Surf fishing in Nags Head-help [Archive] - PierandSurf.com | Pier and Surf Fishing Forum

View Full Version : Surf fishing in Nags Head-help

jdcoach5
06-16-2009, 10:24 PM
My family and I coming down to Nags head for vacation the last week in June. I wanted to do some surf fishing when we are there. Can anyone recommend bait and tackle?

Thank you.

2000Chevys104x4
06-17-2009, 12:59 AM
yeah i live in currituck county right above dare county or NAgs head. They're catching bluefish, Cobia(more of an advanced Fisherman kinda game), and spanish mackeral and such other fish. Make sure you have: some steel leaders, Chartreuse and pink Stingsilver, Chrome Stingsilver, a few bottom rigs, some 2 and 3 sized hooks, some 2 or 3 ounce pyramid weights, maybe 2 2-3 ounce beach bombers, some squid, some bloodworm or bloodworm alternative(fishbites), maybe some shrimp, Some Menhaden or mullet with a big ole snell hook will catch cobia. You can pick most of this up at Currituck Sports or if you would rather wait to get it closer to where you would use it maybe TW's, TI's, just look around theres tackle shops everywhere.

Rod wise i would take a medium to light-medium action for blue's and spanish.

Medium to heavy for Cobia

Theres also pompano being caught. a light rod will land one of those. with some small hooks on a bottom rig with bloodworm and cast right past where the beach drops off.

Good Luck

muirfollower
06-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi,

As far as surf casting goes in Nag's Head & Kill Devil area, is any place to go to avoid the tourists and swimmers when surf casting? And is very or very late evening the best time to surf cast on OB

beachcaster
06-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Early morning at or just before daylinght until after sunrise and anytime after dinner into the night seems to work for me best. During the heat of the day its been lights out fishing wise in the kitty hawk area so I cant speak for south of pelicans watch area

jdcoach5
06-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Thank you for the advice. We will give it a shot. Did you get out this weekend?

yeah i live in currituck county right above dare county or NAgs head. They're catching bluefish, Cobia(more of an advanced Fisherman kinda game), and spanish mackeral and such other fish. Make sure you have: some steel leaders, Chartreuse and pink Stingsilver, Chrome Stingsilver, a few bottom rigs, some 2 and 3 sized hooks, some 2 or 3 ounce pyramid weights, maybe 2 2-3 ounce beach bombers, some squid, some bloodworm or bloodworm alternative(fishbites), maybe some shrimp, Some Menhaden or mullet with a big ole snell hook will catch cobia. You can pick most of this up at Currituck Sports or if you would rather wait to get it closer to where you would use it maybe TW's, TI's, just look around theres tackle shops everywhere.

Rod wise i would take a medium to light-medium action for blue's and spanish.

Medium to heavy for Cobia

Theres also pompano being caught. a light rod will land one of those. with some small hooks on a bottom rig with bloodworm and cast right past where the beach drops off.

Good Luck

kingfisherman23
06-22-2009, 12:19 AM
JDCoach, you heading down this coming week or the 29th?