gray gables beach cape cod [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : gray gables beach cape cod

dockmaster
08-03-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm gonna be staying in Bourne, MA near Gray Gables beach from 8/16-8/21.
Any tips on fishing the beach or the canal? I'm from Maryland and its gonna be my first time in the New England area and was wondering if I could get any pointers for blues and stripers. Thanks.

Fishwander
08-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Go to "Red Top" bait and tackle in Bourne. They will give you an honest status report and "straight poop", and they will tell you who is catching on what lure. It is a local haunt, and brings out many of the best fishermen in the area, many of whom specialize in the canal and its fishing locations . Even some local legends have been known to avoid the canal and prefer to fish the open beaches and ponds in the area.

For additional informatin check out "The Big River" which goes for 11 pages at :

http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533614
Frank Daignault ( Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster ; Posts: 19,201 ) admits even after having 5 books written about Striper Fishing :
"There is so much to be learned about the Canal and I know myself well enough to confess that I don't really know it -- not at the level that I think is needed to qualify as a regular or expert. When you move a quarter mile, or fish a different tide, everything is changed and what you think you learned goes out the window. It is a classic example of the interrelationship of conditions. Sure, I have a couple of aces but I don't feel that I have conquered the place. "

The canal represents an unusual opportunity , and requires special abilities. At one end , you have Buzzard's Bay ; at the other end , you have Cape Cod Bay. The current really can crank there, and the deeper you fish , the bigger the fish; but the canal is lined with rocks that will eat lines and lures.

Fishwander

dockmaster
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
dude thanks i really appreciate it

Fishwander
08-03-2010, 03:19 PM
dockmaster

I failed to mention that the current there varies so greatly, and can become a "rip" in just a very short time, depending on the tides. As a result , there is no kayak fishing in the canal , itself ; however , you can fish either bay where the canal dumps .

If not fishing the canal itself , I lean towards fishing the Buzzard's Bay end , myself . Also , there are a number of flats where you can wade fish on the Buzzard end . But then again , you are playing with some mighty tides , rips , and currents. It is said that as many stripers and blues run the canal as those that run up the inshore of Cape Cod peninnsula while on migration .

Fishwander

Ralph
08-06-2010, 09:25 AM
i can't recall the exact name of the town, but if you drive to e. falmouth i believe FBT is located in the neighboring town. its worth the drive. the guys there have always been good to me.