat the mates had taken rod holders in the back of the boat for them selfs. Many of the mates were speaking badly of passengers to other passengers. Calling them names and such. I did enjoy the fishing didnt enjoy the mates. Oh and most of the grouper caught on the trip I was on were by the mates who then sold the fish to guys on the trip. The mates had caught way over their limmit of grouper as well. Capt Stacy will put you on some fish I dont doubt but the services were not worth me going on another trip.
Tight Lines,
Tim

drumchaser
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Nice lobster an reports

Ryan Y
10-01-2010, 09:45 PM
If that's the case, It's sad. I know six pack boats will include the Captain and the mate in on the limit, the law allows that. But even those big boats should be good stewards of the sea.
I for one would not allow there shenanigans on my boat. The mates represent the Captain and his business. They are the people who can make or break a great charter. Sorry you guys had a bad trip. Check out the winner boats out of CB next time.

hengstthomas
10-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Check out the winner boats out of CB next time.
Would you happen to have a link ? I'd certainly appreciate it .