Question: 17 hmr [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Question: 17 hmr

zztopsail
09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
I have become intrigued with the 17 HMR rifles for their accuracy, power and most of all for their inexpensive plinking and varmit shooting. So I am looking to pick up a 17HMR soon (before Christmas) and I am wondering what you guys think would be the best route.

Now I want a Scope and I want a minimum 5-7 shot clip. I don't want a synthetic stock, I want a wood stock. Price range is $200-400. Carbines or bolt are fine. Would love a Henry Golden Boy but probably have to get the the wife hooked on a cheaper model first when we go to the range over the winter when fishing is not an option

kingfisherman23
09-16-2009, 08:07 PM
The Savage Mk II comes in a .17HMR option. The model is 93R17 I believe. The rifle itself uses the standard Mk II target bolt action but also includes a heavy target barrel, Savage's Accu-Trigger, a 5-round clip that can be upgraded to a 10-round from Savage and a wooden standard stock.

Dick's has them for sale, and if they don't have one in-store they can transfer it in a week or less.

Otherwise, you could order one from here and have it shipped to your local FFL:

.17HMR (http://www.17hmrpro.com/item/58422_Savage_Arms_Rifles_Shotguns_Savage_96222_93R17_GVXP_B.aspx)

zztopsail
09-16-2009, 09:28 PM
The Savage Mk II comes in a .17HMR option. The model is 93R17 I believe. The rifle itself uses the standard Mk II target bolt action but also includes a heavy target barrel, Savage's Accu-Trigger, a 5-round clip that can be upgraded to a 10-round from Savage and a wooden standard stock.

Dick's has them for sale, and if they don't have one in-store they can transfer it in a week or less.

Otherwise, you could order one from here and have it shipped to your local FFL:

.17HMR (http://www.17hmrpro.com/item/58422_Savage_Arms_Rifles_Shotguns_Savage_96222_93R17_GVXP_B.aspx)

I believe that is what the doctor ordered. Even has a bit of stock cherkering for that extra effect.

TY dude..believe I am gonna have to get one:D

Finger_Mullet
09-17-2009, 12:31 AM
It is a great little round. I bought one a few years ago just to carry around in my truck just in case something needs killing. You would be surprises how many things are in need of killing.

I bought the Savage with the synthetic stock. I slapped a 2x7x32 leopold on it and sighted it in. I shot a crow at 110 yards. Many squirrels from 10 yards to 125 at yards. A coyote at 100+ yards. Wiped out a pack of wild dogs that was killing a old man's calves.

My gun is kind of picky. I have shot about ievery round made thru this gun. The CCI seams to shoot the best. I don't remember the particulars but they are made by CCI.

Good luck in your purchase. My buddy bought one and it would not shot good at all. Mine shoots great. He sent his back to the factory because it would not shoot very well. He finally sold it. I think some shoot better than others.

SmoothLures
09-19-2009, 03:52 AM
Have the Savage that was mentioned above, in synthetic with the bull barrel. Absolutely a tack driver. Shoot 17 grain Hornady V-Max bullets. 4-14 Simmons on top of it. Buddy of mine breeds goats for extra cash, he had one that kept getting out and couldn't figure out how. Let's just say the .17HMR is a goat killing bullet.