Gear: MY New 17 HMR [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Gear: MY New 17 HMR

zztopsail
11-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Just got my new Savage 17HMR with the scope, bull barrel, wooden stock from Buds Gun Shop.

Once I got the scope sighted in, I am now putting shots in a 2 inch circle from about 20 yards in my back yard. Gonna take it out to the range soon(once fall surf fishing is over:D) and go for 50 and then 100 yards.

But let me tell you one thing, that Hornady 17 HMR Varmit round is one mean mutha. I hit a can of evaporated milk from 20 yards dead center and that can totally blew apart sending milk everywhere. The can totally spit wide open and I mean damn near flat and the top and bottom of the can were imploded outward.

Would not want to be on the receiving side of that round anywhere near one of my vitals. I believe you could take down a small doe with a clean head shot with it.

Click here for the Savage 17 HMR I bought. (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24147)

WV Cobbmullet
11-19-2009, 10:50 PM
ZZ it will shoot alot better than that and will guarantee it will work wounders on deer head or neck. Ive squirrel hunted with mine but its got to be a headshot,great little varmit gun out 150 yds.

SmoothLures
11-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Love mine! Great little round. Not legal to shoot deer with rimfires here but have heard of people doing so anyway. :rolleyes:

bullisland
11-20-2009, 07:58 AM
nice gun there! congrats on the purchase!

kingfisherman23
11-20-2009, 10:12 AM
The 93R17 is a great little gun. You can definitely get it to lock down tighter than 2", but you may have to try out ome different ammo. The actions on the Savage rifles tend to form love affairs with a certain type of load and refuse to shoot anything else.

For 17HMR, I really like the Hornady V-Max ballistic tips, but shoot several types until you find what works best for you. the 17 is a terrific round for anything from squirrels and crows up to coyotes and groundhogs. Be careful about deer, I know you can't use a rimfire to hunt them in NC.

And remember, no :beer: until after you're done shooting! :D

Evan

zztopsail
11-20-2009, 10:59 AM
The 93R17 is a great little gun. You can definitely get it to lock down tighter than 2", but you may have to try out ome different ammo. The actions on the Savage rifles tend to form love affairs with a certain type of load and refuse to shoot anything else.

For 17HMR, I really like the Hornady V-Max ballistic tips, but shoot several types until you find what works best for you. the 17 is a terrific round for anything from squirrels and crows up to coyotes and groundhogs. Be careful about deer, I know you can't use a rimfire to hunt them in NC.

And remember, no :beer: until after you're done shooting! :D

Evan
That is the round I am using. I have been looking for the 20 grain version but have not found any as they are all sold out.

As to hunting deer, I am not a hunter, I just like to shoot and fish,,,but if it came down to feeding the family, I would have no problems employing it for that purpose at all.

SmoothLures
11-20-2009, 01:54 PM
I shoot the 17 gr. V-Max as well, in the same bull barrel rifle, just the synthetic/stainless model. It's a tackdriver with them. But like was said, try different ammo til you find one the gun likes and then buy enough boxes of that round to last you a while.

zztopsail
11-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I shoot the 17 gr. V-Max as well, in the same bull barrel rifle, just the synthetic/stainless model. It's a tackdriver with them. But like was said, try different ammo til you find one the gun likes and then buy enough boxes of that round to last you a while.

I kinda wish I had bought the synthetic model as it would have been lighter and easier to hold on target, but I just wanted that wood look and feel of the rifles I have had in the past.

Shooter
11-20-2009, 07:14 PM
I have shot the 17HMRs and they are great little rounds but when I get my next baby vermin gun it will be in the Ruger 204 round,,, now ya want to talk about a round that explodes, that 204 is a screaming meany

kingfisherman23
11-21-2009, 07:42 PM
That .204 is a hot little number. You can put a hurting on things way out there.

My great-uncle bought one of the new triangular-barreled Remington 700SPS in 22-250 and that thing will peg them. I've heard of handload 22-250 rounds grouping inside two inches at 600-800 yards.

Evan

NcRon
11-22-2009, 05:55 PM

My savage synthetic likes the 17 gr vm also.What I like about it most is its not terribly loud.I've shot several groundhogs with mine,in the 100 to 125 yard range and none of them crawl back to the hole. :)

SmoothLures
11-24-2009, 12:53 AM
My savage synthetic likes the 17 gr vm also.What I like about it most is its not terribly loud.I've shot several groundhogs with mine,in the 100 to 125 yard range and none of them crawl back to the hole. :)

Yep it's a nice little crack, not a big boom.

zztopsail
11-27-2009, 04:30 PM
I picked up some 20 grain .17 HMR rounds from a local shop but have not shot them yet. What is the advantage/disadvantage of the 20 vs 17 grain rounds.

By the way, spent Thanksgiving out at my Brother-in-Law's dairy farm in upstate SC and we blew up a whole case of Kroger Diet Citrus Cans with my new Savage 17 HMR. Man those things just blew apart. Sent a couple of the can tops flying 20-30 feet in the air. Shot his son's .22 Ruger rifle at the same cans and all that did was punch a hole for the drink to more less "piss" out of. BIG difference in the two rounds

What a hoot and what a sweet gun. Had a good ole time in country.

By the way, Midsouth (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000383170)has the Hornady 17 grain .17 HMR Varmit Express 50 round boxes for $9.99.

SmoothLures
11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
No real advantage, apart from what your gun likes to group. If you hit a squirrel sized target up to a coyote, it's dead with either bullet.

gillmen
12-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Do you guys think a 17HMR will take down a turkey.

RuddeDogg
12-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Do you guys think a 17HMR will take down a turkey.

Absolutely............

SmoothLures
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Agreed, but it's not exactly sporting and is probably illegal where you live.

gillmen
12-04-2009, 01:15 PM
In Pa its legal to use rifles in the fall but not the spring.

HStew
12-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Ruger .204 [rem. sps] is LOUDER than I would have expected. No recoil. Scpoe does not move off target.I swear the bullet gets there before I pull the trigger !! Longer range than the .22 Hornet [200 yd.] and .223[250 yd.] louder too. Not as long a range or as accurate as .22-250 [but just as fast] and won't take down as big a target. One reason for .204 was cleaning ease of barrel. How is .17 on that particular point??

gillmen
12-08-2009, 08:04 AM
For me cleaning is a pain just because of the size of the bore you need to get a speical kit and the one i got still feels really tight.

Tracker16
12-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I have a Marlin 882SS that I scoped and at the indoor range I shoot at, it prints 1/4 inch groups at 25yrds. I'm sure when you get alittle practice time in the 17 will do the same for you

Hannibal
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I have that same gun but in a camo stock. Absolutely the most accurate rifle I own. It's dead nuts accurate at 100 yards (with little wind of course). I also use the Hornaday's.

Squirels HAVE to be head shots otherwise you will be left with torn shreds of a body.

Groundhogs drop instantly at 150 yards +.

I am quite confident it could drop a deer with the right shot - and definately a turkey.

They pack quite a punch. I shot at a cinder block down in a field to see how many rounds it would take to split. I don't remember the exact count but it wasn't many. Not too shabby for a lightweight .17 round.

It's hands down the most fun rifle I own.

Finger_Mullet
12-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I am positive it will drop a whitetailed deer! :rolleyes: One well place shot in the ear canal does it every time. :D

Although it is not legal in North Carolina.

bstarling
12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
I am positive it will drop a whitetailed deer! :rolleyes: One well place shot in the ear canal does it every time. :D

Although it is not legal in North Carolina.

It will shoot hell out of an electric wire too, won't it Darin? :D

Bill:fishing:

Finger_Mullet
12-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Bill,

It will blast thru a piece of pvc pipe along with the wire inside. Thanks for reminding me about that Bill!!! :rolleyes:

However it will not go all the way thru a 4x4.

Darin

zztopsail
12-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Well guys, I put my new Savage HMR up against the Do-all .22 cal reset targets over the Christmas holidays and the Do-all reset target lost.

I will post a pict latter but the 17 grain polymer tip V-Max at 30 yards, cratered the steel targets half way through and the 20 grain XTP full metal jacket round totally blew a clean hole through the 1/4 steel target with no problem.

So I guess that says that skull bone will not stand up to the .17 HMR :eek:

SmoothLures
12-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Well guys, I put my new Savage HMR up against the Do-all .22 cal reset targets over the Christmas holidays and the Do-all reset target lost.

I will post a pict latter but the 17 grain polymer tip V-Max at 30 yards, cratered the steel targets half way through and the 20 grain XTP full metal jacket round totally blew a clean hole through the 1/4 steel target with no problem.

So I guess that says that skull bone will not stand up to the .17 HMR :eek:

Would love to see 'em.