ft fisher [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : ft fisher

fish4kings2
06-27-2009, 02:21 PM
heading out to ft fisher on sunday..wondering if anybody was catching anything and condition of the beach.this will be my frist time driving on the beach so let me see if i have it right,,,,tires 20 or 25 psi,drive in 4wd high,and drive slow....by the way i heard you can catch bait in the swash side of ft fisher,where.

lobstaman
06-27-2009, 03:22 PM
can be had at crossovers 3&4 inside the Fort. I netted some mud minnows and mullet when I was there later part of May-there are signs marking these well traveled exits over to the sound side-be sure to stay out of protected bird areas-best time for me was about 2 hrs before low tide! Good luck and give us a report.

Fireline20
06-27-2009, 09:30 PM
heading out to ft fisher on sunday..wondering if anybody was catching anything and condition of the beach.this will be my frist time driving on the beach so let me see if i have it right,,,,tires 20 or 25 psi,drive in 4wd high,and drive slow....by the way i heard you can catch bait in the swash side of ft fisher,where.

Was at the Fort this afternoon and the place was packed. Sand was in terrible condition :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:and saw multiple people stuck due to stupidity and not airing down. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I left around 3 PM but a major storm whipped through around 4 PM in Wilmington with torrential rains. If they got the same at the Fort, driving should be a lot better if the rains packed the sand down and hopefully less people there. Gotta believe that all the crap at OBX and their limited access is driving more people down to the Fort. I saw welcome in one breath and damn it in another

Was hot and flies were out....take bug spray and an umberella.

Caught nothing but only fished about 1.5 hours but I had some good hits on mud minnows on Carolina rigs reeling in slow. Gonna do the same on Sunday

I suggest getting there early. I will be. Look for my Blue Ford Explorer with SC tags...:fishing:

Kaleb5000
06-27-2009, 10:46 PM
when you are coming out to the ocean and you have to go left down the beach be careful there was three people stuck there this afternoon. just stay on the gas through there dont mat it just stay moving and you will be fine once your on the beach its not to bad right now.

gilly21
06-28-2009, 12:26 AM
I run a 2002 Explorer sport and when dropped to 18lbs I rarely need the 4WD. Is is all about pressure. You will not hurt your rubbers if you drop to the right lbs. Drop your truck to 20lbs and you will be fine in 4H.

Timmay
06-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Sharks is the report outa Fort Fisher. Sharks off the rocks; sharks off the surf; sharks and skates outa the inlets. Other than sharks croaker; and one 16 inch Flounder that tasted delicous.

Kaleb5000
06-28-2009, 08:09 AM
im sorry i ment to say when you have to go right down the beach but im sure everyone new that and Im just a idiot who doesnt know right from left

Fireline20
06-28-2009, 08:34 AM
It was rough driving on Saturday for sure. The ones stuck as you turned were big 4x4 trucks, and I saw them airing down to get unstuck.

I did see one thing that shocked me was someone in one of those new VW AWD was stuck within 100 yards of the gate. They did not air down and that thing has way to low of ground clearance to be attempting to get to the beach. I even saw the Ranger just ride right by them.

The sign says they will not assist and they mean it. They must have gotten out or called a tow truck cause they were gone when I left about 2.5 hours latter

Will be back on Sunday and I hope the rains packed that sand down

Ryan Y
06-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Lots sof pup sharks, but the sea mullet are still biting good on the falling tides as are the spots.

Drumboy
06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
I went off of the beach at the fort last week and caught plenty of croakers and grey trout trying to get a king bait. While trolling I caught a nice blacktip so the bigger ones are just a ways off the beach.

fish4kings2
07-02-2009, 06:56 PM
sorry i'm so late with the report,,, but got skunked nothing at all,,,tried to find the my way to the inlet to get bait but could not find it,,,got half way down the beach and stopped to fish... hopefuly this sunday will produce something,,,,,,

Timmay
07-02-2009, 07:07 PM
My buddy and I netted 41 mud minnows on one cast on a little inlet on that access road to the beach. Thats where I am getting bait from now on:o)

Drumboy
07-05-2009, 02:46 PM
If you were trying to find an inlet at fort fisher, there isn't one. Were you referring to Freeman Park?