Surf Report: last sunday and this morning [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Surf Report: last sunday and this morning

NYC Fishless
09-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Finally this year had a chance to get out. Here are a couple shots from fish I took not far from NYC last Sunday afternoon 5-7 and this AM 5-8 (last pic). All caught on swim shad 7" except one guy caught on a bucktail. 25" - 30" or so. All caught casting parallel to jetty. All fish released>

https://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/picture.php?albumid=639&pictureid=2572

https://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/picture.php?albumid=639&pictureid=2573

https://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/picture.php?albumid=639&pictureid=2574

https://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/picture.php?albumid=639&pictureid=2575

https://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/picture.php?albumid=639&pictureid=2576

ketch69
09-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Nice fish. That sure is purdy reel that you have laying in the sand.

Dean

Thrifty Angler
09-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Nice fish. That sure is purdy reel that you have laying in the sand.

Dean

I was thinking exactly the same.:eek:
Well, I might have changed the "is" to a "was". :rolleyes: It probably took longer to clean the reel than the fish after that trip.

Nice fish.:cool:

NYC Fishless
09-27-2010, 11:02 PM
I just dunk it in the surf wash to clean :cool: But seriously, the reel is built to block out sand...you can essentially submerge it fully and its still works like a charm, which is why its pretty popular among surf guys. I never put my other reels on sand...only this bad boy.

Went out Sunday afternoon/night as well...water was pretty weedy so switched to a surface lure. Threw on the Afterhours needle 2 1/2 oz burple..twitch twitch and this guy exploded on it ~30 inches. Missed another and lost a few others on a popper and ss bullet.

https://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/picture.php?albumid=640&pictureid=2582

P.S. i'll lay the rod on a rock next time...seems to scare most of the guys on the board!

RuddeDogg
09-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Nice work congrats.

m30power
09-28-2010, 11:07 AM
I have the same reel only the lefty version. Takes alot of stress out of the fishing experience to not have to worry about dunking it or laying it down wherever you are.

I once fully buried the reel in sand to see what it can take. Just walk to the water edge, submerge it, and give it 5-6 good cranks under water and its smooth as ever and ready to go. Quick rinse after the trip in fresh water and ive never had a problem with it.

Nice fish man!

redgrappler
09-28-2010, 03:10 PM
What's the name of that reel?

NYC Fishless
09-28-2010, 05:21 PM
its a van staal 250

ORF Pete
09-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Very nice. I can't wait for Striper season here in VA. :)

NYC Fishless
09-28-2010, 08:06 PM
m30power - yeah love the reel as well. I've had it for a while and never has given me issues and I beat it up pretty hard. Big fan of bailless as well....line shoots off without any issues and never have to worry about bail flipping over.

Thrifty Angler
09-28-2010, 09:49 PM
its a van staal 250

Wow! :eek: I guess now is the best time to buy one...before gold prices go any higher. :eek:

keef
10-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Really splendid fish there! Well done .

Here in Britain we have an almost identical species;Dicentrarchus labrax Which I target for most of my summer/autumn fishing... If they were given the protection that the striped bass was given, they would grow to the same size, yet here in Britain the record is 20lb ... I live on the northerly edge of their range and the fish run to about 8lb, though i have a personal best of only 4lb 5oz. The government does nothing to protect stocks of fish here though, and there are no bag limits and HUGE catch quotas for the commercial fleet.

Enough of my rant......

Well done again on such powerful looking, prime striped bass !!

Cheers

Keith

Fresh/Saltmaniac
10-07-2010, 12:13 AM
What reel is that? Looks high-end.

chefish
10-10-2010, 07:52 AM
it is very high end. You do get the highest quality as well with it.

Smittroc
10-10-2010, 03:04 PM
nice fish! nice reel too..

there_in_there
10-15-2010, 07:27 AM
it is very high end. You do get the highest quality as well with it.

I dont care how high end a damn reel is it cant be worth 850 -1000 bucks unless it is a deep sea reel whit clutches, dual speed and all that stuff. That is crazy to spend that kind of money on a reel. Im not hating just thank a 2 or 300 dollar spinning reel would do the same thing. Well I guess if you need biling on the beach to prove something........Guess it is like a high end rolex when a citizen will do the exact same thing. Still have no idea how you do it .
Not trying to be disrespectful at all I just cant see how it helps .
Dave

m30power
10-15-2010, 06:22 PM
I dont care how high end a damn reel is it cant be worth 850 -1000 bucks unless it is a deep sea reel whit clutches, dual speed and all that stuff. That is crazy to spend that kind of money on a reel. Im not hating just thank a 2 or 300 dollar spinning reel would do the same thing. Well I guess if you need biling on the beach to prove something........Guess it is like a high end rolex when a citizen will do the exact same thing. Still have no idea how you do it .
Dave

Buying a van staal has nothing to do with "bling". Yes it is a good looking reel, but it is extremely worth the price. You dont buy a van staal for a couple of seasons on the beach like most newer reels...you buy a van staal because it is going to last longer then you will with worry free fishing.

High quality has its cost. This is an EXTREMELY reliable reel. Its internals have a very simple design...therefore there is less that can go wrong. It is made out of very high quality components: strong machined gears, machined aluminum frame, and it also has an incredible sealed drag. Its also A LOT lighter then most of the spinning reels in its size class. The best part about a van staal is that it is completely sealed. what this means is that no sand or water can get inside to the internals of the reel and bind them up.

If the spool or drag gets binded by sand all I need to do is walk up, dip it in the water and give the reel 3-4 quick cranks under the water and im good to go. For the type of fishing that I do this was the best investment ive ever made. I throw artificials every night on the beach. I am constantly in the water in my wetsuit or waders. I wade out to bars with the reel completely submerged and battle fish with the reel underwater. It pays to have a reliable reel that you never have to worry about. I used to go through 1-2 $220 spinning reels a year before I had the VS. I havent even mentioned the lifetime warranty that comes with them.

They arent for everyone. If all you do is throw bait and your reel never gets splashed or layed around sand then you most definitely do not need one. Havent you ever dropped a normal spin reel in the water or sand and picked it up to find out that your spool or drag is bound? Ive had my VS for 7 years. I fish almost every night for big striped bass. The reel has never let me down. I have never once had to leave early or find a new reel because of a problem with it.

I could ask the same questions you are about other applications...why would someone spend $1300 on a Shimano Stella and $500 on a 5 foot custom tuna jigging stick? They do it because thats what they need for that kind of fishing. They NEED 40+ lbs of drag to fight a 200+ lb bluefin tuna. Similarly, I need a sealed reliable reel that gives me confidence.

If you dont have problems with your current reels, then dont change them. I just got tired of taking my reels apart, cleaning, greasing, and re-oiling them after every other trip to the surf. I had alot of trips ruined because of sand binded reels. Dont bash something just because it has a high price tag, the reel was meant for a specific application and it is the best tool available for the job (other then a Zeebaas).

m30power
10-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Dave

I would personally love to know what $200 spinning reel will do what I need it to. Just for the fact that I would love to own it. And I would love an in person presentation from you showing me that it works just as well.

and FYI Van Staal prices right now are around $699-750....not 850-1000

Smittroc
10-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Again, very nice reel and I do believe that you get what you pay for. I don't think that this company will charge that amount of money and not back it up. My question is if eitherof you, M30Power or Fishless has the no bail version or if they all are no bail and how is that working for you? I was wanting to try one of those reels but I couldn't understand the logic of the no bail even after reading the article about it.

NYC Fishless
10-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I have the bailess version. Its pretty easy to get used to and you never have the issue of having the bail flip over when casting and losing your lure. Here is a video on how to cast with the bailess version. They also came out with a model which has a bail as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhyuTVvT1Kc

Smittroc
10-25-2010, 09:54 AM
thanks. I may have to go and play with one of those. i'm thinking bass pro should carry thse...right??

m30power
10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I have the one without a bail as well. Im not sure is basspro has them or not.

mud
10-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Dave

You can tell by this guys typing that he has not done his home work nor will ever understand the ergonomics (sp) of these types of reels. I really wish the uninformed would do just a little bit of research before throwing there opinion out there making themselves look and sound so bad. In certain situations yes the military could get by with a 50 caliber strapped to the top of a hummer but sometimes you just need a tank!!! This reel shouldnt need to be explained as just looking at it tells a complete story. This is a reel that will be passed down for generations to come and therefor worth every penny paid. I would like to see a 200 dollar reel that you can dunk in the wash and keep fishing with it for years and besides by the time you have bought 2 or 3 of these nonexistant reels you could have had the "tank". Sorry just had to chime in with my 02. And moe no need to explain as we see the angle your comming from!!

croaker
10-29-2010, 10:00 AM
thanks. I may have to go and play with one of those. i'm thinking bass pro should carry thse...right??

to try Stripers Online first. I had a VS250, was not using it and sold it there last year. You can probably save some$$$$. Always get the serial number from the seller and check it with Van Stall. That will give you the year made and features and maintenance done on the reel. Just my .02

smacks fanatic
10-29-2010, 10:31 AM
I would personally love to know what $200 spinning reel will do what I need it to. Just for the fact that I would love to own it. And I would love an in person presentation from you showing me that it works just as well.

and FYI Van Staal prices right now are around $699-750....not 850-1000

well for like 50 bucks you can get a diawa sweepfire 3500 which is pretty good. or the shimano stradic 8000 which is like 200$

m30power
11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
well for like 50 bucks you can get a diawa sweepfire 3500 which is pretty good. or the shimano stradic 8000 which is like 200$

the shimano stradic is a great reel. I have a 2500 sized one on my fluking rod. They have a great drag. I do not like it for beach fishing purposes. Try dunking it or wading in chest deep water with it. Not a good idea haha!